Name three things...

Nosmo King

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Buckle of the Rust Belt
Name three things you believe make America great. Identify yourself as either a Right Winger or Left Winger. Let's compare and contrast.

I'll start as a Left Winger.

Our diversity. America has been described as a 'melting pot', but I think America is more of a mixed salad. Each bit contributes amazing qualities while remaining unique and different.

Our National Parks is a demonstration of how we, collectively preserve and protect the most stunningly beautiful places in our land.

Our inventive nature shows how we can improve our lot by force of intellect. From jazz music to baseball, to our constitutional form of government, Americans have had the freedom and the means to come up with some very, very great stuff.

Last edited:
God
Family
Charity
True, but are those things unique to America?

No, you're right on that, Nosmo. I would have to refer to:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal and endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights including life,liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

THREE THINGS THAT MAKE AMERICA GREAT AND UNIQUE:

1). Affordable, yet good quality food (restaurants).
2). It's vicinity to Canada
3). It's vicinity to Mexico.

"Identify yourself as either a Right Winger or Left Winger."

There, that right there, that's one of the things really horrible about america. Ever wonder how that came to be so widely accepted into our collective consciousness?

Or who exactly benefits from that paradigm?

There, that right there, that's one of the things really horrible about america. Ever wonder how that came to be so widely accepted into our collective consciousness?

For the purposes of this thread, I'd like to understand the similarities of Left Wingers and Right Wingers where the greatness of America is concerned. I'm not trying to further divide us, I'm trying to discover what makes us united.

As neither a left nor right winger, libertarians would tend to agree America has been far less great than she could be for about the last 100 years, particularly the last 50. That would be what we call the progressive era...and the great society, which turned out to have cause far more harm than good.

When the collectivists of both parties stop forcing their will with taxes and mandatory programs that criminalize consensual activity between adults, America will once again realize its greatness.

Name three things you believe make America great. Identify yourself as either a Right Winger or Left Winger. Let's compare and contrast.

Our diversity. America has been described as a ',eating pot', but I think America is more of a mixed salad. Each bit contributes amazing qualities while remaining unique and different.

Our National Parks is a demonstration of how we, collectively preserve and protect the most stunningly beautiful places in our land.

Our inventive nature shows how we can improve our lot by force of intellect. From jazz music to baseball, to our constitutional form of government, Americans have had the freedom and the means to come up with some very, very great stuff.

The federal system of government.

the Bill of Rights

The Rule of law, Democracy, capitalism.

when push comes to shove....we will pull together....survival is always above cultural and racial divides

our diversity that allows speed of light inventions in major fields...

we dont quit....one of my favorite comments someone made about americans....even when faced with the realization the situation is impossible....americans will be going...well can we try this?

For the purposes of this thread, I'd like to understand the similarities of Left Wingers and Right Wingers where the greatness of America is concerned. I'm not trying to further divide us, I'm trying to discover what makes us united.
Since you didn't understand Fenton, then let me try. Not every person is one or the other of the choices you've provided.

we dont quit....one of my favorite comments someone made about americans....even when faced with the realization the situation is impossible....americans will be going...
Huh? Here are a few words for you: Cuba, Vietnam, Lebanon, Somalia, Democracy. The US quit on all of them. I don't blame them for quitting on the first 4 because the force against them was too strong. But the last one collapsed from within. Shame!

These labels were never for uniting, I simply reject 'em. Not criticizing your intent, but it's really late for that, too many of us bought into the "choice" we were shoved into by perceiving reality the way the system wants us to, imprinted us to.

Our diversity. America has been described as a ',eating pot', but I think America is more of a mixed salad. Each bit contributes amazing qualities while remaining unique and different.

the Bill of Rights

2aguy, I know you're Conservative. And yet you cite government, government and government as your three things.

Constitutional Republic

Rule of Law

Separation of Church and State

What makes these three attributes unique to the United States is that unlike any other ‘republic’ in the world, we actually have a functioning, sanctioned, and recognized republican form of government and representative democracy, we actually practice the doctrine of the rule of law, presidents leave office after two terms, regardless how popular, and laws that are ruled un-Constitutional are indeed rendered null and void – again, regardless how popular those laws might be.

And as for separation of church and state, this is unique to the United States, our own invention, recognizing the inherent evil of theocracies, and safeguarding citizens’ religious liberties – and the right of Americans to be free from faith altogether – immune from attack by the state.

I am a citizen of two countries, Greece and the USA. Greece has long clung to it's history for greatness. America is reduced to doing the same of late. The wind is out of America's sails and it is only kinetic energy that moves it forth. alas, this too will ebb and America will remain a large and still powerful country; but no longer great.

the Bill of Rights

2aguy, I know you're Conservative. And yet you cite government, government and government as your three things.

No...I cite limits and checks on the power of government........please think before you post.......

The federal system is meant to keep the government from becoming big and powerful...with the states and federal government fighting over power...

The bill of rights defines what the government can't do to the human being....

The rule of law again allows the individual recourse against unlawful acts by the government...

Democracy..dittos....

Capitalism...the free exchange of goods and services which means the government does not control the economy....

Where in any of that is bigger government...?

Constitutional Republic

Rule of Law

Separation of Church and State

What makes these three attributes unique to the United States is that unlike any other ‘republic’ in the world, we actually have a functioning, sanctioned, and recognized republican form of government and representative democracy, we actually practice the doctrine of the rule of law, presidents leave office after two terms, regardless how popular, and laws that are ruled un-Constitutional are indeed rendered null and void – again, regardless how popular those laws might be.

And as for separation of church and state, this is unique to the United States, our own invention, recognizing the inherent evil of theocracies, and safeguarding citizens’ religious liberties – and the right of Americans to be free from faith altogether – immune from attack by the state.

Unless they are bakers, pizza makers, photographers, or own a bed and breakfast...then the state controls the religious expression....

You fail, again.

we used to have a 10th amendment

It used to be personal what we bought and sold and to who

And we used to have some sort of freedom

Since you didn't understand Fenton, then let me try. Not every person is one or the other of the choices you've provided.
The vast majority of Americans are centrist, meaning they support tenets of both the left and right, depending on the particular issue or issues. Proof of this is the growing number of "independents" and non-affiliated voters and the "crossover voters".

Forum List

Back