🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Myths and facts about Jerusalem and Temple Mount

Maryland -

So when are we posting CVs?

Do you want to go first?

You don't have to post your name or anything, but since you are obviously proud of your education, I think it's better to get this all out on in public.

it was a name the European Greeks gave to the land of the philistines over 3500 years ago. Are you fucking THICK or what?

Then why does he say "British"?

Herodotus, from Greece. referred to the southwestern coast of Israel by the Greek name "palaistine" referring to the land of the philistines, an Indo-European people.

The correct name of the land known by inhabitants of the Near East was Israel.

Your history lesson.

Ok, so no serious answers so far.

I am surprised.

I am always puzzled that anyone thinks they "win" a debate by running away from it.
Dude, I asked you to prove to me how Arab Palestiians go tback to the land over 3000 years ago and you pasted a partial quote (intentionally) which after i posted its entirety it was referring to THE PHILISTINES. You are dishonest in every way possible.

Next you changed the subject to "the origins of the name Palestine".

As I told you before you are your own worst enemy. Your arrogance has blinded you.

it was a name the European Greeks gave to the land of the philistines over 3500 years ago. Are you fucking THICK or what?

Then why does he say "British"?
British changed the name to Palestine Mandate. Syria was French mandate, and so on. Try to keep up. Honor student, you're not.

Ok, so no serious answers so far.

I am surprised.

I am always puzzled that anyone thinks they "win" a debate by running away from it.
Dude, I asked you to prove to me how Arab Palestiians go tback to the land over 3000 years ago and you pasted a partial quote (intentionally) which after i posted its entirety it was referring to THE PHILISTINES. You are dishonest in every way possible.

Next you changed the subject to "the origins of the name Palestine".

As I told you before you are your own worst enemy. Your arrogance has blinded you.

Arabs invaded Israel in the year 638 CE, 2000+ years after Jews had been living in Israel.

Maryland -

As I mentioned earlier, repeating the same myth again and again and again is not buiilding a case - it's merely symptomatic of Ass-burgers Syndrome.

Herodotus specifically and clearly does NOT refer only to the SW coast of Judea, but to...

The earliest occurrence of this name in a Greek text is in the mid-fifth century b.c., Histories of Herodotus, where it is applied to the area of the Levant between Phoenicia and Egypt."..."The first known occurrence of the Greek word Palaistine is in the Histories of Herodotus, written near the mid-fifth century B.C. Palaistine Syria, or simply Palaistine, is applied to what may be identified as the southern part of Syria, comprising the region between Phoenicia and Egypt.

Palestine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please acknowledge that you now understand this.

Maryland -

Do you want to go first?

You don't have to post your name or anything, but since you are obviously proud of your education, I think it's better to get this all out on in public.
Here we go, if it's not "travel credentials" it's posting CV's. Desperation is creeping in.

Hilarious.

Maryland -

As I mentioned earlier, repeating the same myth again and again and again is not buiilding a case - it's merely symptomatic of Ass-burgers Syndrome.

Herodotus specifically and clearly does NOT refer only to the SW coast of Judea, but to...

The earliest occurrence of this name in a Greek text is in the mid-fifth century b.c., Histories of Herodotus, where it is applied to the area of the Levant between Phoenicia and Egypt."..."The first known occurrence of the Greek word Palaistine is in the Histories of Herodotus, written near the mid-fifth century B.C. Palaistine Syria, or simply Palaistine, is applied to what may be identified as the southern part of Syria, comprising the region between Phoenicia and Egypt.

Please acknowledge that you now understand this.

Wikipedia, not exactly a scholarly source :lol:

Eminent Middle East Historian Bernard Lewis, Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Studies at Princeton University, Author, "The Middle East: A Brief History of the Last 2000 Years," "The Future of the Middle East," "The Shaping of the Modern Middle East," "The End of Modern History in the Middle East," Faith and Power: Religion and Politics in the Middle East", "The Arabs In History"
The adjective Palestinian is comparatively new. This, I need hardly remind you, is a region of ancient civilizations and of deep-rooted and often complex identities. But Palestine was not one of them. People might identify themselves for various purposes, by religion, by descent, or by allegiance to a particular state or ruler, or sometimes locality. But, when they did it locally it was generally either the city and immediate district or the larger province, so they would have been Jerusalemites or Jaffaites or the like, or Syrians, identifying with the larger province of Syria.

The constitution or the formation of a political entity called Palestine which eventually gave rise to a nationality called Palestinian and the reconstitution of Jerusalem is the capital were, it seems to me, very important, and as it turns out, lasting innovations of the British Mandate [1918-1948].
Political Words & Ideas in Islam: Bernard Lewis : 9781558764736: Amazon.com: Books

American Library Association
"For more than four decades, Bernard Lewis has been one of the most respected scholars and prolific writers on the history and politics of the Middle East. In this compilation of more than 50 journal articles and essays, he displays the full range of his eloquence, knowledge, and insight regarding this pivotal and volatile region."
http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/gener...usa&viewVeritySearchResults=true&ss=relevancy

it was a name the European Greeks gave to the land of the philistines over 3500 years ago

British changed the name to Palestine Mandate.

Um...right.

So then the name Palestine was not used PRIOR to the British changing the name to Palestine.

Except - obviously - the British did not name the mandate, the League of Nations did.

And secondly, the word 'Palestine' had been used for 600 years by the Romans et al.

So again - WHY does Maryland claim the British INVENTED the word Palestine?

Maryland -

Do you want to go first?

Did you graduate first class honors cum-laude from Nation of Islam University of Stupidity?

No I think that was Sunni.

Wikipedia, not exactly a scholarly source

Jesus wept......

^ Jacobson, David M. (February 1999). Weinstein, James M.. ed. "Palestine and Israel". Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research (The American Schools of Oriental Research) (313): 65–74. ISSN 0003097X. JSTOR 1357617. ""The earliest occurrence of this name in a Greek text is in the mid-fifth century b.c., Histories of Herodotus, where it is applied to the area of the Levant between Phoenicia and Egypt."..."The first known occurrence of the Greek word Palaistine is in the Histories of Herodotus, written near the mid-fifth century B.C. Palaistine Syria, or simply Palaistine, is applied to what may be identified as the southern part of Syria, comprising the region between Phoenicia and Egypt.

it was a name the European Greeks gave to the land of the philistines over 3500 years ago

Um...right.

So then the name Palestine was not used PRIOR to the British changing the name to Palestine.

Except - obviously - the British did not name the mandate, the League of Nations did.

And secondly, the word 'Palestine' had been used for 600 years by the Romans et al.

During 400 years of the Ottoman Empire, there was no palestine. The land of Israel was called Eretz Yisrael by Jews [land of Israel] and Suriya al-Janubiyya by Arabs [south Syria]

The British first called south Syria/Israel "Palestine" after collapse of the Ottoman Empire in World War I.

Your history lesson

Um...right.

Just like the Arabs changed the name of Judeah and Samaria after 3000 years to "West Bank". Is it still Judeah and Samaria or not?

Maryland -

Please try and post with a little integrity and self-respect.

Do you accept that the word 'Palestine' was used by Herodotus and by the Romans et al for around 600 years?

Just like the Arabs changed the name of Judeah and Samaria after 3000 years to "West Bank". Is it still Judeah and Samaria or not?

Yes, of course it is. To Israelis.

You call my country 'Finland'. I don't call it that.

Wikipedia, not exactly a scholarly source

Jesus wept......

^ Jacobson, David M. (February 1999). Weinstein, James M.. ed. "Palestine and Israel". Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research (The American Schools of Oriental Research) (313): 65–74. ISSN 0003097X. JSTOR 1357617. ""The earliest occurrence of this name in a Greek text is in the mid-fifth century b.c., Histories of Herodotus, where it is applied to the area of the Levant between Phoenicia and Egypt."..."The first known occurrence of the Greek word Palaistine is in the Histories of Herodotus, written near the mid-fifth century B.C. Palaistine Syria, or simply Palaistine, is applied to what may be identified as the southern part of Syria, comprising the region between Phoenicia and Egypt.

Which was the name for the land of the Philistines. Then the land and the people ceased to exist. One is gay as in happy the other is gay as in you. Two different associations dipshit!

The British first called south Syria/Israel "Palestine" after collapse of the Ottoman Empire in World War I.

No, genius - they did not.

The LEAGUE OF NATIONS did.

You know - any fifteen-year old high school student in this country knows this stuff. Why don't you?

Which was the name for the land of the Philistines.

At the time - very possibly. That actually makes little to no difference at all.

What matters is that the name remained, albiet somewhat bastardised, and came to include the other peoples who also lived in that land - and who were not Philistines and never had been.

Eminent Middle East Historian Bernard Lewis, Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Studies at Princeton University, Author, "The Middle East: A Brief History of the Last 2000 Years," "The Future of the Middle East," "The Shaping of the Modern Middle East," "The End of Modern History in the Middle East," Faith and Power: Religion and Politics in the Middle East", "The Arabs In History"
For Arabs, the term Palestine was unacceptable...For Muslims it was alien and irrelevant but not abhorrent in the same way as it was to Jews. The main objection for them was that it seemed to assert a separate entity which politically conscious Arabs denied. For them there was no such thing as a country called Palestine. The region which the British called Palestine was merely a separated part of a larger whole [Syria] For a long time organized and articulate Arab political opinion was virtually unanimous on this point.

The name Palestine had never been used by Jews, for whom the normal name of the country, from the time of the Exodus to the present day, was Eretz Israel.

At first, the country of which Palestine was a part was felt to be Syria. In Ottoman times, that is, immediately before the coming of the British, Palestine had indeed been a part of a larger Syrian whole from which it was in no way distinguished whether by language, culture, education, administration, political allegiance, or any other significant respect. The dividing line between British-mandated Palestine and French-mandated Syria-Lebanon was an entirely new one and for the people of the area was wholly artificial. It was therefore natural that the nationalist leadership when it first appeared should think in Syrian terms and describe Palestine as southern Syria

With the British conquest in 1917-1918 and the subsequent of a mandated territory in the conquered areas, Palestine became the official name of a definite territory for the first time since the early Middle Ages. To begin with, this designation was acceptable neither to Jews not ro Arabs. From the Jewish point of view it restored a name associated in the Jewish historic memory with the largely successful Roman attempt to destroy and obliterate the Jewish identity of the land of Israel. It was a name which had never been used in Jewish history or literature, and the very associations of which were hateful. From the outset, Jews living under the Mandate refused to use this name in Hebrew but instead used what had become the common Jewish designation of the country---Eretz Yisrael, the land of Israel. After a long battle, it was agreed that the official designation of the country in Hebrew on postage stamps, coins, etc would be Palestina, transcribed into Hebrew letters but followed by the abbreviation "aleph yod" For Jews, this was a common abbreviation for Eretz Yisrael. To Arabs, it could be presented as standing for Eretz Ishmael, the land of Ishmael.
Political Words & Ideas in Islam: Bernard Lewis : 9781558764736: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited:

Forum List

Back