Mysterious Polio-Like Illness Paralyzes 20+ Kids in Californian

Homosexual Muslims?!

troops coming back from Afghanistan?....

Nah, it would be country wide, not just California. The troops have been redeploying for sometime now. The article says its the same strain as those found in Asia. I've often wondered about the dust storms from Africa which hit Florida and the Caribbean, and those from China hitting California. They can carry microbes or other organisms and bacteria. Perhaps those bacteria/disease was carried in from a China Dust-storm since the symptoms started off as respiratory.

Do children still receive polio vaccinations?

Only the ones who have parents that aren't idiots.

It's too bad the Jenny McCarthys of the world will never be held accountable for the nonsense they spread, but then again who takes medical advice from someone whose whole claim to fame is have some rockin' tits?

International travel makes obscure illnesses not present in one place crop up from time to time in other places. And things like polio most assume are gone from this world in fact are not. Still a problem in some places, and those places likely have travellers coming here. Handfull of people contract tulerimia every year in the US as well. What's that you ask? Every hear of bubonic plague? :)

International travel makes obscure illnesses not present in one place crop up from time to time in other places. And things like polio most assume are gone from this world in fact are not. Still a problem in some places, and those places likely have travellers coming here. Handfull of people contract tulerimia every year in the US as well. What's that you ask? Every hear of bubonic plague? :)

very rare and mostly in the 4 corners area....the bubonic plague.....

and what about hanson's disease.......it is still with us

the rotary club has done great work in trying to do away with polio .....unfortunately extremists have stopped their efforts by killing health workers

Enterovirus outbreak from Missouri to Colorado...

Respiratory virus suspected in Midwest children's hospitalizations
Sat September 6, 2014 ~ 900 severe respiratory illness cases at Denver hospital, urgent care, says official; Missouri doctor calls situation "unprecedented" in terms of kids in intensive care; "This is the worst I've seen in my time," a Colorado doctor says; Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) causes respiratory illnesses like a cold, only worse
A respiratory virus is sending hundreds of children to hospitals in Missouri and possibly throughout the Midwest and beyond, officials say. The virus causes symptoms like a cold, except worse, and is prompting up to 30 children a day to seek care at one Kansas City hospital, where about 15% of the youngsters were placed in intensive care, officials said. In a sign of a possible regional outbreak, Colorado, Illinois and Ohio are reporting cases with symptoms similar to the same virus and are awaiting testing results, according to officials and CNN affiliates in those states.

In Kansas City, about 450 children were recently treated at Children's Mercy Hospital, and at least 60 of them received intensive hospitalization, spokesman Jake Jacobson said. "It's worse in terms of scope of critically ill children who require intensive care. I would call it unprecedented. I've practiced for 30 years in pediatrics, and I've never seen anything quite like this," said Dr. Mary Anne Jackson, the hospital's division director for Infectious Diseases. "We've had to mobilize other providers, doctors, nurses. It's big," she said. The Kansas City hospital treats 90% of that area's ill children and noticed an initial spike on August 15, Jackson said. "It could have taken off right after school started. Our students start back around August 17th, and I think it blew up at that point," Jackson said. "Our peak appears to be between the 21st and the 30th of August. We've seen some leveling of cases at this point."

Full scope unknown

An analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed at least 19 of the Kansas City children tested positive for Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68), according to the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services. Vaccines for EV-D68 aren't currently available, and there is no specific treatment for infections, the Missouri agency said. "Many infections will be mild and self-limited, requiring only symptomatic treatment," it said. "Some people with several respiratory illness caused by EV-D68 may need to be hospitalized and receive intensive supportive therapy."

Some cases of the virus might contribute to death, but none of the Missouri cases resulted in death and no data is available for overall morbidity and mortality from the virus in the United States, the agency said. Symptoms include fever, body and muscles aches, sneezing, coughing and rash, one hospital said. Jackson said physicians in other Midwest states reported cases with similar symptoms. "The full scope is yet to be known, but it would appear it's in the Midwest. In our community, meticulous hand-washing is not happening. It's just the nature of kids," Jackson said.

"Worst I've seen"

Forum List

Back