🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

NASA : Antarctica is ****GAINING**** ice

According to the environutters, we should have died like 10 times already.

:lol::lol::lol:
According to right wing propaganda outlets, we should all be dead of Ebola by now.

"I must have Ebola since I keep shitting my pants!"

Ebola? Really? Who the fuck said anything about Ebola? Last I checked, nobody's demanding taxes and electric cars and solar panels and other looniness based on Ebola.

Geeze you're a loon.

And from your own link it says....

NASA Study Shows Global Sea Ice Diminishing, Despite Antarctic Gains
Sea ice increases in Antarctica do not make up for the accelerated Arctic sea ice loss of the last decades, a new NASA study finds. As a whole, the planet has been shedding sea ice at an average annual rate of 13,500 square miles (35,000 square kilometers) since 1979, the equivalent of losing an area of sea ice larger than the state of Maryland every year.

“Even though Antarctic sea ice reached a new record maximum this past September, global sea ice is still decreasing,” said Claire Parkinson, author of the study and climate scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. “That’s because the decreases in Arctic sea ice far exceed the increases in Antarctic sea ice.”

Let's say this is true. How is supposed to effect us?

Do you think polar bears will appear in your backyard?

For some weird reason, nitwits always think of "global" as their backyard. Seriously, if you're this ignorant, there's no point in having us having a discussion.

I don't have time for you.

Have you ever been there? I have.

All the ice isn't going to melt.

I just want to know what YOU think the effects are going to be.

I guess in leftwing environutterland ice should never melt.. maybe we can get a giant Yeti mug for the North Pole?

Sea ice increases in Antarctica do not make up for the accelerated Arctic sea ice loss of the last decades, a new NASA study finds. As a whole, the planet has been shedding sea ice at an average annual rate of 13,500 square miles (35,000 square kilometers) since 1979, the equivalent of losing an area of sea ice larger than the state of Maryland every year.

“Even though Antarctic sea ice reached a new record maximum this past September, global sea ice is still decreasing,” said Claire Parkinson, author of the study and climate scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. “That’s because the decreases in Arctic sea ice far exceed the increases in Antarctic sea ice.”

For some weird reason, nitwits always think of "global" as their backyard. Seriously, if you're this ignorant, there's no point in having us having a discussion.

effects of all that ice ?

cold air.

Who said all of it was going to melt?

The effect will be rising sea levels, possibly also changes in the ocean currents.

According to right wing propaganda outlets, we should all be dead of Ebola by now.

Ebola? Really? Who the fuck said anything about Ebola? Last I checked, nobody's demanding taxes and electric cars and solar panels and other looniness based on Ebola.

Geeze you're a loon.
You said "we should have died 10 times already".

Yeah. From Ebola, right?

Geeze you're a loon.

Yeah. From Ebola, right?

No... Jesus.. go take an Adderall.... your attention skills are diminished.

Geeze you're a loon.

Yeah. From Ebola, right?

some dots like soggy have no humor.. it must be from mad cow disease.

Geeze you're a loon.
What makes you so convinced that unleashing billions of tons of fossilized carbon into the atmosphere per year isn't going to have global effects on climate. That CO2 is a greenhouse gas is an indisputable fact.

Why would the sea levels rise?

The effect will be rising sea levels, possibly also changes in the ocean currents.

They rise because melting ice from polar caps puts more water in the ocean.

Is this guy a nitwit?

"Harold Warren Lewis, a respected physicist who had previously advised both the U.S. Government and the Pentagon on various matters including missile defence and nuclear winter, shocked his peers when he disseminated his letter of resignation from the American Physical Society."

- See more at: Top U.S. physicist claims global warming is a “scam”

"Lewis accused the American Physical Society of supporting “the global warming scam, with the trillions of dollars driving it that has corrupted so many scientists.” The physicist’s letter contained a number of complaints, including the APS’ lack of a response to his endeavours to gather a committee to evaluate evidence for a human link to climate change. Lewis revealed that global warming was “the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud” he has even seen in his career."

I don't believe he's a nitwit, but I do believe he's wrong. I also suspect he's a liar. He is a member of the GWPF think tank, who have rejected requests to disclose its funding sources on at least four different occasions.

Accounts show extent to which secretive think tank is funded by anonymous donors rather than income from membership fees

And from Wikipedia..

"Its income suggests that it only has about 80 members, which means that it is a fringe group promoting the interests of a very small number of politically motivated campaigners."

In March 2012, The Guardian revealed that it had uncovered emails in which Michael Hintze, founder of the hedge fund CQS and a major donor to the UK Conservative Party, disclosed having donated to GWPF; the previous October, Hintze had been at the center of a funding scandal that led to the resignation of then-Secretary of State for Defence Liam Fox and the dismissal of Hintze's then-charity adviser, Oliver Hylton.

Chris Huhne, former UK Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change attacked Lord Lawson's influential climate sceptic think-tank.

In 2014 the Charity Commission ruled that the GWPF had has breached rules on impartiality in its climate change coverage, blurred fact and comment and demonstrated a clear bias.

Global Warming Policy Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Secret funding of climate sceptics is not restricted to the US | Bob Ward

Last edited:

Maybe you should put some ice in a cup and see if the water level rises after the ice melts.

It will be a fun science project you can do in your very own home.

Ah, the sweet smell of duplicate threads. When the true believers get fed their talking points, their reflex action is to immediately cut and paste.

For inexplicable reasons, deniers are claiming that study as some kind of endorsement of their paranoid conspiracy ravings and hilariously bad debunked science. Normal people, however, just see it as science working in the normal way. There are disagreements, more data is found, and things are worked out.

We're looking some major logic failures from the deniers here. The study was basically about precipitation. Global warming is about temperature, hence the world "warming". Precipitation and temperature are different things. Contrary to bad denier logic, more precipitation does not mean colder temperatures. It snows more in Antarctica as temperatures there rise, being warmer air holds more moisture, and it still never gets warm enough to rain instead of snow. Basic science, which is why deniers fail so completely at it.

Let's have some more fun with the deniers. They're heaping praise on Zwally, the study author. So what else did he say?

He says that means sea level rise elsewhere is worse than previously thought.
---
"The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimeters per year away," Zwally said. "But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for."
---

And he says the trend is for more warming and more melt in Antarctica
---
But it might only take a few decades for Antarctica's growth to reverse, according to Zwally. "If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they've been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years—I don't think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses."
---

Ooh, deniers are in a tough spot now. They just declared Zwally was infallible, then there goes Zwally supporting mainstream global warming science. So will they now backpedal frantically, or just run away?
There are several factors that contribute to increased precipitation. Temperature is only one.

So melting ice from the North polar cap will cause the ocean levels to rise?

Maybe you should put some ice in a cup and see if the water level rises after the ice melts.

Maybe you should do the experiment.

So melting ice from the North polar cap will cause the ocean levels to rise?
The parts over land. Not the sea ice.

Have I ever been where, your backyard?

Um, no.

Maybe you should do the experiment.

I don't need to. I already know what happens when ice melts.

Forum List

Back