🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

NASA : Antarctica is ****GAINING**** ice

Sea ice melt could change ocean currents.

Melting Arctic Sea Ice
dudette, you stated sea level rise, not ocean currents. so please pay attention to what you wrote. Now do you know that sea ice melt will not increase sea level? Please say you now get that. And did you know that sea melts every year in both polar sites? I haven't seen any hazards yet, all but one, when the observation boats got iced in on increasing ice near the antarctic and arctic. funny stuff you know?

If you read the text of the OP you realize they're not just talking about sea ice.
I see Carla posted this, you just agree with it:

"NASA Study Shows Global Sea Ice Diminishing, Despite Antarctic Gains
Sea ice increases in Antarctica do not make up for the accelerated Arctic sea ice loss of the last decades, a new NASA study finds. As a whole, the planet has been shedding sea ice at an average annual rate of 13,500 square miles (35,000 square kilometers) since 1979, the equivalent of losing an area of sea ice larger than the state of Maryland every year.

“Even though Antarctic sea ice reached a new record maximum this past September, global sea ice is still decreasing,” said Claire Parkinson, author of the study and climate scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. “That’s because the decreases in Arctic sea ice far exceed the increases in Antarctic sea ice.”

NASA Study Shows Global Sea Ice Diminishing, Despite Antarctic Gains"

it says SEA ICE, and oh btw, it also says antarctic 'gains'. So it appears your text stated sea ice diminishing, how else doe sea ice diminish if not melt?

Now again, what is the problem?
Guilty as charged, I thanked Carl's post without reading it. It was a different article than the one in the OP so I'm not sure why she posted that.
BTW, you can take off your thank you from her post, and you should also perhaps apologize to the OP for the miss. Just saying it goes a long way and all.
I don't need to apologize to the OP because he didn't read his own link. His link was clearly not a global warming denial piece. I'm not thinking he would have posted it if he had actually read it.
he didn't state it did. He posted up about land ice increase in the Antarctic. What does that have to do with global? BTW, from NASA.
He quoted the article and then posted some little meme that denied global warming. He acted like this article disproved global warming when the authors clearly stated that they believe global warming is happening and that net loss of ice from Antarctica soon will happen.

He posted this up as if it disproves global warming when it doesn't.

All we know for certain is that global warming is sweeping the ocean like the mud shark

I see Carla posted this, you just agree with it:

"NASA Study Shows Global Sea Ice Diminishing, Despite Antarctic Gains
Sea ice increases in Antarctica do not make up for the accelerated Arctic sea ice loss of the last decades, a new NASA study finds. As a whole, the planet has been shedding sea ice at an average annual rate of 13,500 square miles (35,000 square kilometers) since 1979, the equivalent of losing an area of sea ice larger than the state of Maryland every year.

“Even though Antarctic sea ice reached a new record maximum this past September, global sea ice is still decreasing,” said Claire Parkinson, author of the study and climate scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. “That’s because the decreases in Arctic sea ice far exceed the increases in Antarctic sea ice.”

NASA Study Shows Global Sea Ice Diminishing, Despite Antarctic Gains"

it says SEA ICE, and oh btw, it also says antarctic 'gains'. So it appears your text stated sea ice diminishing, how else doe sea ice diminish if not melt?

Now again, what is the problem?
Guilty as charged, I thanked Carl's post without reading it. It was a different article than the one in the OP so I'm not sure why she posted that.
BTW, you can take off your thank you from her post, and you should also perhaps apologize to the OP for the miss. Just saying it goes a long way and all.
I don't need to apologize to the OP because he didn't read his own link. His link was clearly not a global warming denial piece. I'm not thinking he would have posted it if he had actually read it.
he didn't state it did. He posted up about land ice increase in the Antarctic. What does that have to do with global? BTW, from NASA.
He quoted the article and then posted some little meme that denied global warming. He acted like this article disproved global warming when the authors clearly stated that they believe global warming is happening and that net loss of ice from Antarctica soon will happen.

ok, your view, not mine. I read it differently. but I maintain that there is no evidence global warming is causing anything in the Antarctic or arctic regions. None. No one has any evidence. zip, the statements all sink.

ok, your view, not mine. I read it differently. but I maintain that there is no evidence global warming is causing anything in the Antarctic or arctic regions. None. No one has any evidence. zip, the statements all sink.
Why would glaciers be losing ice all over the world if not from global warming?

Sea ice melt could change ocean currents.

Melting Arctic Sea Ice
dudette, you stated sea level rise, not ocean currents. so please pay attention to what you wrote. Now do you know that sea ice melt will not increase sea level? Please say you now get that. And did you know that sea melts every year in both polar sites? I haven't seen any hazards yet, all but one, when the observation boats got iced in on increasing ice near the antarctic and arctic. funny stuff you know?
Carla's link stated that global sea ice is diminishing.

And from your own link it says....

NASA Study Shows Global Sea Ice Diminishing, Despite Antarctic Gains

dudette, did you really just post that? funny stuff right there. You probably won't get it since you posted it, but think about what sea ice is for moment, and what would be wrong with diminishing sea ice. What are the hazards of that dear?

Maybe this will help.

Greenland loses ice to the sea mainly through two processes: the shedding of icebergs from glaciers that run into the sea, and surface melt runoff.

Observations from the Jason series have revolutionized scientists' understanding of contemporary sea level rise and its causes. We know that today's sea level rise is about one-third the result of the warming of existing ocean water, with the remainder coming from melting land ice.

“Solid ice losses have been studied in great detail by scientists for years, but the melt water component, despite being the dominant agent in the ice sheet's mass balance, has received comparatively less study,” Smith said. “This is particularly true for the surface water hydrology on top of the ice sheet, which has received very little study.”

The handful of ice sheet surface hydrology studies have mostly focused on Greenland’s massive melt water lakes, which can disappear in a matter of hours, engulfed by the ice. But Smith and his team believe that rivers sinking into holes in the ice are the main agent transporting water from the top to the bottom of the ice sheet.

“While lake drainages do suddenly pump a large volume of water all at once to the ice sheet, in fact the amount of water they put into the ice sheet is almost trivial compared to the flux of water moving through these intricate, very efficient drainage networks [of rivers] that spread across the surface of the ablation [or melt] zone each summer,” Smith said.

Besides contributing to sea level rise, melt water runoff also accelerates ice loss: when the water percolates through the ice sheet and reaches the rock below, it slightly lifts the ice, helping it flow faster toward the ocean. Also, the intensity and area of surface melt are projected to increase with climate change.

Warming Seas, Melting Ice Sheets

Most scientists disagree with you. I'm going with the scientists on this one.

the rising of what sea level? What the hell are you talking about? come on carla, please don't stay stupid when it's been proven you're wrong about sea level rise and melting sea ice. Just don't. You look foolish and stupid.

Yep, I'm going with the scientists, instead of some ding dong poster on a forum.

Sea level is rising — and at an accelerating rate — especially along the U.S. East Coast and Gulf of Mexico
  • Global average sea level rose roughly eight inches from 1880 - 2009.
  • The average annual rate of global sea level rise accelerated from 1993 - 2008, increasing 65 - 90 percent above the twentieth century average.
  • The U.S. East Coast and Gulf of Mexico experienced some of the world's fastest rates of sea level rise in the twentieth century due to local and regional factors.
Causes of Sea Level Rise: What the Science Tells Us (2013)

Let's say this is true. How is supposed to effect us?

Do you think polar bears will appear in your backyard?

For some weird reason, nitwits always think of "global" as their backyard. Seriously, if you're this ignorant, there's no point in having us having a discussion.

I don't have time for you.
then what is your point about sea ice diminishing? What is the hazard? I believe the only option is polar bears right, penguins maybe?

OMG, you are as dumb as a box of rock. What's the hazard....are you fucking kidding me?

Do me a favor and take your mouse over to the Google, and type in "what are the dangers of rising sea levels."

• Threats to coastal communities. Some 40 percent of the world's population lives within 62 miles (100 kilometers) of the ocean, putting millions of lives and billions of dollars' worth of property and infrastructure at risk.
    • High tides and storm surges riding on ever-higher seas are more dangerous to people and coastal infrastructure.
    • Natural protections against damaging storm surges are increasingly threatened. Barrier islands, beaches, sand dunes, salt marshes, mangrove stands, and mud and sand flats retreat inland as sea level rises, unless there are obstructions along the retreat path. If they cannot move, these natural protections are washed over or drowned.
    • Many shorelines have sea walls, jetties, and other artificial defenses to protect roads, buildings, and other vital coastal resources. In these areas, sea-level rise increases erosion of stranded beaches, wetlands, and engineered structures
  • Saltwater intrusion. Sea-level rise can mean that saltwater intrudes into groundwater drinking supplies, contaminates irrigation supplies, or overruns agricultural fields. Low-lying, gently sloping coastal areas are particularly vulnerable to contamination of freshwater supplies.
Global Warming Effects on Sea Level

sweetie.........a huge majority doesn't get hysterical over shit like this. You and the other few AGW goofballs on here tend to get hysterical about fucking everything!!!

Nobody is giving a shit about this stuff in 2015.........sorry......maybe that's a disconnect for you but most people have real responsibilities in life and are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too consumed in getting through day to day huge problems. Dollar to a thousand stale donuts a 3mm rise in sea levels = OFF THE RADAR!!!:2up::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Ive posted Pew, Gallup and Rasmussen polls up many times........20+ list of concerns Americans have. Global warming? Consistently dead last or second to dead last........since 2010. Nobody cares except the OCD k00ks.!!!:funnyface::funnyface::funnyface::fu:

Why would glaciers be losing ice all over the world if not from global warming?
there could be many different factors including warming of the globe, but to say that's it is ridicules since glaciers melt and rebuild, so it follows natural weather cycles due to the climate. Period.You do know that the glaciers in greenland, haven't always been there right? What happened to the glaciers of north america?

the scientists can yip and yap until the cows come home. Been doing it for 2 decades and still nobody is giving a rats ass. If they did, we'd see massive legislation.......but we don't see dick. Sheeeeeeeeet...........its not even introduced to the floor anymore because its politically radioactive. You may not like that honey but well..........too fucking bad....:banana:.....in the end, life is always about the politics you fucking bozo!!:coffee:

Let's say this is true. How is supposed to effect us?

Do you think polar bears will appear in your backyard?

For some weird reason, nitwits always think of "global" as their backyard. Seriously, if you're this ignorant, there's no point in having us having a discussion.

then what is your point about sea ice diminishing? What is the hazard? I believe the only option is polar bears right, penguins maybe?

OMG, you are as dumb as a box of rock. What's the hazard....are you fucking kidding me?

Do me a favor and take your mouse over to the Google, and type in "what are the dangers of rising sea levels."

• Threats to coastal communities. Some 40 percent of the world's population lives within 62 miles (100 kilometers) of the ocean, putting millions of lives and billions of dollars' worth of property and infrastructure at risk.
    • High tides and storm surges riding on ever-higher seas are more dangerous to people and coastal infrastructure.
    • Natural protections against damaging storm surges are increasingly threatened. Barrier islands, beaches, sand dunes, salt marshes, mangrove stands, and mud and sand flats retreat inland as sea level rises, unless there are obstructions along the retreat path. If they cannot move, these natural protections are washed over or drowned.
    • Many shorelines have sea walls, jetties, and other artificial defenses to protect roads, buildings, and other vital coastal resources. In these areas, sea-level rise increases erosion of stranded beaches, wetlands, and engineered structures
  • Saltwater intrusion. Sea-level rise can mean that saltwater intrudes into groundwater drinking supplies, contaminates irrigation supplies, or overruns agricultural fields. Low-lying, gently sloping coastal areas are particularly vulnerable to contamination of freshwater supplies.

sweetie.........a huge majority doesn't get hysterical over shit like this. You and the other few AGW goofballs on here tend to get hysterical about fucking everything!!!

Nobody is giving a shit about this stuff in 2015.........sorry......maybe that's a disconnect for you but most people have real responsibilities in life and are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too consumed in getting through day to day huge problems. Dollar to a thousand stale donuts a 3mm rise in sea levels = OFF THE RADAR!!!:2up::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Ive posted Pew, Gallup and Rasmussen polls up many times........20+ list of concerns Americans have. Global warming? Consistently dead last or second to dead last........since 2010. Nobody cares except the OCD k00ks.!!!:funnyface::funnyface::funnyface::fu:

So you're saying that American's are stupid. I AGREE!

Again, I'm going with the scientists on this one, and not some idiot on a forum.

Coastal land underwater with sea level rising
As global temperatures rise, the oceans warm slightly and expand, ice caps and glaciers melt, and more precipitation falls as rain instead of snow. This causes sea levels to rise. Most climate change models forecast a global sea-level rise of half a meter (over 1½ feet) by 2100.

Globally, sea levels rose four to ten inches in the last century. Researchers expect sea levels to continue rising.

With over 2,300 miles of marine coastline, much of Washington’s population lives, works, and thrives in coastal areas. Coastal communities are particularly vulnerable to the effects of climate change, which puts much of the state’s population at risk – homes, infrastructure, livelihoods, and even lives.

Coastal climate change effects include:

• coastal community flooding
  • coastal erosion and landslides
  • seawater well intrusion, and
  • Lost wetlands and estuaries.
Melting glaciers, ice fields and polar ice caps, plus warming ocean waters all contribute to rising sea levels.

Climate Change Effects - Rising Sea Level in depth

Light bulbs..........mental cases like Carla have been successful at generating enough enthusiasm to promote light bulb legislation in the past 6 years. THATS IT..........fucking light bulbs.

Take a bow sweets...........:spinner::spinner::spinner:

dudette, did you really just post that? funny stuff right there. You probably won't get it since you posted it, but think about what sea ice is for moment, and what would be wrong with diminishing sea ice. What are the hazards of that dear?

Maybe this will help.

Greenland loses ice to the sea mainly through two processes: the shedding of icebergs from glaciers that run into the sea, and surface melt runoff.

Observations from the Jason series have revolutionized scientists' understanding of contemporary sea level rise and its causes. We know that today's sea level rise is about one-third the result of the warming of existing ocean water, with the remainder coming from melting land ice.

“Solid ice losses have been studied in great detail by scientists for years, but the melt water component, despite being the dominant agent in the ice sheet's mass balance, has received comparatively less study,” Smith said. “This is particularly true for the surface water hydrology on top of the ice sheet, which has received very little study.”

The handful of ice sheet surface hydrology studies have mostly focused on Greenland’s massive melt water lakes, which can disappear in a matter of hours, engulfed by the ice. But Smith and his team believe that rivers sinking into holes in the ice are the main agent transporting water from the top to the bottom of the ice sheet.

“While lake drainages do suddenly pump a large volume of water all at once to the ice sheet, in fact the amount of water they put into the ice sheet is almost trivial compared to the flux of water moving through these intricate, very efficient drainage networks [of rivers] that spread across the surface of the ablation [or melt] zone each summer,” Smith said.

Besides contributing to sea level rise, melt water runoff also accelerates ice loss: when the water percolates through the ice sheet and reaches the rock below, it slightly lifts the ice, helping it flow faster toward the ocean. Also, the intensity and area of surface melt are projected to increase with climate change.

wow, the ultimate stupid posted up for all to see. Carla says Sea ice melt increases sea level rise. Now I'm a fairly reasonable person, so, carla, please go look that up again. remember if you add ice to a glass full of liquid, note the level of the fluid, when the ice melts will the fluid rise? Please, please, answer the question. I want to believe you're smarter than that. maybe look up volume.

So you're saying that American's are stupid. I AGREE!

Again, I'm going with the scientists on this one, and not some idiot on a forum.

Coastal land underwater with sea level rising
As global temperatures rise, the oceans warm slightly and expand, ice caps and glaciers melt, and more precipitation falls as rain instead of snow. This causes sea levels to rise. Most climate change models forecast a global sea-level rise of half a meter (over 1½ feet) by 2100.

Globally, sea levels rose four to ten inches in the last century. Researchers expect sea levels to continue rising.

With over 2,300 miles of marine coastline, much of Washington’s population lives, works, and thrives in coastal areas. Coastal communities are particularly vulnerable to the effects of climate change, which puts much of the state’s population at risk – homes, infrastructure, livelihoods, and even lives.

Coastal climate change effects include:

• coastal community flooding
  • coastal erosion and landslides
  • seawater well intrusion, and
  • Lost wetlands and estuaries.
Melting glaciers, ice fields and polar ice caps, plus warming ocean waters all contribute to rising sea levels.

Climate Change Effects - Rising Sea Level in depth

Hey Soetero got elected twice........of course the public in America is dumb.

You just go right on and stick with the scientists. I'll keep going on with presenting the knobby cucumber on here......because winning is the greatest feeling in the world.:rock:

I rest my case. :)

Maybe this will help.

wow, the ultimate stupid posted up for all to see. Carla says Sea ice melt increases sea level rise. Now I'm a fairly reasonable person, so, carla, please go look that up again. remember if you add ice to a glass full of liquid, note the level of the fluid, when the ice melts will the fluid rise? Please, please, answer the question. I want to believe you're smarter than that. maybe look up volume.

LOL, that's from the OP's link.

the rising of what sea level? What the hell are you talking about? come on carla, please don't stay stupid when it's been proven you're wrong about sea level rise and melting sea ice. Just don't. You look foolish and stupid.

Yep, I'm going with the scientists, instead of some ding dong poster on a forum.

Sea level is rising — and at an accelerating rate — especially along the U.S. East Coast and Gulf of Mexico
  • The average annual rate of global sea level rise accelerated from 1993 - 2008, increasing 65 - 90 percent above the twentieth century average.
  • The U.S. East Coast and Gulf of Mexico experienced some of the world's fastest rates of sea level rise in the twentieth century due to local and regional factors.
BTW, if a scientist is telling you that sea ice melt will cause a rise in sea level then the scientist is stupid, again, go to the cabinet fill the glass with ice, then add water and then let it melt. I guarantee you that the water in the glass will not rise. but hey if you think that the scientist thinks the level will, then I am smarter than him/ her.

Maybe this will help.

LOL, that's from the OP's link.
what is from the OP that stated sea ice melt causes sea level rise? post the excerpt that stated that.

BTW, if a scientist is telling you that sea ice melt will cause a rise in sea level then the scientist is stupid, again, go to the cabinet fill the glass with ice, then add water and then let it melt. I guarantee you that the water in the glass will not rise. but hey if you think that the scientist thinks the level will, then I am smarter than him/ her.

File your complaint to NASA and the OP of this thread. I'm using the wise old owl's link.

And while you're at it, you might try improving your reading comprehension skills.

Forum List

Back