No shootings at parochial schools. Why? What are they doing right?

What are Catholic/private schools doing right that Public schools are not?

• More discipline

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Religious teaching

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • High tuition

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • More parental involvement

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Strict dress code

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters

kyzr

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2009
I was curious if any school shootings happened at Catholic schools, so far there were none. There were about 200 public school shootings since 2000.
This is significant since about 25% of US students attend Catholic/private schools. Should public schools learn from what Catholic schools are doing right? Maybe buying bullet-proof backpacks isn't the answer?

Catholic schools, spared from mass school shootings, remain vigilant

Lets take a poll...

I was curious if any school shootings happened at Catholic schools, so far there were none. There were about 200 public school shootings since 2000.
This is significant since about 25% of US students attend Catholic/private schools. Should public schools learn from what Catholic schools are doing right? Maybe buying bullet-proof backpacks isn't the answer?

Lets take a poll...

A little apples and oranges there, you ask about Catholic schools, but cite numbers for Catholic/private schools.

Not saying you are not on to something, but that is a little muddled there.

Were there no shooting in any PRIVATE schools, at all? What percentage of schools are catholic?

What are the 99% of schools altogether in the Country doing "right" to not have had any shootings :rolleyes:

Lets take a poll...

A little apples and oranges there, you ask about Catholic schools, but cite numbers for Catholic/private schools.

Not saying you are not on to something, but that is a little muddled there.

Were there no shooting in any PRIVATE schools, at all? What percentage of schools are catholic?

The link I found said that "the vast majority" of private schools are Catholic. You can google it if you want more precise numbers.
But due to tuition, attendance is dropping off recently, so look at numbers 10-20 years ago.

Tighter security.

Strict standards of who can attend.
Not sure what you mean "strict standards of who can attend"? If you pay the tuition you're in, Jews, Protestants, anyone.

i looked at a catholic school for my child. The dealbreaker was mandatory volunteerism. That would be a hard bar for any single parents. (Could not split the required hours between two spouses)

Tighter security.

Not sure what you mean "strict standards of who can attend"? If you pay the tuition you're in, Jews, Protestants, anyone.

They have strict standards of who can attend, it is not just about money. Grades. Discipline issue. Learning disabilities. All can be denied attendance to their schools.

Lets take a poll...

Given that hundreds of thousands of boys were raped by priests, you would think there would be lots of those grown boys coming back and shooting the schools and parishes up.

What are the 99% of schools altogether in the Country doing "right" to not have had any shootings :rolleyes:

If one good sized category of schools, are totally missing a certain problem, it makes sense to ask why.

Lets take a poll...

Given that hundreds of thousands of boys were raped by priests, you would think there would be lots of those grown boys coming back and shooting the schools up.

And yet, not. So, something about your expectation is wrong.

This is starting to look like a very good question.

Tighter security.

They have strict standards of who can attend, it is not just about money. Grades. Discipline issue. Learning disabilities. All can be denied attendance to their schools.

And perhaps, "all" contribute to dodging the types of problem kids that turn into shooters?

If one good sized category of schools, are totally missing a certain problem, it makes sense to ask why.
Not really, that's correlative inference with no justification...since school shootings are not happening in a bubble all done by some same hive mind. They're done by individuals, and the reasons vary but typically land on a brain malfunction.

Tighter security.

Not sure where you're from, but it doesn't work like that around here. Private schools mostly have entry exams.

They have something new that wasn't around when my kids were growing. I never heard of STEM schools, Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics.
I could see STEM schools having entrance exams, since the curriculum is so challenging.

Tighter security.

And perhaps, "all" contribute to dodging the types of problem kids that turn into shooters?

Of course they do. Public schools are not allowed to do those things.

Not really, that's correlative inference with no justification...since school shootings are not happening in a bubble all done by some same hive mind. They're done by individuals, and the reasons vary but typically land on a brain malfunction.

Thus the asking of the question, is there a cause? And if so, what is it?

Seems unlikely that with 200 instances, that it would just be random chance.

Lets take a poll...

Given that hundreds of thousands of boys were raped by priests, you would think there would be lots of those grown boys coming back and shooting the schools and parishes up.

Public school teachers sexually assaulted more children than priests have and you are forced to send your kids to those schools...

Forum List

Back