New San Francisco restaurant replaces humans with iPads

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour and this happens everywhere.

Those sick and tired of having to deal with their fellow humans all the time have a new respite – a fully automated restaurant in San Francisco.

Customers at Eatsa in the Financial District will order from an iPad, sending the order to the kitchen. When the meal is ready, it appears in a small glass compartment. The food is prepared by real people, but the patrons never have to see them.

I think the minimum wage thing is probably a red herring because this is probably the direction we're headed in spite of wages.

Its just better.

All we can do is watch it unfold and uh.....rush to school for degrees in programming.

I think the minimum wage thing is probably a red herring because this is probably the direction we're headed in spite of wages.

Its just better.

All we can do is watch it unfold and uh.....rush to school for degrees in programming.

Oh, I agree that down the road this is the future regardless, but jacking up the minimum wage that drastically is only going to hasten it.

Its just better.

Oh, I agree that down the road this is the future regardless, but jacking up the minimum wage that drastically is only going to hasten it.
Hmm yea, youre right. I would def. Feel a greater incentive to speed it up had I run my own business and was facing a forced wage increase. True.

Raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour and this happens everywhere.

Those sick and tired of having to deal with their fellow humans all the time have a new respite – a fully automated restaurant in San Francisco.

Customers at Eatsa in the Financial District will order from an iPad, sending the order to the kitchen. When the meal is ready, it appears in a small glass compartment. The food is prepared by real people, but the patrons never have to see them.

$15/ hour meets 15cents a day

I think this is the directions we are going either we increase the minimum wage or not. Seen this in Singapore last year. I also ran into Applebee's in riverside county ca this year. The host explained that you can order through the screen or to the waiter.

Inevitable anyway, but higher minimum wages will definitely speed up the process.
Get ready Seattle.

We are going to see a lot more automation as time progresses and if we have learned anything increased productivity of any type increases jobs and does not decrease them. Industrialization from 1875 to 1975, did not eliminate jobs, it increased them so the next exploding generation had plenty of work. Likewise, the advent of computers has not done anything like what people feared.
Addressing the cost of education will make the transition much easier, something we don't learn until it is too late to avoid damaging ourselves. But that's how the chips lay.

Good, maybe my order will be right. I'll leave a AA battery as a tip...

We are going to see a lot more automation as time progresses and if we have learned anything increased productivity of any type increases jobs and does not decrease them. Industrialization from 1875 to 1975, did not eliminate jobs, it increased them so the next exploding generation had plenty of work. Likewise, the advent of computers has not done anything like what people feared.
Addressing the cost of education will make the transition much easier, something we don't learn until it is too late to avoid damaging ourselves. But that's how the chips lay.

The next generation is going to need to be a lot more technical than today's given the speed of automation and when you look at the state of public education in this country, it ain't looking too good.

The next generation is going to need to be a lot more technical than today's given the speed of automation and when you look at the state of public education in this country, it ain't looking too good.

I agree, and assuming a debt of $62 billion (the amount spent on college in 2012), would only cost Americans .70 cents a day. I think that should be examined and discussed. I can't think of a single move that could put us back on top of education and better America as a result.

Good. You don't have to worry about iPads getting snot in your food. Hope the trend skyrockets.

I agree, and assuming a debt of $62 billion (the amount spent on college in 2012), would only cost Americans .70 cents a day. I think that should be examined and discussed. I can't think of a single move that could put us back on top of education and better America as a result.
You can't think, period. Students spend a fortune on education. One of the reasons tuition skyrocketed is government backed loans. With more money to spend, they charged more. Duh, that's high school economics. Very predictable.

You want a break in education? Join the military.

You can't think, period. Students spend a fortune on education. One of the reasons tuition skyrocketed is government backed loans. With more money to spend, they charged more. Duh, that's high school economics. Very predictable.

You want a break in education? Join the military.

Bullshit. You can go to college for free in Germany, you included. All you have to do is learn and speak German and it hasn't resulted in skyrocketing education costs.

The good news is that those who work in fast food will soon be getting upwards of $30.00 an hour. The bad news is that there will be far fewer of them. Maybe a programmer for a district and a repairman for 10 or more outlets.

Automation is coming either way, and cherry picking one restaurant means nothing. Regardless, do we never raise wages since automation would be sped up? And once it gets here, how do we respond? Fucking idiots want to take away the safety net and never raise wages. Regardless, you act like the orders would be correct all of the time.. I've worked in fast food, the POS ordering is a mess and hard to use, if you ring something up In a slightly wrong way, the whole order is fucked up, and now people are doing this shit on iPads like it will be better.. So, OP, what is your plan? Let automation come when wages never move like they are now, or help out workers. Oh, by the way, the cost of living in these cities is atrocious, wages need to keep up. As mentioned, cherry picking is what you love to do, want to claim teachers are going to vanish because of a robot in Japan?

The days of waiters and waitresses may be coming to an end.
No. They will change though. Waitstaff will become highly trained and found only at the most expensive restaurants. There are already schools that will train professional servers.

Forum List

Back