NC New Welfare Drug Test Law: 1/3rd Tested Positive from Sample.

Should Welfare Applicants be Required to Take a Drug Test?

• Total voters
The only reason to drug test people is to further punish them for not having a job so you have to make sure they know they will be subjected to peeing in containers for their amusement

Why is it unfair to drug test someone on taxpayer assistance yet fair to drug test people in order to keep an actual job and contribute to society?

I'm all for drug testing welfare recipients, but those are false equivalencies . A private employer can do all sorts of things the government can't.

There is no law that I am aware of that prohibits drug testing welfare recipients.

The only reason to drug test people is to further punish them for not having a job so you have to make sure they know they will be subjected to peeing in containers for their amusement
No it's to punish them for using tax payer money for illegal activities

Why do you want to fund crime?

Then shouldn't we drug test those who get a $4000 tax exemption for every child?

Big difference but I don't think there should be deductions for dependents so why not

Then shouldn't we drug test those who get a $4000 tax exemption for every child?

Apples and Martians.... one group pays taxes, the other group does not. Reducing ones taxable income is not "getting" something. Receiving welfare checks is getting something.. for nothing I might add.

No, we should get rid of the exemption PERIOD

Apples and Martians.... one group pays taxes, the other group does not. Reducing ones taxable income is not "getting" something. Receiving welfare checks is getting something.. for nothing I might add.

It's not apples and martians. Both are government subsidies, that's fact.

Of several thousand people who were screened, 89 people took the test and 21 of them tested positive.

Who's the math genius here?

Not all the people who were screened were tested for drugs. They only tested 89 people for drugs and 21 tested positive.

It's not apples and martians. Both are government subsidies, that's fact.

That only works in world where the gubmint is entitled to 100% of what I earn therefore anything they don't take is a gift.

In liberal lalaland, if you break into my house and steal only three of my four TV's, you gave me a TV.

:lmao:

Everyone pays taxes

If you are getting a cash payout for your rug rats we should make sure you are not spending the money on drugs

For the sake of the children

Everyone pays taxes

If you are getting a cash payout for your rug rats we should make sure you are not spending the money on drugs

Everyone does not pay taxes. If you're buying things with someone elses money, someone else is paying the taxes, not you.

Everyone pays taxes

Just end the EITC and get rid of all deductions that will get the government out of everyone's lives and they can do all the drugs they want

Everyone pays taxes

Hilarious, but in reality just a dodge b/c you simply don't have a rational argument against drug testing welfare recipients.

Everyone pays taxes

Just end the EITC and get rid of all deductions that will get the government out of everyone's lives and they can do all the drugs they want

I'd be cool with that... but it will never happen. EITC welfare payments/transfers are too ingrained.

I like this part: "Why? If they aren't working in a job that could be hazardous to the public, there is no need for it."
The purpose of welfare is to help get people back on their feet. Not to simply subsidize them for sitting on their asses. Doing drugs isn't exactly helpful to the formers ends. 1/3rd of those tested in NC were found to have done drugs. We shouldn't invest in future of those who refuse to invest in their own future. You can't get a job if you fail a drug test. You shouldn't get welfare if you fail a drug test.

It means that they are finding money for drugs, which means they aren't totally interested in feeding themselves or their children.

We keep hearing that welfare isn't enough for the basic necessities, yet so many have money for cigarettes, beer, drugs and tattoos. If people have children and test positive for drugs, then they do have a very important job. They are putting their children in danger. If they are driving, they are putting the public in danger.

And you bring up a great point about being tested for drugs when applying for a job. If these people are testing positive for getting welfare, they won't get a job because a positive drug test will ban you from working in many places. That defies the whole purpose. Welfare is meant to keep people going till they are back on their feet. If we subsidize stupid behavior, we'll have more of it. That is proven by the way the welfare rolls have sharply increased under Obama.

Everyone pays taxes

End ALL credits, loopholes, and deductions. Put H&R Block out of business. There is no reason for the tax code to be so complicated.

I like this part: "Why? If they aren't working in a job that could be hazardous to the public, there is no need for it."
The purpose of welfare is to help get people back on their feet. Not to simply subsidize them for sitting on their asses. Doing drugs isn't exactly helpful to the formers ends. 1/3rd of those tested in NC were found to have done drugs. We shouldn't invest in future of those who refuse to invest in their own future. You can't get a job if you fail a drug test. You shouldn't get welfare if you fail a drug test.

It means that they are finding money for drugs, which means they aren't totally interested in feeding themselves or their children.

We keep hearing that welfare isn't enough for the basic necessities, yet so many have money for cigarettes, beer, drugs and tattoos. If people have children and test positive for drugs, then they do have a very important job. They are putting their children in danger. If they are driving, they are putting the public in danger.

And you bring up a great point about being tested for drugs when applying for a job. If these people are testing positive for getting welfare, they won't get a job because a positive drug test will ban you from working in many places. That defies the whole purpose. Welfare is meant to keep people going till they are back on their feet. If we subsidize stupid behavior, we'll have more of it. That is proven by the way the welfare rolls have sharply increased under Obama.

Good point.. how is one going to ever get off welfare if they can't even pass a drug test to get a job?

Why is it unfair to drug test someone on taxpayer assistance yet fair to drug test people in order to keep an actual job and contribute to society?

Who said it was fair to drug test for a job?

Drug tests doesnt show what money was used for drugs goofball

Who said it was fair to drug test for a job?

I think it is completely fair... I don't want stoners at the helm of a freight train.

Forum List

Back