Name one federal or state law that you'd do away with.

That is not what candy is taking about and you know it unless you really don't live in the U. S. And don't understand our laws..

Candy was using a general example on how fucked up our judicial system is.

One is Kidnapping and Rape and the other is attempted Murder....

I understand some parts of the judicial system has to be improved but mandatory minimums have generally been a disaster.
crime-inprisonment-graph.jpg

Going to prison used to be about rehabilitation, the US has huge prison population and high recidivism rate.
http://www.salve.edu/sites/default/files/filesfield/documents/Incarceration_and_Recidivism.pdf

I am not saying as much Candy is wrong but he might be looking in the wrong place....

Another statistic which European find horrifying is cop Shootings:
You are
98 times more likely to be shot and killed by a cop in US than in the UK
72 times more likely to be shot and killed by a cop in US than in the UK, if white
242 times more likely to be shot and killed by a cop in US than in the UK, if black
20 times more likely to be shot and killed by a cop in US than in the UK, if unarmed(any weapon) compared to all killing in UK

What does that say about respect for the US citizen?

Well, I’d do other things too about the law. The OP limited me to “one” law. One of the first things I would get rid of is the possession of marijuana and bust it down to a citation offense. No need to have cops arresting you because you have a joint, aren’t operating a vehicle, sitting on your porch or are at a concert.

Honestly, take all criminality away from it IMHO. Regulate it...

There is massive advantages. Think the of the criminal economy, where are the major sources of revenue. Marijuana and Gambling are major sources (can't find a breakdown)... These are not considered crimes by most people. Thus like probation are just massive sources of revenue.

Gambling is legal in states and in many countries worldwide and can be done very responsibly and in UK & Ireland is one of the freeist marketplaces with betting exchanges accessible to the public to be able to bet or lay a horse. You choose to be a puter or a bookie.

Marijuana could be just treated like alcohol, licence to produce and licence to sell... Quality checked and regulated... % of Revenue from it can be targeted at drug rehab. This give nothing to criminal organisations...

I would do the same for prostitution...

Cut their money off.. Less money, criminals are let go... I know this is funny but they are businesses too. Less money, less attractive... Cops can concentrate on harder drugs, prisons can have less prisoners and concentrate on rehab rather than incarceration.
And when the prostitutes get pregnant? Then what?

Also, please expound on the affect on society of legalizing prostitution and unknowing spouses are infected with STDS and or families are broken up over it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

STDs are incredibly low in places like Nevada and the Netherlands where it's legal now. Way lower than banging a chick in the office. Sorry man, the facts don't support you
I see, so because STDS are lower in two places on the planet where prostitution happens to be legal (according to you) the STDS WILL ALSO BE LESS in places like New York, Chicago and San Francisco if we legalize it there too.

Right?

Still waiting for you to address the families which are disrupted, damaged or destroyed by spouse who will use "legalised" prostitution to cheat on their spouse, too.

Pretend you are a married woman with 2 or 3 kids and you find out from a now pregnant prostitute that she has been LEGALLY entertaining your husband.

Tell us what her views and actions should be. What you would EXPECT them to be.

Name one federal or state law that you'd do away with.

I'll start with making pot legal.

All of the gun laws that ban types of pistols and rifles, limit magazine capacity, and require permits and licenses to own or carry a gun. We can already arrest people who use guns to commit crimes, those laws do nothing but create criminals out of law abiding citizens....

I understand some parts of the judicial system has to be improved but mandatory minimums have generally been a disaster.

Going to prison used to be about rehabilitation, the US has huge prison population and high recidivism rate.
http://www.salve.edu/sites/default/files/filesfield/documents/Incarceration_and_Recidivism.pdf

I am not saying as much Candy is wrong but he might be looking in the wrong place....

You are
72 times more likely to be shot and killed by a cop in US than in the UK, if white
242 times more likely to be shot and killed by a cop in US than in the UK, if black
20 times more likely to be shot and killed by a cop in US than in the UK, if unarmed(any weapon) compared to all killing in UK

Well, I’d do other things too about the law. The OP limited me to “one” law. One of the first things I would get rid of is the possession of marijuana and bust it down to a citation offense. No need to have cops arresting you because you have a joint, aren’t operating a vehicle, sitting on your porch or are at a concert.

There is massive advantages. Think the of the criminal economy, where are the major sources of revenue. Marijuana and Gambling are major sources (can't find a breakdown)... These are not considered crimes by most people. Thus like probation are just massive sources of revenue.

Gambling is legal in states and in many countries worldwide and can be done very responsibly and in UK & Ireland is one of the freeist marketplaces with betting exchanges accessible to the public to be able to bet or lay a horse. You choose to be a puter or a bookie.

Marijuana could be just treated like alcohol, licence to produce and licence to sell... Quality checked and regulated... % of Revenue from it can be targeted at drug rehab. This give nothing to criminal organisations...

Cut their money off.. Less money, criminals are let go... I know this is funny but they are businesses too. Less money, less attractive... Cops can concentrate on harder drugs, prisons can have less prisoners and concentrate on rehab rather than incarceration.

Also, please expound on the affect on society of legalizing prostitution and unknowing spouses are infected with STDS and or families are broken up over it.

STDs are incredibly low in places like Nevada and the Netherlands where it's legal now. Way lower than banging a chick in the office. Sorry man, the facts don't support you
I see, so because STDS are lower in two places on the planet where prostitution happens to be legal (according to you) the STDS WILL ALSO BE LESS in places like New York, Chicago and San Francisco if we legalize it there too.

Right?

Still waiting for you to address the families which are disrupted, damaged or destroyed by spouse who will use "legalised" prostitution to cheat on their spouse, too.

Pretend you are a married woman with 2 or 3 kids and you find out from a now pregnant prostitute that she has been LEGALLY entertaining your husband.

I addressed the point you made. And if you're too butt lazy to verify factual data then so be it.

You think that legal means it's OK?

You think that it's not legal means people won't do it?

You said STDs would be higher. Empirical data says you're wrong. Way, way wrong. That's what I said, the rest you made up

Wouldn’t get rid of any laws before I’d standardize them all. Someone who murders someone today and someone who murders someone tomorrow next door can get different sentences if both are found guilty. And that goes for a lot of different crimes. The punishments should be the same in the same jurisdictions. Now, if you can help the police with other persecutions…that should be the only deciding factor in getting less time. Not if you were a model citizen before you capped that dude or if you were a gang banger with priors. The crimes are the same.

As for getting rid of laws; nearly all of the new abortion laws need to go.

Sorry law is a bit different...

So a guy who kidnaps and rapes 6 year old girl and leaves her for dead.

should get less than than the child father who shoots him.

That is not what candy is taking about and you know it unless you really don't live in the U. S. And don't understand our laws..

Candy was using a general example on how fucked up our judicial system is.

You are

Honestly, take all criminality away from it IMHO. Regulate it…
Support up to a point. If you buy a pack of cigs for a kid, you’ve broken the law. Same should be with marijuana.

And what we haven’t talked about is the synthetic is even worse. That should be treated as harshly as heroin IMHO.

But straight pot? C’mon. The cops would be the first ones to tell you that you’re losing the battle by focusing on some hobo with a couple of grams of pot on him.

I don’t find a lot to disagree with in those statements.

While we’re talking about crime and punishment and what have you and so on and so fourth, I haven’t thought it through yet (I do that a lot) but I think that Mr. Trump could institute a massive jobs program. Here it goes:

One per state so there is no NIMBY argument to be made.
A 500 to 2,000 bed prison in each state. Depending on historical inmate levels.
These prisons will specialize in one thing; if your state is over 98% capacity in it’s prison population, you can ship prisoners to this Federal Overflow prison to serve the rest of their sentence.

You create jobs building the prisons and staffing them. You allow states to persecute more criminals.

Right?

I addressed the point you made. And if you're too butt lazy to verify factual data then so be it.

You said STDs would be higher. Empirical data says you're wrong. Way, way wrong. That's what I said, the rest you made up
You are dodging questions that law makers would not be able to dodge.

Right?

I don't think those are questions that lawmakers should be deciding. Lawmakers making morality decisions? Talk about the least qualified people to do that

Right?

I don't think those are questions that lawmakers should be deciding. Lawmakers making morality decisions? Talk about the least qualified people to do that
Weighing the legality of prostitution and even drugs against the foreseeable impact on families and disease is not a moral decision... even if there may be a moral component. It's a legal decision first and it should not be made without at least some serious consideration for what the unintended consequences might be or will likely be.

Outside of the convoluted and ironically named "affordable health care law" which was as long as a Stephen King novel and almost as scary there weren't many memorable federal laws enacted. Barry Hussein preferred to govern like a monarch and issue hundreds of "executive orders" which had the power of laws but were not approved by congress. President Trump can erase them at the stroke of a pen.

Right?

Weighing the legality of prostitution and even drugs against the foreseeable impact on families and disease is not a moral decision... even if there may be a moral component. It's a legal decision first and it should not be made without at least some serious consideration for what the unintended consequences might be or will likely be.

You're begging the question, you haven't established that laws fix those problems. And they don't, they make them worse. They fund organized crime, destabilize countries, cause violence particularly in the inner city, drain money instead of at least taxing it. There is no benefit to the drug and prostitution and other morality laws and endless harm.

We are arguing two different things.

You: You oppose doing drugs, hiring prostitutes, etc.

Me: Should they be legal.

If you want to argue the first one, you need to find someone who disagrees with you. If you won't argue the second one and keep arguing the first one, fine, but it's dull to me because to me the second one is the question. Again we agree on the first one.

I spent 9 months in the Netherlands from June 2015 to March 2016 and didn't fire up one doobie or hire one call girl

Right?

Letting the most immoral among us, politicians, make our morality decisions. I'm going to pass on agreeing to that

After legalizing Cannabis I'd like to get rid of laws that allow Congress-Critters to ignore laws.

I wouldn't target individual laws, I would target the bureaucracies that have been given the power by Congress to make their own laws. These are the Agencies, Bureaus, Commissions, and other programs that are constitutionally illegitimate and harmful to Americans:
  1. Commerce Department
  2. Education Department
  3. Interior Department
  4. HUD
  5. Transportation Department
  6. Labor Department
  7. Homeland Security
  8. Council of Economic Advisors
  9. SBA
  10. IRS
  11. Federal Reserve
  12. NSA
  13. FDA
  14. Amtrack
  15. FEMA
  16. DEA
  17. FCC

That's be my choice for elimination on day one. Then we'd REALLY start cutting.

Well you seem happy to bankrupt the whole of the US... No IRS is that smart?

Right?

Letting the most immoral among us, politicians, make our morality decisions. I'm going to pass on agreeing to that
Pass on it all you want. That's the reality of our political system / government. No amount of tilting against the wind will ever change it either.

Right?

You're begging the question, you haven't established that laws fix those problems. And they don't, they make them worse. They fund organized crime, destabilize countries, cause violence particularly in the inner city, drain money instead of at least taxing it. There is no benefit to the drug and prostitution and other morality laws and endless harm.

We are arguing two different things.

You: You oppose doing drugs, hiring prostitutes, etc.

Me: Should they be legal.

If you want to argue the first one, you need to find someone who disagrees with you. If you won't argue the second one and keep arguing the first one, fine, but it's dull to me because to me the second one is the question. Again we agree on the first one.

I spent 9 months in the Netherlands from June 2015 to March 2016 and didn't fire up one doobie or hire one call girl
It's funny that you think banning them does more harm than good. I argue that legalizing it will do more harm than good too. Only the harm will done in other areas.

Furthermore, legalization even where it is already being tried has not eliminated crime or a criminal underground in those areas. Not all prostitutes will take a legal route. Neither will their pimps and Johnson. Neither are all the druggies going to stay on that legal path either.

So, legalization solves nothing.

I wouldn't target individual laws, I would target the bureaucracies that have been given the power by Congress to make their own laws. These are the Agencies, Bureaus, Commissions, and other programs that are constitutionally illegitimate and harmful to Americans:
  1. Commerce Department
  2. Education Department
  3. Interior Department
  4. HUD
  5. Transportation Department
  6. Labor Department
  7. Homeland Security
  8. Council of Economic Advisors
  9. SBA
  10. IRS
  11. Federal Reserve
  12. NSA
  13. FDA
  14. Amtrack
  15. FEMA
  16. DEA
  17. FCC

That's be my choice for elimination on day one. Then we'd REALLY start cutting.

Well you seem happy to bankrupt the whole of the US... No IRS is that smart?

Yes, yes it is.

After legalizing Cannabis I'd like to get rid of laws that allow Congress-Critters to ignore laws.

Which is why you should never vote far left!

But then again this irony impaired comment it coming from a far left drone and Hilary voter!

Forum List

Back