NASA Ditches the American Flag and models a black female astronaut in the name of diversity

Publius1787

Gold Member
Jan 11, 2011
NASA Ditches the American Flag and models a black female astronaut in the name of diversity. Well, Not NASA exactly but evidently they've given it a lot of support.

I guess the transgender astronauts are feeling awfully left out.
The International Flag of Planet Earth
NASA Replaces American Flag With A New Design International Flag Of Earth To Be Used During Space Travel
Alternative Right THE LARPING OF NASA

earth-flag2-665x385.jpg

Last edited:
I need to see this from a major news source before I will believe it, even of the Obama administration.

Look at the rings. Sure she isn't running for a position on the IOC?

Actually it looks a bit Celtic.
Perhaps she's Black Irish?

I always wondered why any country would send national flags outside the planet to space, where nations do not exist. That never did make sense. No Klingon is going to care whether this particular ship came from Uruguay or Burma.

This "International Flag of Planet Earth" in one way makes more sense than sending a national flag off the planet, in that it represents a planet rather than a piece of it. But it still depends on the idea that a flag fetish symbolism is some kind of given, which is still a weird concept. We have no reason to expect that extraterrestrials would be engaging in such a human emotion.

Last edited:
If the jerk in the video is what he indicates as being superior due to ''testosterone'' I feel sorry for all males. Boy oh boy, he was a whiny, and squirmy, little over aged punk!

VIVA!!!! La Estrogen!!!! :D

NASA Ditches the American Flag and models a black female astronaut in the name of diversity. Well, Not NASA exactly but evidently they've given it a lot of support.

NASA Replaces American Flag With A New Design International Flag Of Earth To Be Used During Space Travel

earth-flag2-665x385.jpg

Most of Planet Earth is an open toilet. Not a flag I would fly, nor am I a "global citizen". I'm an American.

earth-flag2-665x385.jpg

Most of Planet Earth is an open toilet. Not a flag I would fly, nor am I a "global citizen". I'm an American.

And what exactly does that mean when you're off the planet?

I don't cease being an American when I'm off-planet.

But what's its relevance off the planet? Nations only exist in the context of this planet. Once you leave it, that context is left behind with it.

If a Venutian lands here, do you care whether she's from the Venutian state of Ivwekiops or Tecjwimith?

I am not certain how I feel....I understand if a Klingon found our American flag on Mars it would mean nothing to them, and the concept of the International flag could show them where to look for us....the Blue planet.... but do we really want Klingons to find us? ;)

On the other side, if it is an American mission, and we put humans on Mars first, before other countries, with American's tax dollars, why not be proud of it and strut our strut, with our American flag?

I have no problem with both flags being placed...the American and International, or if Russia goes there, place the Russian and international flag....?

But what's its relevance off the planet? Nations only exist in the context of this planet. Once you leave it, that context is left behind with it.

If a Venutian lands here, do you care whether she's from the Venutian state of Ivwekiops or Tecjwimith?

Depending on the differences between Ivwekiops and Tecjwimith we might care very much.

Depending on the differences between Ivwekiops and Tecjwimith we might care very much.

But we wouldn't know those differences, as we know nothing about those states. They're literally outside our sphere.

Case in point: I deliberately spelled Tecjwzinith wrong, and you copied it. Busted! :muahaha:

I am not certain how I feel....I understand if a Klingon found our American flag on Mars it would mean nothing to them, and the concept of the International flag could show them where to look for us....the Blue planet.... but do we really want Klingons to find us? ;)

On the other side, if it is an American mission, and we put humans on Mars first, before other countries, with American's tax dollars, why not be proud of it and strut our strut, with our American flag?

I guess the answer is because we'd be doing so not as a country but as a species. What would after all be the point of nations competing when they're off the planet altogether? Do we think we're gonna colonize celestial bodies? I mean we don't even do that with Antarctica, and that's on Earth.

I have no problem with both flags being placed...the American and International, or if Russia goes there, place the Russian and international flag....?

I'll be happier when the idea of a "flag" is a quaint curiosity one sees in a museum whose ancient function has to be explained.

I guess the answer is because we'd be doing so not as a country but as a species. What would after all be the point of nations competing when they're off the planet altogether? Do we think we're gonna colonize celestial bodies? I mean we don't even do that with Antarctica, and that's on Earth.

I'll be happier when the idea of a "flag" is a quaint curiosity one sees in a museum whose ancient function has to be explained.
I'm really not a one world gvt fan...

I think patriotism has its place, and the advancement of Education and Science, is a good place for it.... especially since you need your own citizen's money to advance both science and education...getting them excited about it is critical to support the program, us viewing our brave Astronauts making it to Mars is something to be proud of, as an American and as Humans...if Russians make it there first, I would still be glued to the TV watching the landing, and proud of their accomplishment...* but just a little more proud, if it was us, and I knew my taxes spent on it and support for it, was meeting and exceeding my expectations.

Last edited:

I'm really not a one world gvt fan...

I think patriotism has its place, and the advancement of Education and Science, is a good place for it.... especially since you need your own citizen's money to advance both science and education...getting them excited about it is critical to support the program, us viewing our brave Astronauts making it to Mars is something to be proud of, as an American and as Humans...if Russians make it there first, I would still be glued to the TV watching the landing, and proud of their accomplishment...* but just a little more proud, if it was us, and I knew my taxes spent on it and support for it, was meeting and exceeding my expectations.

.... The point being that "nations" are an earth concept. Once you leave the earth and are out of our context, "nation" has no meaning. Has nothing to do with "one world government", whatever that might mean. Has nothing to do with governments at all. That's the point --- why should it?

Just as, if you're from Silver Lake, that has meaning only as a neighborhood within Los Angeles. But if you happen to be in Chicago you're going to say you're from L.A., not Silver Lake, and if you're in England you're going to say you're from California... and so on.

And again, why would it be a competition between nations at all? I mean unless one nation is out to either establish colonies or mine natural resources, to the exclusion and detriment of other nations ....what would be the point?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back