New Atheism’s Fatal Arrogance

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
New Atheism’s Fatal Arrogance: The Glaring Intellectual Laziness of Bill Maher & Richard Dawkins

For all their eloquence, New Atheists show little interest in understanding how believers really think or feel.

But there’s something missing in their critiques, something fundamental. For all their eloquence, their arguments are often banal. Regrettably, they’ve shown little interest in understanding the religious compulsion. They talk incessantly about the untruth of religion because they assume truth is what matters most to religious people. And perhaps it does for many, but certainly not all – at least not in the conventional sense of that term. Religious convictions, in many cases, are held not because they’re true but because they’re meaningful, because they’re personally transformative. New Atheists are blind to this brand of belief.

It’s perfectly rational to reject faith as a matter of principle. Many people (myself included) find no practical advantage in believing things without evidence. But what about those who do? If a belief is held because of its effects, not its truth content, why should its falsity matter to the believer? Of course, most religious people consider their beliefs true in some sense, but that’s to be expected: the consolation derived from a belief is greater if its illusory origins are concealed. The point is that such beliefs aren’t held because they’re true as such; they’re accepted on faith because they’re meaningful.

For me, the "falsity" does matter but I liken it to homosexuality.

I don't understand a sexual attraction to one of the same sex. I simply accept that it exists and that others have every right to their own sexuality.

Same with a belief in a god. I don't understand it. Even though I think its a strange delusion, all I can do is accept that some people do believe.

I also don't understand why that belief is "meaningful" or what the benefit of it is. I do accept that, for some, it is and, apparently, there are people who do benefit from it.

And what about the other side of this coin?

Exchange the positions of atheism and belief and the op/ed is just as true.

Is it possible for either side to 'understanding how the other really thinks or feels'? Is it important? Do you even want to understand how others feel and think?

Thoughts?

I'm not that familiar with Dawkins, but I've seen enough of Maher to draw some conclusions. It isn't that he is lazy, I think it is that he doesn't really comprehend that other people exist. This is not an uncommon trait. Basically, he can't wrap his mind around the idea that there is any way of thinking other than his own and that everyone else are just reflections of himself.

So it isn't arrogance at play here. It is mental disability.

Good thread. Bottom line: respect the other side. When they try to cross the 1st Amendment, hammer em. Fundies, theists and a-theists alike, need regular hammering.

I'm in the live and let live camp. I understand addiction, it is part of human nature. Some addictions may positive but most are negative. If you want to lose yourself in religion, sex, television, or drugs fine, just don't let your behavior impact negatively on others. No drunk driving, no Sharia law, no Chistian law, etc.

I don't dislike Maher's message, but I do dislike the smarm that comes with it. Just because someone is a believer doesn't mean there should automatically be this need for condescension and dismissal of the believer as a total idiot.

Its an understandable frustration.

Some humans realize that you only get so many years to see/watch some of the ways humanity can evolve and excel, and so when theres something being perpetuated such as religion that may have once served its purpose but now is wholly itrelevant and impedes human progress and intellectual curiousity.....

And they get a little testy about it.

Hey. . . no knocks on 'smarm.'

This Board swims in smarm. We are smarmy!

Some humans realize that you only get so many years to see/watch some of the ways humanity can evolve and excel, and so when theres something being perpetuated such as religion that may have once served its purpose but now is wholly itrelevant and impedes human progress and intellectual curiousity.....

Right on time: a smarmy inaccurate remark about religion.

Right on time: a smarmy inaccurate remark about religion.
In your opinion but see - thats all it is.

In my opinion, religion being phony is so blatantly obvious that its painful to see my fellow humans go through with it.

And i am agnostic, not even atheist.

You have every right to your smarmy opinion, G. T., and you are vastly outgunned in numbers and massive smarminess.

So what?

It doesn't appear to me as if religion has slowed down curiosity or progress. Are you just going to claim that it has and leave it at that or would you care to venture a guess on where the world would be now without religion ?

It doesn't appear to me as if religion has slowed down curiosity or progress. Are you just going to claim that it has and leave it at that or would you care to venture a guess on where the world would be now without religion ?
Are you going to ignore "served its purpose," and what that might entail from my post in order to jar some intellectually bankrupt discussion from me?

Your question was answered in that I already admitted religion served a purpose for the world. Why then ask it?

You have every right to your smarmy opinion, G. T., and you are vastly outgunned in numbers and massive smarminess.

So what?
I know that the vast majority of humans are religious versus non.

Appeal to the number doesnt really phase me though. Humans are very traditional, and theyre usually at least mildly intelligent in smaller quantities but begin being more and more irrational in large crowds. That all has been studied and yadda yadda

I'm a believer in evolution so it would seem that religion must serve a purpose or it would have disappeared. Unfortunately its only purpose may be to unify one group against another, not unlike racism, tribalism, and war. Good for societies but not necessarily for individuals. I'm hopeful that overall it is more benign than those.

Exactly correct, GT. I respect your right to your opinion but have no hesitation to, with smarminess, tell you that you are 'yadda yadda' in terms of significance on this subject.

ok--don't like that question ? How about telling us exactly when it was finished serving it's purpose and what is it hindering now ?

Nice OP.. are you sure it fits here? :D
IMO, religious/philosophical beliefs are just that: BELIEFS!! Nobody can prove, empirically, that THEIR world view is the absolute truth. The universe is much too vast, & our knowledge much too finite to presume to claim omnipotent insight into the mysteries of the universe & life.

A person's view of Origins is the foundation upon which their entire world view is built upon. Most people are content to have a disjointed, hodge podge of irrational thought, faulty assumptions, and wrong answers to base their philosophy of life upon. But that is because the MOST BASIC QUESTION, our origins, is unknown by any of our natural senses. We have to start with a belief, & go from there. There are other factors: mental, emotional, or spiritual that are not part of our natural sensory perceptions that figure in.

There is no empirical answer to our origins. There are no natural laws, or scientific explanations that can even make a decent guess as to HOW we came about. We are here. Descartes settled that for us. But HOW we came about remains a mystery, unanswerable by human reason & senses. If there is an answer to this question, reason & science cannot answer it... not yet, at least.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods. ~Albert Einstein

I'm a believer in evolution so it would seem that religion must serve a purpose or it would have disappeared. Unfortunately its only purpose may be to unify one group against another, not unlike racism, tribalism, and war. Good for societies but not necessarily for individuals. I'm hopeful that overall it is more benign than those.
I think that it helped give humans a feeling of goals and purpose when so little was still known about the world, about humans and human behaviour, the universe, etc.

But that all doesnt make it "real," and to me anyhow its very clearly "not" real and so the divides these faux organizations creates across humanity certainly, in today's world, impedes progress.

ok--don't like that question ? How about telling us exactly when it was finished serving it's purpose and what is it hindering now ?
It stopped serving its purpose once humanity became smart and advanced enough to think past the questions it temporarily and usually incorrectly sought to answer.

Forum List

Back