No Boots on the Ground.

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Uhm, how about we end up hiring contractors do it for us?

image.jpg

Read the article @ http://www.stripes.com/polopoly_fs/...e.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_240/image.jpg a pretty good source for news like this.

Defense Secretary Ash Calls for US 'Boots On The Ground' in IS Fight...

Carter Calls for US 'Boots On The Ground' in IS Fight
January 22, 2016 - Defense Secretary Ash Carter says US forces on the ground will 'enable' local forces and remain focused on an advise and assist mission
Defense Secretary Ash Carter has called for continued U.S. "boots on the ground" in Iraq and Syria to defeat the Islamic State (IS) group. Speaking in an interview with CNBC television at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Carter said U.S. forces on the ground will "enable" local forces and remain focused on an advise and assist mission. "We're looking for opportunities to do more, and there will be boots on the ground. I want to be clear about that," Carter said. "But it's a strategic question, whether you are enabling local forces to take and hold, rather than trying to substitute for them."

3143CB00-9A6B-4E85-A41A-680FC57092E3_w640_s.jpg

The secretary will be meeting with several defense ministers in two weeks. He says many countries are not doing enough in the war against IS, saying that they are in the fight "on paper." "The United States does not ask people for favors...," he said. "We're looking for other people to play their part." The United States currently has about 3,550 service members in Iraq, with about 2,750 of those supporting Iraqi security forces as trainers, advisers or support staff, according to Central Command data released to VOA. There are less than 50 U.S. special forces in Syria.

Carter Calls for US 'Boots on the Ground' in IS Fight

See also:

How Involved Are US Special Forces in Fight Against Islamic State?
January 22, 2016 — As Defense Secretary Ash Carter calls for continued U.S. "boots on the ground" in Iraq and Syria to defeat the Islamic State (IS) group, the public is still trying to figure out the current role of U.S. troops deployed there.
The United States currently has about 3,550 service members in Iraq, with about 2,750 of those aiding Iraqi security forces as trainers, advisers or support staff, according to U.S. Central Command data released to VOA. Some 100 of these are special forces, according to defense officials. There are also 50 U.S. special operations forces in Syria.

07E3BE4A-ACEA-43EB-A44C-8C36A11DCB41_w640_s.jpg

Iraqi, U.S. and Spanish soldiers participate in a training mission outside Baghdad, Iraq​

‘The front lines’

Last week, Carter told service members at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, that U.S. special operators have unique capabilities, from intelligence gathering to "the ability to provide advice and assistance, or accompany local forces to the front lines." Despite assertions from the Obama administration that the U.S. is "not in a combat role" in Iraq and Syria, some officials appear mixed as to whether special forces are on the front lines in the war against the Islamic State. "The SOF [special operations forces] in Syria are going to have to get to the front lines to get the best situational awareness of what's there," a U.S. official who wished to remain anonymous told VOA. "To truly understand — do they need more weapons? Do they need more ammunition? Who are the right partners? They've got to go out there and see it for themselves," he added.

1457512E-0D56-43DF-8945-5DF31910E88E_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy7_cw0.jpg

U.S. special operations forces watch forces from Iraq, Jordan and Lebanon during a multinational military exercise in Zarqa, Jordan.​

Another U.S. official told VOA that "the guys in Syria aren't hanging out on a base," but he wasn't aware of them going to the front lines. They were "advising and assisting" local fighters, he said. But the so-called advise-and-assist role sometimes glosses over what's really going on with special forces, according to Michael Weiss, the author of the book ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror. "I don't think special forces are sent in to advise anything. They're sent in to kill people, to offer backup to somewhat reliable and trustworthy militant proxies," Weiss told VOA.

B8BCBC94-A387-4DB4-86BF-C214A5E5CCEE_w640_s.jpg

A U.S. service member salutes her fallen comrades during a memorial ceremony for six airmen killed in a suicide attack, at Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan​

Even if the military wanted to discuss the activities of the approximately 7,500 special operations forces deployed to at least 85 countries on any given week, the work done by those elite teams is often shielded from the public. "Most of it is classified," said Ken McGraw, the spokesman for U.S. Special Operations Command.

‘Incredibly important' in fighting IS

I suppose an airfield could come in handy. :dunno:

U.S. troops take over air base in Syria, local reports say
U.S. special operations troops have reportedly taken over an airfield in northeastern Syria, potentially clearing the way to flow more American military support to friendly militias fighting the Islamic State group.

A small team of U.S. troops is setting up a base camp at Rmeilan Air Base in the Syrian Kurdish region near Syria's Iraqi and Turkish borders, according to local reports.

So it appears as though Washington may indeed be gearing up for more war but they are hampered in Iraq by politics and are operating under the premise that Syria has no sovereign authority.......a rather dubious claim. As far as Obama's claim that his strategy to defeat ISIS hasn't changed......I take him at his word. There has never been a strategy to defeat ISIS, the strategy has been to replace Assad, and whatever is planned on the ground is probably still aimed at that goal.

This is the Pentagon's new strategy to defeat ISIS
Publicly the Obama administration says its strategy to defeat ISIS has not changed significantly, but realities on the ground and discussions at home indicate otherwise. Details about the shift became clear during the past several weeks, after a series of interviews that Military Times conducted with top commanders in Iraq, senior defense officials in Washington and outside military experts keenly familiar with the Pentagon's war plans.

Meanwhile, Iraqi leaders have begun imposing restrictions on the size and scope of the U.S. military force in their country. Factions within Baghdad’s Shiite-led government are influenced by neighboring Iran and thus oppose expanding the American military mission there. "Iraq is proving to be a lot trickier than we thought," said Michael Knights, a military expert with the the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. "You’ve always got the risk that you can unbalance the government if you do too much. ... We've learned that it can be a lot simpler operating in an environment where you have no sovereign government [like Syria] than to operate in a place where you’ve got one, like in Iraq."

U.S. special operations troops have reportedly taken over an airfield in northeastern Syria, potentially clearing the way to flow more American military support to friendly militias fighting the Islamic State group.

A small team of U.S. troops is setting up a base camp at Rmeilan Air Base in the Syrian Kurdish region near Syria's Iraqi and Turkish borders, according to local reports.

Wait....we invaded Syria?

So it appears as though Washington may indeed be gearing up for more war but they are hampered in Iraq by politics and are operating under the premise that Syria has no sovereign authority.......a rather dubious claim. As far as Obama's claim that his strategy to defeat ISIS hasn't changed......I take him at his word. There has never been a strategy to defeat ISIS, the strategy has been to replace Assad, and whatever is planned on the ground is probably still aimed at that goal.

Publicly the Obama administration says its strategy to defeat ISIS has not changed significantly, but realities on the ground and discussions at home indicate otherwise. Details about the shift became clear during the past several weeks, after a series of interviews that Military Times conducted with top commanders in Iraq, senior defense officials in Washington and outside military experts keenly familiar with the Pentagon's war plans.

Meanwhile, Iraqi leaders have begun imposing restrictions on the size and scope of the U.S. military force in their country. Factions within Baghdad’s Shiite-led government are influenced by neighboring Iran and thus oppose expanding the American military mission there. "Iraq is proving to be a lot trickier than we thought," said Michael Knights, a military expert with the the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. "You’ve always got the risk that you can unbalance the government if you do too much. ... We've learned that it can be a lot simpler operating in an environment where you have no sovereign government [like Syria] than to operate in a place where you’ve got one, like in Iraq."
Well you was doing good until that Assad assertion and doing nothing to defeat ISIS..I mean, you people miss the mark every time..It is Congress which must give Oblama the power to wage war on a larger scale than he is allowed to perform now..Oblama ask last year for more, but Congress denied him...
Some people just don't understand what chain of command and due process is...

No, but there was an agreement between Assad and the US...

Well you was doing good until that Assad assertion and doing nothing to defeat ISIS..I mean, you people miss the mark every time..It is Congress which must give Oblama the power to wage war on a larger scale than he is allowed to perform now..Oblama ask last year for more, but Congress denied him...
I do understand how things work, which is why I am raising this topic. I didn't see anything about Obama getting permission from Congress to take over Syrian territory nor did I see Assad give permission for its use. And BTW, Assad's permission if granted, doesn't supersede Congress.

Ah....the guy who gassed his own people?

Well if there's an agreement then that's legal.

Ah....the guy who gassed his own people?

Well if there's an agreement then that's legal.
Just like when Bush paid Sunni's in the Anbar to fight for the US...or when he aligned with Qaddafi...

The US has a long history of supporting repressive regimes, why stop with Bush? US policy toward repressive regimes is determined by the value to capitalists.

It is Congress which must give Oblama the power to wage war on a larger scale than he is allowed to perform now..Oblama ask last year for more, but Congress denied him...
Really...........Congress denied him huh. Will you speak out against this deployment or do you support it, even without congressional approval?

Ash Carter: It’s Time to Accelerate the ISIL Fight
By ASH CARTER

1/22/2016

The storied 101st Airborne Division will soon deploy 1,800 troops to Iraq to aid in the fight against ISIL. They will head there with the support of the American people and armed with a clear campaign plan to help our allies deliver the barbaric organization a lasting defeat, which I personally shared with them last week at Fort Campbell. I also traveled to U.S. Central Command in Tampa, Florida, where I discussed the plan’s implementation with our top commanders. And this week I visited Paris, a city of determination and resolve, to discuss the plan with our allies.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/ash-carter-isil-fight-213554#ixzz3yBWDVXRK

Forum List

Back