New Mexico Court Rules Gas Stations Liable for Selling Fuel to Drunk Drivers

The key word is KNOWINGLY, otherwise there is no such liability.

"Now, the New Mexico Supreme Court is looking to hold gas stations accountable for their role in knowingly allowing drunk drivers to hit the road."

If a card is used at the pump, the Gas station attendant who is in the store often 25-50 feet away, can't be aware of the condition of the driver, thus no liability.

Yep.
Who the hell goes inside to pay for gas these days.
I havent done that since I was a youngster and I just emptied my wallet and told to put that much in my tank.

Most transactions occur at the pump electronically. This may have worked 50 years ago back in these days.
1627928396369.png

One could argue that the state allowing alcoholics to purchase alcohol is a contributing factor. Arrest the judges.
How about anything the government taxes is their responsibility. They are profiting from it.

Some drunks can still pump gas and walk easily, the attendant is too far away to see the other clues, such as slurred voice, red eyes, heavy alcohol breath and such.

You seem unaware that the small stores have walls blocking the view of some of the pumps and busy handling customers in the store to look at all.

Go try it yourself, go look through solid walls, divine behavior of people in a split second while handling the duties and the customers in the store.
You’re reading my intent all wrong. My complaint his how do you prove knowingly in a court based on facts? The law is just stupid.

The story goes on to say that there is no law that prohibits the sale of gasoline to intoxicated person so I guess this is liability,

So if they refuse to sell gas then are they required to call a taxi

Again, no personal responsibility. Just part of the fall of civilization.

COLOR ME CORNFUSED:
  • I buy my gas at the pump with a credit card. Who is going to know my breath smells of booze?
  • If my breath smells of booze, I may have just taken a drink and am fine, or I may have had 11 drinks and am smashed.
  • Do all drunks run out of gas right before they cause a crash? How will this affect drunks with already full tanks?
  • Define how a gas station knowingly sells gas to a drunk.
  • Just what does the gas station do with the irate drunks who, denied gas, cause an accident when they leave highly upset and run out down the road, or in anger, pull a gun on the gas station owner?
  • Where do the gas stations park all of the cars abandoned at the pump with no gas in them?
  • When do restaurants and supermarkets start refusing to sell food to fat people?

The story goes on to say that there is no law that prohibits the sale of gasoline to intoxicated person so I guess this is liability,

So if they refuse to sell gas then are they required to call a taxi
So it just keeps getting dumber.

I used to be a pump man at Exxon, we never were expected to give breathalyzers to the customers we served.

This judge is asking an awful lot of a teenage kid, probably loaded himself, who is hired to pump gasoline.

How about anything the government taxes is their responsibility. They are profiting from it.

It's as valid as the one made by the court. A teen clerk is not able to determine who is too drunk to drive. I suppose in the ultra rare case they pass out in the store, someone wakes them up and then they want gas but really.............................

This is asking too much for a low level employee. Most pay at the pump anyway.

It's as valid as the one made by the court. A teen clerk is not able to determine who is too drunk to drive. I suppose in the ultra rare case they pass out in the store, someone wakes them up and then they want gas but really.............................

This is asking too much for a low level employee. Most pay at the pump anyway.
Can you imagine. The high school girl at the store being told she has to go out there and refuse gas for some possibly drunk guys? Yeah right.

Personally, I think they would be better served if they stopped selling hard liquor at there gas stations...

Yes, they do that. At lest they did back in 2012. I haven't heard that the stopped the practice...

So, now gas station attendants have a legal duty to give drivers sobriety tests before selling them gas?

This gets overturned in 2 shakes of a lamb's tail. Guaranteed.

Personally, I think they would be better served if they stopped selling hard liquor at there gas stations...

Yes, they do that. At lest they did back in 2012. I haven't heard that the stopped the practice...

Update:

They stopped selling hard liquor at New Mexico gas stations.

Forum List

Back