🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

NASA : Antarctica is ****GAINING**** ice

Ah, the sweet smell of duplicate threads. When the true believers get fed their talking points, their reflex action is to immediately cut and paste.

For inexplicable reasons, deniers are claiming that study as some kind of endorsement of their paranoid conspiracy ravings and hilariously bad debunked science. Normal people, however, just see it as science working in the normal way. There are disagreements, more data is found, and things are worked out.

We're looking some major logic failures from the deniers here. The study was basically about precipitation. Global warming is about temperature, hence the world "warming". Precipitation and temperature are different things. Contrary to bad denier logic, more precipitation does not mean colder temperatures. It snows more in Antarctica as temperatures there rise, being warmer air holds more moisture, and it still never gets warm enough to rain instead of snow. Basic science, which is why deniers fail so completely at it.

Let's have some more fun with the deniers. They're heaping praise on Zwally, the study author. So what else did he say?

He says that means sea level rise elsewhere is worse than previously thought.
---
"The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimeters per year away," Zwally said. "But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for."
---

And he says the trend is for more warming and more melt in Antarctica
---
But it might only take a few decades for Antarctica's growth to reverse, according to Zwally. "If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they've been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years—I don't think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses."
---

Ooh, deniers are in a tough spot now. They just declared Zwally was infallible, then there goes Zwally supporting mainstream global warming science. So will they now backpedal frantically, or just run away?

Guam-from-air.jpg

^ Guam, proudly refusing to sink underwater in response to nutty AGW Cult "Water iz rizin!!!!!" claim

And from your own link it says....

NASA Study Shows Global Sea Ice Diminishing, Despite Antarctic Gains
Sea ice increases in Antarctica do not make up for the accelerated Arctic sea ice loss of the last decades, a new NASA study finds. As a whole, the planet has been shedding sea ice at an average annual rate of 13,500 square miles (35,000 square kilometers) since 1979, the equivalent of losing an area of sea ice larger than the state of Maryland every year.

“Even though Antarctic sea ice reached a new record maximum this past September, global sea ice is still decreasing,” said Claire Parkinson, author of the study and climate scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. “That’s because the decreases in Arctic sea ice far exceed the increases in Antarctic sea ice.”

Let's say this is true. How is supposed to effect us?

Do you think polar bears will appear in your backyard?

For some weird reason, nitwits always think of "global" as their backyard. Seriously, if you're this ignorant, there's no point in having us having a discussion.

I don't have time for you.
Is this guy a nitwit?

"Harold Warren Lewis, a respected physicist who had previously advised both the U.S. Government and the Pentagon on various matters including missile defence and nuclear winter, shocked his peers when he disseminated his letter of resignation from the American Physical Society."

- See more at: Top U.S. physicist claims global warming is a “scam”

"Lewis accused the American Physical Society of supporting “the global warming scam, with the trillions of dollars driving it that has corrupted so many scientists.” The physicist’s letter contained a number of complaints, including the APS’ lack of a response to his endeavours to gather a committee to evaluate evidence for a human link to climate change. Lewis revealed that global warming was “the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud” he has even seen in his career."

Here's a letter from Harold twenty years ago.

Lewis277hope.jpg

Lewis275notminor.jpg

Almost 20 years ago, Harold Lewis, a respected physicist who had advised the government and the Pentagon on matters ranging from nuclear winter to missile defense, included his assessment of climate change from the buildup of human-generated greenhouse gases in a book on technological risk:

All models agree that the net effect will be a general and global warming of the earth; they only disagree about how much. None suggest that it will be a minor effect, to be ignored while we go about our business. [Read more.]

A couple of pages later, he laid out the implications of warming and the need for “global cooperation and sacrifice now, to avert something far in the future.” He noted that this was unlikely, given human nature, but said, “one can only hope.”

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/15/a-physicists-climate-complaints/?_r=0

Have you ever been there? I have.

All the ice isn't going to melt.

I just want to know what YOU think the effects are going to be.
Who said all of it was going to melt?

The effect will be rising sea levels, possibly also changes in the ocean currents.

The effect will be rising sea levels, possibly also changes in the ocean currents.

Why would the sea levels rise?

Maybe you should put some ice in a cup and see if the water level rises after the ice melts.

It will be a fun science project you can do in your very own home.

Maybe you should do the experiment.

I don't need to. I already know what happens when ice melts.

Really? Do you have a degree in Physics?

Maybe you should put some ice in a cup and see if the water level rises after the ice melts.

It will be a fun science project you can do in your very own home.

Maybe you should do the experiment.

I don't need to. I already know what happens when ice melts.

Really? Do you have a degree in Physics?

No I don't, which is why I listen to the majority of reputable scientists, instead of idiot posters on a forum.

They rise because melting ice from polar caps puts more water in the ocean.

So melting ice from the North polar cap will cause the ocean levels to rise?
The parts over land. Not the sea ice.

What parts of the North polar cap are over land?

Greenland

Greenland

So you are worried about the Greenland Ice sheet melting.

How many centuries do you think it will take?

Greenland

I don't get the all or nothing mentality you're displaying. Why does all of the ice from Greenland, Antarctica, and polar Eurasia and North America have to melt for it to be a problem?

Greenland

Why are you asking posters on a forum? If you want info on health issues, you go ask your doctor. If you want info on car problems, you go ask your mechanic. If you want info on melting ice in Greenland, you go to someone who's studied this for the past 20 years.

Sea ice increases in Antarctica do not make up for the accelerated Arctic sea ice loss of the last decades, a new NASA study finds. As a whole, the planet has been shedding sea ice at an average annual rate of 13,500 square miles (35,000 square kilometers) since 1979, the equivalent of losing an area of sea ice larger than the state of Maryland every year.

“Even though Antarctic sea ice reached a new record maximum this past September, global sea ice is still decreasing,” said Claire Parkinson, author of the study and climate scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. “That’s because the decreases in Arctic sea ice far exceed the increases in Antarctic sea ice.”

dudette, did you really just post that? funny stuff right there. You probably won't get it since you posted it, but think about what sea ice is for moment, and what would be wrong with diminishing sea ice. What are the hazards of that dear?

Greenland

I don't get the all or nothing mentality you're displaying. Why does all of the ice from Greenland, Antarctica, and polar Eurasia and North America have to melt for it to be a problem?
why if none of it melts, is it a problem? volley back to you sir.

For some weird reason, nitwits always think of "global" as their backyard. Seriously, if you're this ignorant, there's no point in having us having a discussion.

then what is your point about sea ice diminishing? What is the hazard? I believe the only option is polar bears right, penguins maybe?

LOL, ice is diminishing, despite Antarctic gains.

You, cannot make this stuff up folks.

It's from your link.
Some copy-and-pasters never read their own links. That requires intelligence and comprehension skills beyond their abilities.
so perhaps you could explain what was meant by sea ice melting? I mean, really, you don't think that sea ice ever melts? You should watch the arctic in summertime. Much of it melts, and you know what, nothing happens. So please post up those facts of whatever is dangerous about that.

Greenland

So you too have an all or nothing mentality. "Either all of the ice is about to melt or none of it will"

That ice is melting from Greenland is an undeniable fact.

That ice is melting from parts of Antarctica is an undeniable fact.

That ice is melting from glaciers and polar North America and Eurasia is an undeniable fact.

That sea levels are slowly rising is an undeniable fact.

So what are you trying to say?

Global Ice Viewer

ok, it's probably time to go back to your nursery, see I don't think you know what sea ice is.

Greenland

So you too have an all or nothing mentality. "Either all of the ice is about to melt or none of it will"

That ice is melting from Greenland is an undeniable fact.

That ice is melting from parts of Antarctica is an undeniable fact.

That ice is melting from glaciers and polar North America and Eurasia is an undeniable fact.

That sea levels are slowly rising is an undeniable fact.

So what are you trying to say?

Global Ice Viewer
no, not at all, I'm asking you what the issue is? See you made a point to point out sea ice melting. We're all just trying to understand what the issue is. Please don't say sea level rise, because you now know that isn't true, right?

ok, it's probably time to go back to your nursery, see I don't think you know what sea ice is.
I know what sea ice is, moron, but that's not the topic of this thread.

Forum List

Back