NFC West...The Gate Keepers To The Superbowl....

HUGGY

I Post Because I Care
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle at large...Ballard lately
The most significant developement to Seattle's spanking of the 9ers at the CLink Sunday evening may not just be the loss to the Hawks by SF.

The one game late in last season may not mean much but two such drubbings by the same team will have the rest of the remaining opponents on SF's schedule studying hard on what Carroll and his staff put together to tame the Niners. No...crowd noise was not as big a deal as one might think. It certainly didn't account for an average point differential of 27.5 pts per contest. It was just noise....not some special magic.

SF plays much the same teams as Seattle thruout the remaining season. In fact the 9ers have somewhat of an advantage in that they play at least two of thier strongest opponents at home in SF.

There was really nothing to "book" on Seattle because so far nothing has worked.

What NOT to do as in the GB game and what to replace "what not to do" with what the Seahawks did may allow a Rams or Falcons team a win in the Bay. Seattle certainly knows by now what works against the 49ers and will have the 4 starting defensive players and Okueng and Harvin to add salt to the wounds next time we play in SF.

SF can only count on the standard 3 point advantage in the rematch. That's a very long way from what's been going on lately in our NFC West rivalry.

The most significant developement to Seattle's spanking of the 9ers at the CLink Sunday evening may not just be the loss to the Hawks by SF.

The one game late in last season may not mean much but two such drubbings by the same team will have the rest of the remaining opponents on SF's schedule studying hard on what Carroll and his staff put together to tame the Niners. No...crowd noise was not as big a deal as one might think. It certainly didn't account for an average point differential of 27.5 pts per contest. It was just noise....not some special magic.

SF plays much the same teams as Seattle thruout the remaining season. In fact the 9ers have somewhat of an advantage in that they play at least two of thier strongest opponents at home in SF.

There was really nothing to "book" on Seattle because so far nothing has worked.

What NOT to do as in the GB game and what to replace "what not to do" with what the Seahawks did may allow a Rams or Falcons team a win in the Bay. Seattle certainly knows by now what works against the 49ers and will have the 4 starting defensive players and Okueng and Harvin to add salt to the wounds next time we play in SF.

SF can only count on the standard 3 point advantage in the rematch. That's a very long way from what's been going on lately in our NFC West rivalry.

A couple of points.

First, the crowd noise was certainly not the whole reason for the smackdown, not by a long shot....but Seattle is amazingly better at home than on the road. I don't recall the numbers, but over the last decade or so Seattle is well over .500 at home and well below on the road. So the home field certainly is an advantage.

Now to the more important point. Yes, I'm sure other teams will look at what Seattle did to try and emulate it against the Niners. The problem is that no one really has the personnel to do it. Seattle has the best, most physical corners in the NFL. Is there another team that even comes close? We're talking about arguably the best defense in the league, so there are going to be plenty of things that other teams can't do that Seattle can.

One last point : while it's more acceptable against the Seahawks because of how good their D is, the Niners have not been able to run the football in the first 2 games. If they can't figure out why that is and fix it, we could see the team fall pretty far, maybe even miss the playoffs. San Fran is built on the run and defense. Kaepernick is a damn good qb, he looks like he'll be a star for years to come, but this isn't a fast, high-powered passing game for the most part.

Neither is Seattle, as both teams are built along similar lines, but the Seahawks didn't have the same problems running the ball in the second game.

If the Niners can get back to the kind of running game they had last year, these will be the two teams to beat in the NFC this year. If not, the division belongs to Seattle.

Speaking of running... I think I'll start another thread.. I'll call it the Passing of Ken Norton. It is possible that the Jags will run for zero yards this weekend in Seattle.

Last edited:
Speaking of running... I think I'll start another thread.. I'll call it the Passing of Ken Norton. It is possible that the Jags will run for zero yards this weekend in Seattle.

Close, I think the Jags got 51 yards total on the ground. Seattle remands number in in pass defense and 13th in run defense. Number one in scoring defense and total yardage given up.

Close, I think the Jags got 51 yards total on the ground. Seattle remands number in in pass defense and 13th in run defense. Number one in scoring defense and total yardage given up.

That is exactly why I have a lot of confidense in the Hawks this season and for more to come. Defense is the thing.

Forum List

Back