🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

New research finds the crookedest states in the union

How much does California get back from the federal government for every dollar they send? You don't know? Figures.

Why do Texas and other Red States go to California looking for skilled workers? You don't know? Figures.

You don't know much. Figures.
What does that have to do with being crooked? Yeah nothing.

Obama murders teens in drone strikes!

You thought it did.

Lair!

Chris McDaniel "And the most conservative state in the republic..."

I don't agree with Chris McDaniel on much but-----but there's no doubt in my mind that McDaniel's onto something when he claims Mississippi is a conservative state

10 most corrupt states in the U.S

by Chris Matthews@crobmatthews

June 10, 2014

welcome_to_mississippi_2012_06_24_005.jpg
New research takes a look at decades of corruption convictions to find the crookedest states in the union.

<snip>

The researchers studied more than 25,000 convictions of public officials for violation of federal corruption laws between 1976 and 2008 as well as patterns in state spending to develop a corruption index that estimates the most and least corrupt states in the union. Based on this method, the the most corrupt states are:​

1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana
3. Tennessee
4. Illinois
5. Pennsylvania
6. Alabama
7. Alaska
8. South Dakota
9. Kentucky

10. Florida

That these places landed on the list isn’t exactly surprising. Illinois, which has gain notoriety for its high-profile corruption cases in recent years, is paired with states like Mississippi and Louisiana, which are some of the least economically developed in the country. The researchers also found that for 9 out of the 10 of the most corrupt states, overall state spending was higher than in less corrupt states (South Dakota was the only exception). Attacking corruption, the researchers argue, could be a good way to bring down state spending without hurting services that people need.

Researchers also found that spending in these states was different than their less corrupt counterparts. According to the report,​
“states with higher levels of corruption are likely to favor construction, salaries, borrowing, correction, and police protection at the expense of social sectors such as education, health and hospitals.”

The paper explains that construction spending, especially on big infrastructure projects, is particularly susceptible to corruption because the quality of large, nonstandard projects are difficult for the public to gauge, while the industry is dominated by a few monopolistic firms. Corrupt states also tend to, for obvious reasons, simply have more and better paid public servants, including police and correctional officers. The researchers argue that the need for correctional officers is greater in corrupt places too because “the overall extent of corruption will be higher in states with higher numbers of convictions of public officials.”

Of course, it’s not all bad news, as the study also found the least corrupt states too. Citizens of these states–Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Vermont, Utah, New Hampshire, Colorado, and Kansas–can take solace in the fact that they’re not getting ripped off as badly as the rest of us.

I could have SWORN I was going to see New Jersey in here. Wow. But otherwise I can believe this list. I know LA very well and agree. Chris McDaniel pushed MS up on the list.

Gee, Sarah Palin's Alaska ranks no. 7. Bwahahahahahahaaa.....

1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana
3. Tennessee
4. Illinois
5. Pennsylvania
6. Alabama
7. Alaska
8. South Dakota
9. Kentucky
10. Florida

Here a link to the actual study:

The Impact of Public Officials? Corruption on the Size and Allocation of U.S. State Spending - Liu - 2014 - Public Administration Review - Wiley Online Library

The actual study Tell a different story than this far left hack piece.

Also more proof that this is all Bunk:

A new study from researchers at the University of Hong Kong and Indiana University estimates that corruption on the state level is costing Americans in the 10 most corrupt states an average of $1,308 per year, or 5.2% of those states&#8217; average expenditures per year.

Oh well so much for the far left Taliban and their hate filled propaganda!

Come on fellow republicans if we all pull together I am sure we can get those last three states.

I don't agree with Chris McDaniel on much but-----but there's no doubt in my mind that McDaniel's onto something when he claims Mississippi is a conservative state

June 10, 2014

New research takes a look at decades of corruption convictions to find the crookedest states in the union.

<snip>

The researchers studied more than 25,000 convictions of public officials for violation of federal corruption laws between 1976 and 2008 as well as patterns in state spending to develop a corruption index that estimates the most and least corrupt states in the union. Based on this method, the the most corrupt states are:​

1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana
3. Tennessee
4. Illinois
5. Pennsylvania
6. Alabama
7. Alaska
8. South Dakota
9. Kentucky

10. Florida

That these places landed on the list isn’t exactly surprising. Illinois, which has gain notoriety for its high-profile corruption cases in recent years, is paired with states like Mississippi and Louisiana, which are some of the least economically developed in the country. The researchers also found that for 9 out of the 10 of the most corrupt states, overall state spending was higher than in less corrupt states (South Dakota was the only exception). Attacking corruption, the researchers argue, could be a good way to bring down state spending without hurting services that people need.

Researchers also found that spending in these states was different than their less corrupt counterparts. According to the report,​
“states with higher levels of corruption are likely to favor construction, salaries, borrowing, correction, and police protection at the expense of social sectors such as education, health and hospitals.”

The paper explains that construction spending, especially on big infrastructure projects, is particularly susceptible to corruption because the quality of large, nonstandard projects are difficult for the public to gauge, while the industry is dominated by a few monopolistic firms. Corrupt states also tend to, for obvious reasons, simply have more and better paid public servants, including police and correctional officers. The researchers argue that the need for correctional officers is greater in corrupt places too because “the overall extent of corruption will be higher in states with higher numbers of convictions of public officials.”

Of course, it’s not all bad news, as the study also found the least corrupt states too. Citizens of these states–Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Vermont, Utah, New Hampshire, Colorado, and Kansas–can take solace in the fact that they’re not getting ripped off as badly as the rest of us.

I could have SWORN I was going to see New Jersey in here. Wow. But otherwise I can believe this list. I know LA very well and agree. Chris McDaniel pushed MS up on the list.

Gee, Sarah Palin's Alaska ranks no. 7. Bwahahahahahahaaa.....

1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana
3. Tennessee
4. Illinois
5. Pennsylvania
6. Alabama
7. Alaska
8. South Dakota
9. Kentucky
10. Florida

The difference is that we put our criminal politicians in jail, the northern states and california vote them into higher paying positions.

Edwin Edwards (ex governor) went to jail, Ray Nagin (ex mayor of NOLA) is going to jail for 20 years or more. How many criminal politicians in NJ and Ca are in jail?

For Alabama which is also listed as a red state I have 37 Democrats after the Civil War till now. And only 5 Republicans.

So how are Alabama and Mississippi classed as red States?

Let's see. What makes a state a red state? What criteria did the author use? Did the author just use Presidential elections?

Mississippi the most corrupt state has had only 5 Republican Governors.

Since Mississippi became a state, it has had 64 governors, including 55 Democrats and 5 Republicans.

List of Governors of Mississippi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually if you go back to the 60's most of the southern states were blue and those (D)'s were against the civil rights bill of 1964.

Also in many of these "Red" states the much of the corruption is in the cities that seem to be always blue.

Mmmm mmmm mmmm.

Moving along to the great state of Louisiana. We have these numbers since 1803. 41 D's and having spent a great amount of time in that wonderful state I know all about the Longs.

I used to go to bay ups at Uncle Earl's.:eusa_angel:

Number of Governors of Louisiana by party affiliation
Democratic 41
Republican 11
Democratic-Republican 3
Whig 3
National Republican 5

Let's see. What makes a state a red state? What criteria did the author use? Did the author just use Presidential elections?

Since Mississippi became a state, it has had 64 governors, including 55 Democrats and 5 Republicans.

Actually if you go back to the 60's most of the southern states were blue and those (D)'s were against the civil rights bill of 1964.

Also in many of these "Red" states the much of the corruption is in the cities that seem to be always blue.

Yuppers. Our resident USMB left wing whacko rdean is always putting up these stupid threads trying to claim that red states get the most government money. Of course the data is always skewed rendering the findings an utter pant load of liberal crap.

Safe to say that had Star stumbled across this article in his boyfriends waste basket and it named Illinois number one...he would have swallowed the evidence.

would be the Chrissy (tingles) Matthews?

dear gawd, Illinois is number 1

Detroit-2

what a bunch of bs

Correlation /= causation. I can't believe I actually have to come in here and make that statement.

Unless they polled the convicts to see what their party affiliation is, this study proves nothing about party affiliation being linked to corruption. Not even including that it obviously doesn't include those who were never caught and those who weren't convicted.

Furthermore, being from a central red state myself, just because the state is red for presidential/senate/house elections doesn't mean all or even most public officials are republican. Local politics are a whole different ball game.

Anyone trying to make this into a statement about a specific party being more corrupt is being downright dishonest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

June 10, 2014

<snip>

1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana
3. Tennessee
4. Illinois
5. Pennsylvania
6. Alabama
7. Alaska
8. South Dakota
9. Kentucky

10. Florida

You post something from Matthews. Really? What a joke. Does he still have an orgasm running down his leg when Obama speaks? Chris Matthews...LMAO are you for real?

Yuppers. Our resident USMB left wing whacko rdean is always putting up these stupid threads trying to claim that red states get the most government money. Of course the data is always skewed rendering the findings an utter pant load of liberal crap.

If Strom wasn't tits up he'd be laughing his ass off at your ahistorical take -er- actually, I think that grumpy old fart would more likely be really-really pissed that y'all ain't giving him his due credit for turning the solid Democratic South into the lockstep Republican South. Ask yourself, what would Strom say? -giggle-

Actually California is the crookedest state. They have bilked their taxpayers out of billions through higher taxes and stupid mandates.
Illinois comes close for the same reasons. Plus 3 of the last 4 governors either are in prison or served time there.

How much does California get back from the federal government for every dollar they send? You don't know? Figures.

Why do Texas and other Red States go to California looking for skilled workers? You don't know? Figures.

Republican brains are unable to decipher the symbiotic relationship between taxes and taxpayer ROI. When taxes help Americans in their constitutionally protected "pursuit of happiness"... healthy, well educated, nutritionally stable, people with a roof over their heads are more likely to find their bootstraps and become income earning taxpayers than hungry, sick. high school dropouts but-----but somehow Republican brains are unable to process that simple truth.

Actually California is the crookedest state. They have bilked their taxpayers out of billions through higher taxes and stupid mandates.
Illinois comes close for the same reasons. Plus 3 of the last 4 governors either are in prison or served time there.

Republican brains are unable to decipher the symbiotic relationship between taxes and taxpayer ROI. When taxes help Americans in their constitutionally protected "pursuit of happiness"... healthy, well educated, nutritionally stable, people with a roof over their heads are more likely to find their bootstraps and become income earning taxpayers than hungry, sick. high school dropouts but-----but somehow Republican brains are unable to process that simple truth.
Hmm, Chicago has among the highest taxes in the country. Yet how many homeless, malnourished uneducated people are there?
Dallas has lower taxes.
Once again, your ignorance makes you look stooopid.

I recall Gov Clinton telling the people of AR what a great plan he had for us to pay for MI nuclear power.

and that shit was never made public when he ran for Pres

so

gfu

What does that have to do with being crooked? Yeah nothing.

Obama murders teens in drone strikes!

You thought it did.

Lair!

lair noun \&#712;ler\
: the place where a wild animal sleeps

: a place where someone hides or where someone goes to be alone and to feel safe or comfortable

Full Definition of LAIR

dial British : a resting or sleeping place : bed
a : the resting or living place of a wild animal : den
b : a refuge or place for hiding
See lair defined for English-language learners »
See lair defined for kids »

Hmm, Chicago has among the highest taxes in the country. Yet how many homeless, malnourished uneducated people are there?
Dallas has lower taxes.
Once again, your ignorance makes you look stooopid.

Uninsured children in Illinois:

About All Kids

Uninsured children in Texas:

A Million Texas Children Remain Without Insurance « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

With 25 percent of Texas children living in poverty, a rate that consistently runs 5 percent above the national average, Texas ranks 41st in the nation in number of uninsured kids, even though the unemployment rate is lower than the national average.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

You would think with Texas doing so well, it would take care of it's children.

Guess not.

But then, when did Republicans decide they like children, after they were born I mean.

Forum List

Back