🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

NASA : Antarctica is ****GAINING**** ice

What you do is click on the link in the OP, then scroll down. :)
here is what I found sweetie:

"Zwally’s team calculated that the mass gain from the thickening of East Antarctica remained steady from 1992 to 2008 at 200 billion tons per year, while the ice losses from the coastal regions of West Antarctica and the Antarctic Peninsula increased by 65 billion tons per year.

“The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimeters per year away,” Zwally said. “But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for.”"

So I'm still curious where you got your news from. It wasn't from that report, so again, if sea ice melts does sea level rise? tough question to answer especially for you.

I've already told you that the info I posted is from the same link...just scroll down.
I'm still looking for where it states that sea ice melt increases sea level.. Please post up that excerpt please.

I don't believe you read the article I posted correctly.

Greenland loses ice to the sea mainly through twoprocesses: the shedding of icebergs from glaciers that run into the sea, and surface melt runoff.

Observations from the Jason series have revolutionized scientists' understanding of contemporary sea level rise and its causes. We know that today's sea level rise is about one-third the result of the warming of existing ocean water, with the remainder coming from melting land ice.

“Solid ice losses have been studied in great detail by scientists for years, but the melt water component, despite being the dominant agent in the ice sheet's mass balance, has received comparatively less study,” Smith said. “This is particularly true for the surface water hydrology on top of the ice sheet, which has received very little study.”

The handful of ice sheet surface hydrology studies have mostly focused on Greenland’s massive melt water lakes, which can disappear in a matter of hours, engulfed by the ice. But Smith and his team believe that rivers sinking into holes in the ice are the main agent transporting water from the top to the bottom of the ice sheet.

“While lake drainages do suddenly pump a large volume of water all at once to the ice sheet, in fact the amount of water they put into the ice sheet is almost trivial compared to the flux of water moving through these intricate, very efficient drainage networks [of rivers] that spread across the surface of the ablation [or melt] zone each summer,” Smith said.

Besides contributing to sea level rise, melt water runoff also accelerates ice loss: when the water percolates through the ice sheet and reaches the rock below, it slightly lifts the ice, helping it flow faster toward the ocean. Also, the intensity and area of surface melt are projected to increase with climate change.

Warming Seas, Melting Ice Sheets
again, it states melting land ice, still not sure where you get the rise from sea ice. Please explain.

You're the only one screaming about sea ice.

"Zwally’s team calculated that the mass gain from the thickening of East Antarctica remained steady from 1992 to 2008 at 200 billion tons per year, while the ice losses from the coastal regions of West Antarctica and the Antarctic Peninsula increased by 65 billion tons per year.

“The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimeters per year away,” Zwally said. “But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for.”"

So I'm still curious where you got your news from. It wasn't from that report, so again, if sea ice melts does sea level rise? tough question to answer especially for you.

I've already told you that the info I posted is from the same link...just scroll down.
I'm still looking for where it states that sea ice melt increases sea level.. Please post up that excerpt please.

I don't believe you read the article I posted correctly.

Greenland loses ice to the sea mainly through twoprocesses: the shedding of icebergs from glaciers that run into the sea, and surface melt runoff.

Observations from the Jason series have revolutionized scientists' understanding of contemporary sea level rise and its causes. We know that today's sea level rise is about one-third the result of the warming of existing ocean water, with the remainder coming from melting land ice.

“Solid ice losses have been studied in great detail by scientists for years, but the melt water component, despite being the dominant agent in the ice sheet's mass balance, has received comparatively less study,” Smith said. “This is particularly true for the surface water hydrology on top of the ice sheet, which has received very little study.”

The handful of ice sheet surface hydrology studies have mostly focused on Greenland’s massive melt water lakes, which can disappear in a matter of hours, engulfed by the ice. But Smith and his team believe that rivers sinking into holes in the ice are the main agent transporting water from the top to the bottom of the ice sheet.

“While lake drainages do suddenly pump a large volume of water all at once to the ice sheet, in fact the amount of water they put into the ice sheet is almost trivial compared to the flux of water moving through these intricate, very efficient drainage networks [of rivers] that spread across the surface of the ablation [or melt] zone each summer,” Smith said.

Besides contributing to sea level rise, melt water runoff also accelerates ice loss: when the water percolates through the ice sheet and reaches the rock below, it slightly lifts the ice, helping it flow faster toward the ocean. Also, the intensity and area of surface melt are projected to increase with climate change.

Warming Seas, Melting Ice Sheets
again, it states melting land ice, still not sure where you get the rise from sea ice. Please explain.

You're the only one screaming about sea ice.
nah, it was davros who started it off of your post.

What you do is click on the link in the OP, then scroll down. :)

still land ice, waiting on that explanation of sea ice melt and sea rise.

I'm simply addressing the hazards of the rising sea level.

of concern only to the fringe sweets..........which means nobody cares.:2up::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

of concern only to the fringe sweets..........which means nobody cares.:2up::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

You mean scientists?

Yep, I'm still going with them vs an idiot on a forum.

You mean scientists?

Yep, I'm still going with them vs an idiot on a forum.

The idiot is taking bows sweets...................:2up::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Nobody cares about the "scientists"..............

[URL=http://s42.photobucket.com/user/baldaltima/media/pew-report-climate-change.jpg.html][/URL]

Renewable energy continues to be a fucking joke!!!:spinner::spinner:

Like Ive been saying for years..........progressives have a distinct inability to connect the dots.:up:

[URL=http://s42.photobucket.com/user/baldaltima/media/bumfook_1.jpg.html][/URL]

Boy do I agree with that sentiment! Have you ever noticed that the global warming supporters don't actually DO anything about pollution? If things were as dire as they claim don't you think that they would be mandating actual controls of pollution? But no. There are no controls at all. You can continue to pollute as much as you want, you just have to pay some rich people for the privilege.

"Reporting on Antarctic ice often fails to recognise the fundamental difference between sea ice and land ice. Antarctic land ice is the ice which has accumulated over thousands of years on the Antarctica landmass through snowfall. This land ice therefore is actually stored ocean water that once evaporated and then fell as precipitation on the land. Antarctic sea ice is entirely different as it is ice which forms in salt water during the winter and almost entirely melts again in the summer.

Importantly, when land ice melts and flows into the oceans global sea levels rise on average; when sea ice melts sea levels do not change measurably but other parts of the climate system are affected, like increased absorbtion of solar energy by the darker oceans.

To summarize the situation with Antarctic ice trends:

* Antarctic land ice is decreasing at an accelerating rate
* Antarctic sea ice is increasing despite the warming Southern Ocean
"
Is Antarctica losing or gaining ice?

Good explanation of what's happening and the key difference between land and sea ice.

These morons will find a way to spin anything................:2up:

It is a hoot to see progressives collective heads explode when data doesn't conform to their established narrative.....Like when the NOAA is nailed rigging data!!

Here, you have a government agency admitting ice expansion which to the AGW nutters is like a gigantic insertion of the knobby cucumber.........the responses on here are hysterical.:bye1::bye1:

:blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup:

Forum List

Back