N.J. troopers arrest woman for remaining silent during traffic stop

Both sides were stupid.

She didn't have to answer the question. She could have ask him why he was pulling her over but she did not need to answer his question at all. If it were a moving violation then write the ticket and let her go. It look like the officer was power tripping and will need to explain his stupidity...
we agree, however, and again not to sound redundant all the time, getting a license has obligations and interacting at times with law enforcement is one of those possibilities. There are rules. Now, you're correct, she doesn't have to answer him at the stop, but she will be brought in which is what happened. her decision, not his. Let's get some facts straight.
What was the outcome of her rights being violated????

Oh yeah, the supervisor apologized for the mistake the troopers made.
Any and all charges dropped, including the hilarious obstruction"charge."
Her vehicle returned without tow or impound charges.
The department is still involved in the lawsuit.

So yeah, let's introduce the facts...
What was the mistake the troopers made? Was it in the stop to begin with?
The stop was legal...however, after you hand over your documents you aren't required to respond to any questions asked by the Officers.

She invoked her 5th Amend Right to remain silent and was arrested as a result of exercising her Constitutional Right.

The Supervisor realized that they falsely arrested her and tried to head off a law suit, being that the woman was an attorney, she knew she already had them on the hook.

If you go in front of a Judge, you can't plead ignorance of the law as a defense and neither will these troopers...rookies or not.

If the people would watch the video the officer was power tripping because the female refused to answer him. All he had to say is she was pulled over for a traffic violation and ask her for the reason why she committed the violation and she could have stated she refuses to answer any questions which is her right and no he can not haul her down to the police station for not answering him.

She was not refusing to give him her driver information nor was her silence combative and this is the classic case of a officer trying to show off their ass while not realizing citizens have the right to remain silent like she was doing and he told her during the arrest...

Had she attempted to flee or was trying to hide anything then he had a reason to arrest but staying silent is no reason to arrest someone...

That whole "Do you know why i stopped you" shit is a ploy to get you to admit to breaking the law.

You never answer that question

When a cop pulls me over I will ask why I am being pulled over before they even can ask me a question. If they ask me if I know why and I know I had been speeding I will look at them and tell them write the ticket and let get on with our lives.

No need to ask a question and the person being pulled over will ask them usually.

The dashboard camera footage shows Stazzone approached the vehicle on the passenger side and asked Musarra for her license, registration and insurance.

"While you're looking for that, do you know why you're being pulled over tonight?" the trooper asked her, according to the tape. She claims she provided the documents but didn't respond.

After asking her several more times, Stazzone walked to the other side of her car, rapping on the window with his flashlight and again demanding a response.

"You're going to be placed under arrest if you don't answer my questions," he told her. Musarra claims the force of the flashlight chipped her window.

The footage shows she eventually told the trooper she was an attorney and that she did not have to answer questions. Stazzone then ordered her out of the vehicle.

As the two troopers cuffed her and walked her toward a troop car, Musarra asked them, "Are you detaining me because I refused to speak?"

"Yeah," Stazzone replied, according to the video. "Yeah, obstruction," Gosa added.

Yeah, another out of court settlement. These idiots arrested an Attorney for exercising her 5th Amendment Right and refusing to speak with them...

WATCH: N.J. troopers arrest woman for remaining silent during traffic stop

And?

You have the right to remain silent, but usually it's not a good idea.

Especially when the chick had nothing to gain by being a smart ass.
I'll never understand people who antagonize cops for no other reason than to be a shithead.

"Chick"?

Would you prefer bitch....dyke?

Look. A Trump supporter.

The dashboard camera footage shows Stazzone approached the vehicle on the passenger side and asked Musarra for her license, registration and insurance.

"While you're looking for that, do you know why you're being pulled over tonight?" the trooper asked her, according to the tape. She claims she provided the documents but didn't respond.

After asking her several more times, Stazzone walked to the other side of her car, rapping on the window with his flashlight and again demanding a response.

"You're going to be placed under arrest if you don't answer my questions," he told her. Musarra claims the force of the flashlight chipped her window.

The footage shows she eventually told the trooper she was an attorney and that she did not have to answer questions. Stazzone then ordered her out of the vehicle.

As the two troopers cuffed her and walked her toward a troop car, Musarra asked them, "Are you detaining me because I refused to speak?"

"Yeah," Stazzone replied, according to the video. "Yeah, obstruction," Gosa added.

Yeah, another out of court settlement. These idiots arrested an Attorney for exercising her 5th Amendment Right and refusing to speak with them...

WATCH: N.J. troopers arrest woman for remaining silent during traffic stop

And?

You have the right to remain silent, but usually it's not a good idea.

Especially when the chick had nothing to gain by being a smart ass.
I'll never understand people who antagonize cops for no other reason than to be a shithead.

"Chick"?

Would you prefer bitch....dyke?

Look. A Trump supporter.

Nah...I stole it from the hacked DNC emails.

I'm a tad conflicted on this one. However I do think she should have complied with a response.

I'm a tad conflicted on this one. However I do think she should have complied with a response.
Her response was to invoke her 5th Amend Rights...
That legally should end any and all conversation.
She did not have a 5th Amendment right, if not under Miranda, to talk to the police. She had to give up her license and registration on request. She has to reply to questions in relation to the stop.

Wow, it wasn't like the cops were asking her to fork over a million dollars and it also wasn't like they were asking her about something private when what she got pulled over for was put out there for everyone to see. Her choice to be silent only made the hole that she was already in get deeper and deeper.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

She did not have a 5th Amendment right, if not under Miranda, to talk to the police. She had to give up her license and registration on request. She has to reply to questions in relation to the stop.
Obviously you should do some research or have some training before you make another uninformed statement.

The very second a Police Officer activates his lights to pull you over, your Amend Rights attach.
The Officer reading your rights is a formality and he can choose when to read them to you, you don't have yo have permission from the Police to exercise your Rights...
She submitted her required documentation upon request and at that point fulfilled her legal obligation.
It's utterly stupid to suggest that she has to answer questions related to the stop and no precedent supports such nonsense.

I just ran a man over in my car a mile back and the police don't know that I did it so they are stopping the nearest car they come across.
In your world, if they ask me was I involved in the hit and run a mile back; I'm obligated to give them a full confession...lol.

Wow, it wasn't like the cops were asking her to fork over a million dollars and it also wasn't like they were asking her about something private when what she got pulled over for was put out there for everyone to see. Her choice to be silent only made the hole that she was already in get deeper and deeper.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
And now she is going to be climbing out of that hole with the pile of money they are going to fork over for violating her rights...

exactly and down to the station you go.
And end up with a pile of money from the lawsuit where my Rights were violated and that's after the supervisors admit the mistake and drop any charges...lol.
Please give me a night like this....

God bless you always!!!

Holly
And now she is going to be climbing out of that hole with the pile of money they are going to fork over for violating her rights...
If she thinks that them doing what is their job violates her rights, she shouldn't have given them a reason to pull her over in the first place if her rights had really meant that much to her.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Another thing that she should have remembered is the fact that them cops have rights too and her having rights doesn't mean that their rights are to be flushed down the toilet.

Last edited:

God bless you always!!!

Holly
If she thinks that them doing what is their job violates her rights, she shouldn't have given them a reason to pull her over in the first place if her rights had really meant that much to her.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
That's a deflectionary ( yeah I made it up) diversion based on intellectual laziness on your part.
She did exactly what she was required to do, no more and no less.
Their job is not to violate the Rights of citizens, what part of that confuses you???

Committing a traffic violation is not tantamount to saying please disregard my Constitutional Rights...smh.

I was a Police Officer for over 20 years.
As soon as I pull you over I'm looking for probable cause to either get in your car or search you.
What you say can go a long way in giving me reasonable suspicion or probable cause.

I was always nice, even when you gave me enough to lock you up.
Two things you say to the police: "This interaction is being recorded and saved off-site in real time."

"Am I being detained or am I free to go?"

Thats it!

Last edited:
Obviously you should do some research or have some training before you make another uninformed statement.

The very second a Police Officer activates his lights to pull you over, your Amend Rights attach.
The Officer reading your rights is a formality and he can choose when to read them to you, you don't have yo have permission from the Police to exercise your Rights...
She submitted her required documentation upon request and at that point fulfilled her legal obligation.
It's utterly stupid to suggest that she has to answer questions related to the stop and no precedent supports such nonsense.

I just ran a man over in my car a mile back and the police don't know that I did it so they are stopping the nearest car they come across.
In your world, if they ask me was I involved in the hit and run a mile back; I'm obligated to give them a full confession...lol.
Following your advice would get me a life sentence, you clown.

No one has no right not to talk to a police person in the performance of duties. In my world, if asked such a question, I would ask for an attorney. If I were stopped for speeding, I would comply with common sense questions.

You need to grow up, little one, and know the differences of your rights.

Following your advice would get me a life sentence, you clown.

No one has no right not to talk to a police person in the performance of duties. In my world, if asked such a question, I would ask for an attorney. If I were stopped for speeding, I would comply with common sense questions.

You need to grow up, little one, and know the differences of your rights.
When you are stopped for a traffic violation the police officer is required to tell you why he stopped you. You are required to present your driver license, the vehicle's registration and your insurance documents.

That is all.

You have been charged with an offense, therefore you are not required to further incriminate yourself by answering any questions. Most cops think you are required to submit to them in any and every way. They believe that because they tell each other that in the donut shop.

Forum List

Back