NASA set to reveal "major announcement" of something rover found...

NASA’s Curiosity rover has found new evidence preserved in rocks on Mars that suggests the planet could have supported ancient life, as well as new evidence in the Martian atmosphere that relates to the search for current life on the Red Planet. While not necessarily evidence of life itself, these findings are a good sign for future missions exploring the planet’s surface and subsurface.

The new findings – “tough” organic molecules in three-billion-year-old sedimentary rocks near the surface, as well as seasonal variations in the levels of methane in the atmosphere – appear in the June 8 edition of the journal Science.

NASA Finds Ancient Organic Material, Mysterious Methane on Mars
yepp, suggests it could have supported life.

doesnt suggest anything else, and nasa is on livestream right now and said that verbatim
I was hoping for a rusted out alien craft, myself.
that'd be great

you know, it's not out of the question that a human-level or greater civilization existed......and was shy of inter-planetary travel and thus perished with the planet. It's not even far fetched, either. Humans are like 200k years old.....the universe is ba ba ba billions
or....maybe they traveled here, and we are all Martians.
I'd believe that if our fossil chain weren't discovered...lol, and in our pre-evolved form I uhhhh...we werent capable of interplanetary travel.

I suppose some advanced species may have planted the first seeds of overall life here though. Even an asteroid from any of the trillions of other planets.
Yeah, you're right. I thought of that as soon as I posted it. BUT then there are those strange angels and gods from the sky that they're always talking about on Ancient Aliens.... the story goes that they procreated with us slightly evolved humans, showed us how to control fire, move giant boulders, etc.

Isn't that where they found the pyramid? Boy it would be cool if they found something actually exciting, like evidence of a civilization or at least an alien craft instead of evidence of a one celled organism from 3 billion years ago.

Wouldn't it be?
Will all of the hype they are putting into it, it better be good. Any kind of sentient life would be beyond incredible.
Hell, I'd be more than thrilled with microorganisms. Either way, next up is Titan and Enceladus. I'd bet (a little) that some kind of life exists in our solar system, not to mention the one billion trillion OTHER solar systems.

My bet is it found evidence of advanced organisms... such as some kind of organism with a vertebrae
Any kind of life would be great, present or past. That opens up some doors!
Help me out here. If we know what the current conditions are on Mars, why does it matter if it had early life forms 3 billion years ago. At one point it supported water; now it doesn't. How does that help us now? I'm hearing that we want to colonize Mars; Elon Musk has actually built ships to take us there. So what diff if it had single cell organisms 3 billion years ago?
Just wondering why that matters to anyone--if you ask me they're doing more than looking for some signs of early life. They're doing a lot more than that.
I don't think there's a connection between ancient life on Mars and colonization. In terms of ancient life, that's just for our knowledge and a degree of increased probability that the universe is/has been/will be replete with life, of some kind or another. So if some kind of life ever existed there, that takes us much further in that direction.

Colonizing Mars is problematic at best. Without an atmosphere and at the mercy of the weather and solar radiation, we'd either have to live in some kind of freakin' domes or even underground (remember that Arnold Schwarzenegger movie?). That's so weird and far off in the future I'd think someone like Musk just wants to be an interplanetary tour guide. Which, come to think of it, would be pretty cool.

My interest in this is the discovery of some kind of life in our solar system. If that happens, the chances of a universe flooded with life go up exponentially.

yepp, suggests it could have supported life.

doesnt suggest anything else, and nasa is on livestream right now and said that verbatim
that'd be great

you know, it's not out of the question that a human-level or greater civilization existed......and was shy of inter-planetary travel and thus perished with the planet. It's not even far fetched, either. Humans are like 200k years old.....the universe is ba ba ba billions
I'd believe that if our fossil chain weren't discovered...lol, and in our pre-evolved form I uhhhh...we werent capable of interplanetary travel.

I suppose some advanced species may have planted the first seeds of overall life here though. Even an asteroid from any of the trillions of other planets.
Yeah, you're right. I thought of that as soon as I posted it. BUT then there are those strange angels and gods from the sky that they're always talking about on Ancient Aliens.... the story goes that they procreated with us slightly evolved humans, showed us how to control fire, move giant boulders, etc.

perform abortions.

that'd be great

perform abortions.
Don't spoil a good thread, Marion.

Wouldn't it be?
Will all of the hype they are putting into it, it better be good. Any kind of sentient life would be beyond incredible.
Hell, I'd be more than thrilled with microorganisms. Either way, next up is Titan and Enceladus. I'd bet (a little) that some kind of life exists in our solar system, not to mention the one billion trillion OTHER solar systems.

My bet is it found evidence of advanced organisms... such as some kind of organism with a vertebrae
Help me out here. If we know what the current conditions are on Mars, why does it matter if it had early life forms 3 billion years ago. At one point it supported water; now it doesn't. How does that help us now? I'm hearing that we want to colonize Mars; Elon Musk has actually built ships to take us there. So what diff if it had single cell organisms 3 billion years ago?
Just wondering why that matters to anyone--if you ask me they're doing more than looking for some signs of early life. They're doing a lot more than that.
I don't think there's a connection between ancient life on Mars and colonization. In terms of ancient life, that's just for our knowledge and a degree of increased probability that the universe is/has been/will be replete with life, of some kind or another. So if some kind of life ever existed there, that takes us much further in that direction.

Colonizing Mars is problematic at best. Without an atmosphere and at the mercy of the weather and solar radiation, we'd either have to live in some kind of freakin' domes or even underground (remember that Arnold Schwarzenegger movie?). That's so weird and far off in the future I'd think someone like Musk just wants to be an interplanetary tour guide. Which, come to think of it, would be pretty cool.

My interest in this is the discovery of some kind of life in our solar system. If that happens, the chances of a universe flooded with life go up exponentially.
Well, this probably is a good discovery for you, then. I already believe the universe is flooded with life, so I don't need to find it on the moon or Mars.

Well, this probably is a good discovery for you, then. I already believe the universe is flooded with life, so I don't need to find it on the moon or Mars.
I'm with you there. There's no reason I could possibly imagine why life isn't everywhere in this Uni.

Isn't that where they found the pyramid? Boy it would be cool if they found something actually exciting, like evidence of a civilization or at least an alien craft instead of evidence of a one celled organism from 3 billion years ago.

Wouldn't it be?

Well, consider the fact that if life is discovered in the form of some microbe, what immunology do humans have against it? What would it do to a human, livestock, and plant-life we would bring with us?

We could put a thousand people on Mars inside a hundred years; only to find they'll all die within months of setting up shop.

I have no doubt myself, but hard confirmation is always nice.

I thought they found the golf ball Alan Shepard hammered on the front nine while on the moon

-Geaux

"NASA announces 3.5B-year-old organic matter, building blocks for life on red planet"

Which means we still have not clue if life exists outside this planet. I guess that means something to a trained scientist though. I was hoping for fossil remains or a hidden city. :04:

Wouldn't it be?

If there were organisms then terraforming might bring them back and we could end up being attacked by things like virus or illness not ever seen on Earth.

"NASA announces 3.5B-year-old organic matter, building blocks for life on red planet"

Which means we still have not clue if life exists outside this planet. I guess that means something to a trained scientist though. I was hoping for fossil remains or a hidden city. :04:

3.5B years old? It's older than dirt!

As I suspected, they found more red rocks.

I just love red rocks. We must to there.......

Forum List

Back