No shootings at parochial schools. Why? What are they doing right?

What are Catholic/private schools doing right that Public schools are not?

• More discipline

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Religious teaching

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • High tuition

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • More parental involvement

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Strict dress code

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
Of course they do. Public schools are not allowed to do those things.

Seems kind of a quick jump. Is it all of them, or just three of them? Can we learn from this and apply a lesson to make public schools safer?

Should public schools have entrance exams?

Should public schools be allowed to refuse kids with learning disabilities?

What percentage of public schools have had a shooting at them?

How many lives would be saved, if we did that, vs how many kids would lose out opportunities if we did that?

Tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands would lose out on opportunities and this year it would have saved 7 lives.

Answer me this, if the problem lies with the public schools, why is it only 0.004% of public schools have a shooting each year?

There are about 13,500 school districts and 200 have had mass shootings, that's 1.5%, not 0.004%

To be fair a district may have mulitiple schools. There are nearly 98,000 public schools in the US

If one good sized category of schools, are totally missing a certain problem, it makes sense to ask why.
Not really, that's correlative inference with no justification...since school shootings are not happening in a bubble all done by some same hive mind. They're done by individuals, and the reasons vary but typically land on a brain malfunction.

Thus the asking of the question, is there a cause? And if so, what is it?

Seems unlikely that with 200 instances, that it would just be random chance.
Theres a cause, and it has nothing to do with what "type" of school they go to ~ thats really dopey because as far as anyone can tell, Schools themselves dont cause mental disabilities or sell guns to Minors.

So, how do you explain the discrepancy claimed in the op?
It doesn't require explanation because it's a bad inference.

1st of all, The Sandey Hook shooter wasn't an Elementary School student. He shot up a school that he wasn't even attending. Chew on that for 5 minutes until it hits you.

Yeah, I got that. I knew that not all shooters were students. I thought we all knew that.

Bad inferences get you to really, super dumb places.

For instance, why are there Church and Mosque shootings in places of God-worship - and we haven't heard of one at a Satanic Temple? What are they doing right?!?!?!?

Probably just being too rare would be my first guess. Second guess would be that crazy evil people want to kill good people, not silly people.

See how stupid that is?

You cannot make a statistical inference in a sample set as small as 200, especially as it pertains to schools because newsflash: only 10% of students in grades k-12 are in private school, and an even smaller percentage of that in catholic schools.

Of those students in catholic schools, 100% of them have had a place of their religious worship (we call them a Church) shot up somewhere in this Country.

^this is how we make bad inferences, when we're dummies.

The small sample size is a valid point. But it is all the numbers we got. On the plus side, as time goes on, we will get more data.

Yeah!

I was curious if any school shootings happened at Catholic schools, so far there were none. There were about 200 public school shootings since 2000.
This is significant since about 25% of US students attend Catholic/private schools. Should public schools learn from what Catholic schools are doing right? Maybe buying bullet-proof backpacks isn't the answer?

Catholic schools, spared from mass school shootings, remain vigilant

Lets take a poll...

Given that hundreds of thousands of boys were raped by priests, you would think there would be lots of those grown boys coming back and shooting the schools and parishes up.

Public school teachers sexually assaulted more children than priests have and you are forced to send your kids to those schools...

No one is forced to attend public schools. You are forced to attend school, not just public schools. Private school and home schooling are optional.

Yes......you have money taken from your earnings to pay for public schools, so if you want to send you kid to a private school, you pay twice..... so, sorry, you are wrong.....

You said "forced". That was YOUR error.

I have no kids in school anymore, yet I pay taxes. That is part of the social contract for an educated society.

Seems kind of a quick jump. Is it all of them, or just three of them? Can we learn from this and apply a lesson to make public schools safer?

How many lives would be saved, if we did that, vs how many kids would lose out opportunities if we did that?

Tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands would lose out on opportunities and this year it would have saved 7 lives.

Answer me this, if the problem lies with the public schools, why is it only 0.004% of public schools have a shooting each year?

There are about 13,500 school districts and 200 have had mass shootings, that's 1.5%, not 0.004%

There are 98,000 public schools. There are about 30 a year, 95% of which have no deaths.

30/98,000 is roughly 0.004%

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
They have strict standards of who can attend, it is not just about money. Grades. Discipline issue. Learning disabilities. All can be denied attendance to their schools.

And perhaps, "all" contribute to dodging the types of problem kids that turn into shooters?

100% more than any Catholic school.

Wrong.

Not really, that's correlative inference with no justification...since school shootings are not happening in a bubble all done by some same hive mind. They're done by individuals, and the reasons vary but typically land on a brain malfunction.

Theres a cause, and it has nothing to do with what "type" of school they go to ~ thats really dopey because as far as anyone can tell, Schools themselves dont cause mental disabilities or sell guns to Minors.

1st of all, The Sandey Hook shooter wasn't an Elementary School student. He shot up a school that he wasn't even attending. Chew on that for 5 minutes until it hits you.

Yeah, I got that. I knew that not all shooters were students. I thought we all knew that.

For instance, why are there Church and Mosque shootings in places of God-worship - and we haven't heard of one at a Satanic Temple? What are they doing right?!?!?!?

Probably just being too rare would be my first guess. Second guess would be that crazy evil people want to kill good people, not silly people.

See how stupid that is?

You cannot make a statistical inference in a sample set as small as 200, especially as it pertains to schools because newsflash: only 10% of students in grades k-12 are in private school, and an even smaller percentage of that in catholic schools.

Of those students in catholic schools, 100% of them have had a place of their religious worship (we call them a Church) shot up somewhere in this Country.

The small sample size is a valid point. But it is all the numbers we got. On the plus side, as time goes on, we will get more data.

Yeah!
It's not just a valid point, it's the exact point.

The OP is based on a bad inference, and you're looking to extrapolate things from a bad inference, that's dopey.

Here in FL there are more protestant schools but the predominately black private schools advertised on TV were a bit of a shock to me when I moved back here as an adult.

Any time you have two parents involved they are more involved in there child’s life.

My nephew goes to a black school where most have no father.. THEY HAVE NO calculus teacher. His parents will be going to the superintendent when school starts to ask why.. the black single mother doesn’t understand the importance of a education

Because the issues we are discussing rarely escalate to mass shootings?

So, your position is that we could do something to reduce mass shootings, but the price is too high for the small numbers of lives lost.

Fair enough.

We could cut the number of people killed in auto accidents by making all speed limits 30 MPH across the country. But we do not become the cost is too high.

You want to disadvantage hundreds of thousands of students, with no real evidence it would save a single life.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that, according to the National Center for Education Statistics, there are 10 times as many students in public schools (49.5 million) than there are in private schools in the U.S. (5 million) and that private school students tend to come from a higher average socioeconomic status than those of public schools.

The reason is quite clear: Catholic school children don’t play video games. It’s a sin.

There are 98,000 public schools. There are about 30 a year, 95% of which have no deaths.

30/98,000 is roughly 0.004%
Thank you.

And the question is, what are the odds that something that ONLY happens in 0.004% of schools ... happens in a school that only around 5% of the students go to?

Beuller? Beuller - - - we wouldn't expect to see any at all, since shootings themselves are a statistical anomaly of barely 4 thousandths of one percent.

There could be a number reasons:
  • Maybe kids who select Catholic Schools are not the shooter type. This could have nothing to do with Religion.
  • Could be a the areas Catholic Schools are...
  • Could be Catholics don't like shooting up schools There has been no school shootings in Ireland, Italy or Spain...
  • Catholic teaching ethos could have something to do with it

shootings_thumb.0.png

I was curious if any school shootings happened at Catholic schools, so far there were none. There were about 200 public school shootings since 2000.
This is significant since about 25% of US students attend Catholic/private schools. Should public schools learn from what Catholic schools are doing right? Maybe buying bullet-proof backpacks isn't the answer?

Lets take a poll...
Teaching right from wrong, good vs evil. Not 50 shades of grey, putting condoms on cucumbers, and 83 genders.
So you're endorsing public schools as it pertains to teaching right from wrong? You must be, since 99.997% of public school students don't become shooters.
I grew up in a public school where every morning before class not only did we say the "Pledge of Allegiance", but also a prayer to God. When a atheist bitch didnt want her son to participate in the prayer, instead of allowing the kid not to pray, they banned all prayers as typical of liberal policies. When you see the products coming out of public education, like a Bernie Voter or any other libtard, there is definately a problem with immorality being FORCED upon the children of said education system.

https://nypost.com/2015/06/14/reading-math-nah-lets-teach-kids-how-to-put-on-a-condom/

Lets take a poll...
Teaching right from wrong, good vs evil. Not 50 shades of grey, putting condoms on cucumbers, and 83 genders.
So you're endorsing public schools as it pertains to teaching right from wrong? You must be, since 99.997% of public school students don't become shooters.
I grew up in a public school where every morning before class not only did we say the "Pledge of Allegiance", but also a prayer to God. When a atheist bitch didnt want her son to participate in the prayer, instead of allowing the kid not to pray, they banned all prayers as typical of liberal policies. When you see the products coming out of public education, like a Bernie Voter or any other libtard, there is definately a problem with immorality being FORCED upon the children of said education system.

https://nypost.com/2015/06/14/reading-math-nah-lets-teach-kids-how-to-put-on-a-condom/
I don't think you're a good representative of any school in any era that you've come from. You're an angry old bat that screams and shouts at people on a daily basis on the internet. That's not what well-adjusted humans do, they have cordial convo, and call it a day. You...rant, like a maniac. Fire all your teachers.

The reason is quite clear: Catholic school children don’t play video games. It’s a sin.

Yeah they do lol.

I think it's more to do with the student's backgrounds, home life and upbringing

None of those matter once you feel the thrill of Minecraft. One minute you're stabbing Creepers and the next you're blowing away Blue Light special shoppers.

If one good sized category of schools, are totally missing a certain problem, it makes sense to ask why.

1st of all, The Sandy Hook shooter wasn't an Elementary School student. He shot up a school that he wasn't even attending. Chew on that for 5 minutes until it hits you.

See how stupid that is?

1. Adam Lanza was 20, so his "school shooting" wasn't typical of the data set of 200 mass shootings BY STUDENTS
Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting - Wikipedia

2. There aren't many Satanic Temples, if any. So please try to do numerically significant examples

3. You claim 100% of religions had a church shooting, please provide a link to a Catholic church shooting in the US

4. There is a difference between "bad inferences" and "statistically significant". The fact you ignore is ZERO school shootings for private schools. ZERO is a very significant number.

5. Just thought of another factor that might save lives. Psychological testing. Maybe profilers could identify or "red flag" certain students who might be shooters? That's assuming that the students would answer truthfully. Then have their parents answer questions as well. There are no privacy rights or civil liberties until you're out of school...

Yeah they do lol.

I think it's more to do with the student's backgrounds, home life and upbringing

None of those matter once you feel the thrill of Minecraft. One minute you're stabbing Creepers and the next you're blowing away Blue Light special shoppers.

Our boys play Call Of Duty...but they're limited on game time

See how stupid that is?

Yeah!
It's not just a valid point, it's the exact point.

The OP is based on a bad inference, and you're looking to extrapolate things from a bad inference, that's dopey.

So, your position is that we cannot do anything about school shootings because the sample size is too small to figure anything out.

Fair enough.

Forum List

Back