My boss is struggling to replace our legal secretary...

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
...only a few resumes have come in, and none of them seem qualified.

This is a bad problem for my boss, but it's great for American workers that there's now a labor shortage.

Maybe your boss had better pay more. More pay always equals more productivity and vice versa.

Last Secretary my last company had to replace they required a degree in English and 5 years experience; starting pay was $8 an hour, and they were endlessly puzzled as to why mobs of women weren't piling through the door. It's typical for employers who feel entitled to essentially free labor to blame it all on a 'labor shortage', never mind the last 20 years of driving people away from wasting a lot of money and time on 'job skills' companies want to pay nothing for. Let the Big Giant Bizness Jeenyuses answer their own phones and do their own typing.

A good secretary/admin is worth her weight in gold. We had one in my department before I retired that I swear was doing 3 jobs by herself. I kept telling her "Don't do this, you are enabling them taking advantage of you. She would say I know I know, but she kept doing it."

A good secretary/admin is worth her weight in gold. We had one in my department before I retired that I swear was doing 3 jobs by herself. I kept telling her "Don't do this, you are enabling them taking advantage of you. She would say I know I know, but she kept doing it."

Many in the bigger companies are easily worth mid-level management pay easily after a year or two, yet all they get for hard work is more work piled on them and crappy little 3% raises if they're lucky.

Many in the bigger companies are easily worth mid-level management pay easily after a year or two, yet all they get for hard work is more work piled on them and crappy little 3% raises if they're lucky.
The BOSSES she was working for could be gone for 2 weeks and no one noticed. If she was gone for a day, people were running around with their hair on fire.

Employers will never pay individuals what they are worth. They will often use the argument that rewarding one employee will upset salary equality in the workplace.

Most employers are unaware of the value, special talents, or productivity of individual employees. Not only unaware but unwilling to make themselves aware.

Most employees make the mistake of taking themselves out of the job market once they get a new job. This is a mistake. Employees should always make themselves aware of the job market in their profession even if they have just established themselves in a new position because the new position may not be what they expected and because there may be more lucrative opportunities.

I once asked a boss if a 35% pay rise was possible, and surprisingly, he said it was. However, I left the position anyway because another employer was prepared to pay me more than a 35% increase.

I left my first job after 2 years after securing a job that paid 50% more and had a profitability bonus on top of that.

Its no use asking for a pay rise unless you are prepared to quit if the answer is no.

This is a bad problem for my boss, but it's great for American workers that there's now a labor shortage.
Your boss is broker than you are

How much does it pay and what are the hours? If it's less than 70 hours, I might apply.

Just kidding.

Forum List

Back