No shootings at parochial schools. Why? What are they doing right?

What are Catholic/private schools doing right that Public schools are not?

• More discipline

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Religious teaching

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • High tuition

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • More parental involvement

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Strict dress code

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
The reason is quite clear: Catholic school children don’t play video games. It’s a sin.

Yeah they do lol.

I think it's more to do with the student's backgrounds, home life and upbringing

None of those matter once you feel the thrill of Minecraft. One minute you're stabbing Creepers and the next you're blowing away Blue Light special shoppers.

Our boys play Call Of Duty...but they're limited on game time

That’s game where I spend the whole time blowing myself up with grenades. Apparently I throw the pin. lol

Not really, that's correlative inference with no justification...since school shootings are not happening in a bubble all done by some same hive mind. They're done by individuals, and the reasons vary but typically land on a brain malfunction.

Thus the asking of the question, is there a cause? And if so, what is it?

Seems unlikely that with 200 instances, that it would just be random chance.
Theres a cause, and it has nothing to do with what "type" of school they go to ~ thats really dopey because as far as anyone can tell, Schools themselves dont cause mental disabilities or sell guns to Minors.

So, how do you explain the discrepancy claimed in the op?
It doesn't require explanation because it's a bad inference.

1st of all, The Sandy Hook shooter wasn't an Elementary School student. He shot up a school that he wasn't even attending. Chew on that for 5 minutes until it hits you.

Bad inferences get you to really, super dumb places.

For instance, why are there Church and Mosque shootings in places of God-worship - and we haven't heard of one at a Satanic Temple? What are they doing right?!?!?!?

See how stupid that is?

You cannot make a statistical inference in a sample set as small as 200, especially as it pertains to schools because newsflash: only 10% of students in grades k-12 are in private school, and an even smaller percentage of that in catholic schools.

Of those students in catholic schools, 100% of them have had a place of their religious worship (we call them a Church) shot up somewhere in this Country.

^this is how we make bad inferences, when we're dummies.

1. Adam Lanza was 20, so his "school shooting" wasn't typical of the data set of 200 mass shootings BY STUDENTS
Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting - Wikipedia

2. There aren't many Satanic Temples, if any. So please try to do numerically significant examples

3. You claim 100% of religions had a church shooting, please provide a link to a Catholic church shooting in the US

4. There is a difference between "bad inferences" and "statistically significant". The fact you ignore is ZERO school shootings for private schools. ZERO is a very significant number.

5. Just thought of another factor that might save lives. Psychological testing. Maybe profilers could identify or "red flag" certain students who might be shooters? That's assuming that the students would answer truthfully. Then have their parents answer questions as well. There are no privacy rights or civil liberties until you're out of school...
You missed the point(s)

1. The point about Adam Lanza is that the schools themselves are not the necessary correlative. Actually? Why don't you tell me the Religion of some of the 200 shooters - maybe there's a common Religion...maybe there's no Religions...maybe we should take the 200, and whatever Religion that NONE of them are....we should all convert, because this is how poor inferences work.

2. There aren't that many kids in catholic schools, per capita. It's like 5%, and that's starting with the fact that only 0.004% of schools have shooters. That means you'd expect to finally see a school shooter in a catholic school zero times.

3. In virtue of which specific teaching do you want to separate catholic from christian from baptist, etc. to eliminate the point that fuggin jesus worshipping churches have had shootings? What teaching....specifically....

4. Again, you'd EXPECT zero, since shootings themselves are already a statistical anomaly, and you're talking about schools a very small minority of children even attend.

Theres a cause, and it has nothing to do with what "type" of school they go to ~ thats really dopey because as far as anyone can tell, Schools themselves dont cause mental disabilities or sell guns to Minors.

So, how do you explain the discrepancy claimed in the op?
It doesn't require explanation because it's a bad inference.

1st of all, The Sandey Hook shooter wasn't an Elementary School student. He shot up a school that he wasn't even attending. Chew on that for 5 minutes until it hits you.

Yeah, I got that. I knew that not all shooters were students. I thought we all knew that.

Bad inferences get you to really, super dumb places.

For instance, why are there Church and Mosque shootings in places of God-worship - and we haven't heard of one at a Satanic Temple? What are they doing right?!?!?!?

Probably just being too rare would be my first guess. Second guess would be that crazy evil people want to kill good people, not silly people.

See how stupid that is?

You cannot make a statistical inference in a sample set as small as 200, especially as it pertains to schools because newsflash: only 10% of students in grades k-12 are in private school, and an even smaller percentage of that in catholic schools.

Of those students in catholic schools, 100% of them have had a place of their religious worship (we call them a Church) shot up somewhere in this Country.

^this is how we make bad inferences, when we're dummies.

The small sample size is a valid point. But it is all the numbers we got. On the plus side, as time goes on, we will get more data.

Yeah!
It's not just a valid point, it's the exact point.

The OP is based on a bad inference, and you're looking to extrapolate things from a bad inference, that's dopey.

So, your position is that we cannot do anything about school shootings because the sample size is too small to figure anything out.

Fair enough.
No, that was another bad inference by you, Correll.

I was curious if any school shootings happened at Catholic schools, so far there were none. There were about 200 public school shootings since 2000.
This is significant since about 25% of US students attend Catholic/private schools. Should public schools learn from what Catholic schools are doing right? Maybe buying bullet-proof backpacks isn't the answer?

Catholic schools, spared from mass school shootings, remain vigilant

Lets take a poll...

Given that hundreds of thousands of boys were raped by priests, you would think there would be lots of those grown boys coming back and shooting the schools and parishes up.

Hundreds of thousands? Source needed.

The reason is quite clear: Catholic school children don’t play video games. It’s a sin.

Yeah they do lol.

I think it's more to do with the student's backgrounds, home life and upbringing

None of those matter once you feel the thrill of Minecraft. One minute you're stabbing Creepers and the next you're blowing away Blue Light special shoppers.

Our boys play Call Of Duty...but they're limited on game time

That’s game where I spend the whole time blowing myself up with grenades. Apparently I throw the pin. lol

I once had some raw recruits throw a practice grenade at me during training. When it didn't go off, I realized that they did not pull the pin, so I pulled the pin and threw it back to them. Boom! In comes another grenade towards me. Silence. I picked it up, pulled the pin and threw it back! They got the message the second time!

I was curious if any school shootings happened at Catholic schools, so far there were none. There were about 200 public school shootings since 2000.
This is significant since about 25% of US students attend Catholic/private schools. Should public schools learn from what Catholic schools are doing right? Maybe buying bullet-proof backpacks isn't the answer?

Lets take a poll...

Given that hundreds of thousands of boys were raped by priests, you would think there would be lots of those grown boys coming back and shooting the schools up.

And yet, not. So, something about your expectation is wrong.

This is starting to look like a very good question.

Well then if my expectation is wrong, then the Republicans and Trumpies are wrong when they blame mass shootings on angry young men with emotional issues, now aren't they?

I mean, whose more fucked up than a boy who is repeatedly raped by a man of God?

Lets take a poll...

Given that hundreds of thousands of boys were raped by priests, you would think there would be lots of those grown boys coming back and shooting the schools up.

And yet, not. So, something about your expectation is wrong.

This is starting to look like a very good question.

Well then if my expectation is wrong, then the Republicans and Trumpies are wrong when they blame mass shootings on angry young men with emotional issues, now aren't they?

I mean, whose more fucked up than a boy who is repeatedly raped by a man of God?

Apparently someone taught by secular liberal teachers in the public schools.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

#5 trumps this religious bias. duh. Volunteerism made mandatory steals the will-to-jouissance of the potential shooter, so the pupils are pre-castrated. duh.

Tighter security.

Strict standards of who can attend.
Not sure what you mean "strict standards of who can attend"? If you pay the tuition you're in, Jews, Protestants, anyone.
Not sure where you're from, but it doesnt work like that around here. Private schools mostly have entry exams.
Entry exams yes, but I attended a small Catholic Boy's school. 130 in my graduating class, 3 of them were Jewish.

What are the 99% of schools altogether in the Country doing "right" to not have had any shootings :rolleyes:

If one good sized category of schools, are totally missing a certain problem, it makes sense to ask why.
Have there been any mass shootings at an all black school? How about at an all girls school? How about at schools that start with the letter B?

Lets take a poll...

Your poll is useless because it has the wrong choices. I went to a private high school and in theory, problems there should be HIGHER because after all, by design they will have all the students who didn't fit in or were thrown out of the public school system. But at least in my day, that wasn't the case because they offered a sane environment responsive to the student in contrast to the totally INSANE environment of the public schools (especially now) which are totally UNresponsive to students and expect them to CONFORM, fit into a one-size-fit-all mold, and march to the drill sergeant's drummer, UNDER THREAT OF FORCE AND HARSH PENALTY, with bells ringing, deadlines, guards, crowds, noise, locked doors, strict rules posted everywhere and little fun in between.

NOT the environment where one learns.

Last edited:
What are the 99% of schools altogether in the Country doing "right" to not have had any shootings :rolleyes:

If one good sized category of schools, are totally missing a certain problem, it makes sense to ask why.
Have there been any mass shootings at an all black school? How about at an all girls school? How about at schools that start with the letter B?

I have no idea, but those are very good questions. Except for the one about the b. That was stupid.

Lets take a poll...
False comparison fallacy.

I have no idea, but those are very good questions. Except for the one about the b. That was stupid.
No, it actually illustrates why the premise of this topic is stupid. That was the point.

Lets take a poll...
Religious schools teach respect and restraint...If you're a career fuck-up, you get tossed out.

Parents are more involved because they have some real skin in the game.

No doubt there are aspects to the administration and faculty that are involved in the more productive educational environment as well.

Lets take a poll...
Religious schools teach respect and restraint...If you're a career fuck-up, you get tossed out.

No doubt there are aspects to the administration and faculty that are involved in the more productive educational environment as well.

sure go with that one ...

then look at all the settlements the Catholic church has made with parents of molested children by faculty ...

Lets take a poll...

then look at all the settlements the Catholic church has made with parents of molested children by faculty ...
The topic is school shootings, Gomer.

Lets take a poll...

The topic is school shootings, Gomer.
The respect they do or dont teach is irrelevant, gomer. Public schools, to the tune of 99.996%, dont produce school shooters, Gomer.

Your logic endorses the parenting and staff of the public schools, if youre using the non-shootings at the catholic schools to extrapolate that its based on their ethics, gomer. :thup:

Forum List

Back