Nichelle Nichols, Uhura in ‘Star Trek,’ Dies at 89

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Nichelle Nichols, who portrayed communications officer Uhura on the original “Star Trek” series, died Saturday night in Silver City, N.M. She was 89 years old.

Nichols’ death was confirmed by Gilbert Bell, her talent manager and business partner of 15 years.

Nichols shared one of the first interracial kisses in television history on “Star Trek.” That moment, with her co-star William Shatner, was a courageous move on the part of her, “Star Trek” creator Gene Roddenberry and NBC considering the climate at the time, but the episode “Plato’s Stepchildren,” which aired in 1968, was written to give all involved an out: Uhura and Captain Kirk did not choose to kiss but were instead made to do so involuntarily by aliens with the ability to control the movements of humans. Nevertheless, it was a landmark moment.

Damn, she was the same age as my mom.

Nichelle Nichols, who portrayed communications officer Uhura on the original “Star Trek” series, died Saturday night in Silver City, N.M. She was 89 years old.

Nichols’ death was confirmed by Gilbert Bell, her talent manager and business partner of 15 years.

Nichols shared one of the first interracial kisses in television history on “Star Trek.” That moment, with her co-star William Shatner, was a courageous move on the part of her, “Star Trek” creator Gene Roddenberry and NBC considering the climate at the time, but the episode “Plato’s Stepchildren,” which aired in 1968, was written to give all involved an out: Uhura and Captain Kirk did not choose to kiss but were instead made to do so involuntarily by aliens with the ability to control the movements of humans. Nevertheless, it was a landmark moment.

Captain Kirk will be the next casualty on the list of the original Star Trek crew within a few years.

Ahhhhh --- :( But I'm glad she lived so long. And Kirk, too.

Uhuru was wonderful, beautiful and gentle, and busty. She was a great cast member. Of course we watched the whole series again a few years ago.

Captain Kirk will be the next casualty on the list of the original Star Trek crew within a few years.
They will all live forever, you know. Well, many centuries, at least.

As soon as it happened the phones were busy with us kids calling each other and it was all the talk at school the next day. Teacher had to ''shush us'' it was a taboo subject for awhile . She was a fine stage actress as well and once got rave reviews as Lady McBeth.
Lived a full life and made a mark and will be remembered. RIP Lady Nichols :)

Very interesting article. Worth reading.

I notice that you don't list the courage of William Shatner. Horn-dog don't care.

Wonder how she ended up in a small town in New Mexico? Most stars end up living and dying generally around southern Ca or NYC.

MLK was proud of her character and told her as much. I loved Star Trek

Screen shot 2015-08-29 at 10.41.13 AM.jpg
Screen shot 2015-08-29 at 10.19.48 AM.jpg

Nichelle started out mostly a dancer and singer for big bands like Lionel Hampton and Duke Ellington as well as a potential playmate that Hugh Hefner was interested in until one day when (Ella Fitzgerald?) came down ill and Duke asked her if she could fill in as the singer. She went over big.

Then she got her break into television when she got cast for a role in the B&W TV drama "The Lieutenant." The producer of that show was Gene Roddenberry and the two ended up having a fling together.

View attachment 676843 View attachment 676844

Nichelle started out mostly a dancer and singer for big bands like Lionel Hampton and Duke Ellington as well as a potential playmate that Hugh Hefner was interested in until one day when (Ella Fitzgerald?) came down ill and Duke asked her if she could fill in as the singer. She went over big.

Then she got her break into television when she got cast for a role in the B&W TV drama "The Lieutenant." The producer of that show was Gene Roddenberry and the two ended up having a fling together.

I thought she was so beautiful and hot...and I was right

Lieutenant Uhura in my dream

In a dream from early yesterday morning I am sitting on the toilet in a very small bathroom with the door ajar. The door opens to the outside of the house. I am having a bowel movement. Behind me I can hear water running. Is that from a sink or shower?

Through the partly opened door, I can see Nichelle Nichols, as the younger Lieutenant Uhura in a Star Trek uniform, approaching. I try shutting the door but can’t. I call out “Occupied” but she takes a couple of steps closer. I woke up.

According to a dream dictionary, a bowel movement may indicate I am getting rid of strong emotions or old ways of thinking. Given that the slightly open door made the restroom public, I might also want to heed the dictionary comment, “To dream that you have a bowel movement in a public place suggests that you are expressing regret about something that you said.”

None of this explains the presence of Lieutenant Uhura. Perhaps Nichelle Nichols had heard that the Prophet was visiting Heaven in his dream and insisted on meeting me though others advised her that this was not an appropriate time.

Forum List

Back