Zone1 Noah's Ark

Look, if you're going to jump into a conversation, try and understand what is being said.

A rectangular cuboid.

View attachment 958268

You take the length and you multiply it by the height and multiply it by the width then you get the volume.

View attachment 958269

A boat, if you take the length, and multiply it by the width and multiply it by the height, you WILL NOT GET THE VOLUME because the length, width and height are not CONSISTENT.
I know but we're talking to the definition of cubit.

I wrote nothing about the size of the Ark. Do you want to argue about the size of myth?

noun: cubit; plural noun: cubits; noun: long cubit; plural noun: long cubits
an ancient measure of length, approximately equal to the length of a forearm. It was typically about 18 inches or 44 cm, though there was a long cubit of about 21 inches or 52 cm.

I know but we're talking to the definition of cubit.

I wrote nothing about the size of the Ark. Do you want to argue about the size of myth?

Look, you have the Ark, the Ark has been defined in the Bible as being a certain size.

Does this mean it was a cuboid or does it mean it was boat shaped?

"the ark is to be 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide, and 30 cubits high"

A cuboid?

I think not.

So the point is if you take 300*50*30 you do NOT get the volume of the Ark

Literally I've been told it was a "floating warehouse". And the point I'm making is: there's no evidence for this. It's called an "ark", it's a BOAT and it has certain dimensions.

These dimensions are similar to the Schooner Wyoming which was the largest ever wooden ship, that required pumps. The person I'm arguing with says that it's three or four times larger than the Wyoming and is trying to use the dimensions above to prove this, even though the dimensions above make it SMALLER than the Wyoming.

noun: cubit; plural noun: cubits; noun: long cubit; plural noun: long cubits
an ancient measure of length, approximately equal to the length of a forearm. It was typically about 18 inches or 44 cm, though there was a long cubit of about 21 inches or 52 cm.

The Wyoming was 450 feet long.
Noah's Ark was 300 cubits long.

300 cubits is, 450 feet.

Look, you have the Ark, the Ark has been defined in the Bible as being a certain size.

A cuboid?

I think not.

Literally I've been told it was a "floating warehouse". And the point I'm making is: there's no evidence for this. It's called an "ark", it's a BOAT and it has certain dimensions.

These dimensions are similar to the Schooner Wyoming which was the largest ever wooden ship, that required pumps. The person I'm arguing with says that it's three or four times larger than the Wyoming and is trying to use the dimensions above to prove this, even though the dimensions above make it SMALLER than the Wyoming.
Lol 😂 I never wrote anything about the size or volume of the fictional ark

A cuboid?

I think not.

Lol 😂 I never wrote anything about the size or volume of the fictional ark
Oh for fuck's sake.

Take it up with the poster who calculated volume of a fictional Ark.

Do you know what a cube is? A cube is essentially 6 squares. They've taken the measurements of the Ark and multiplied them all. If you do that, you get a cube, or a rectangular cuboid, essentially.

But this isn't what an "ark" is. An "ark" is a boat. So the top surface will be different to the bottom surface meaning the volume of the thing is much, much less than the math done.
An ark is a box, not a ship. Therefore, the measurements of the volume are correct. The volume of the Wyoming was given earlier in cubic feet, one-fifth of that of the ark.

A ship has certain required features, mainly that it must be able to navigate. The ark lacked this feature. The closest navigation term that can used for the ark is that it was a 'barge'. However, as it was constructed as a building even that term is incorrect.

The Wyoming was 450 feet long.
Noah's Ark was 300 cubits long.

300 cubits is, 450 feet.
Overall length cannot be legitimately compared as nearly a fourth of the length of the Wyoming was the foresail boom and the rear spanker boom. Nor can the draft and freeboard measurements, as the Wyoming's hull shape is that of a ship not a building.

Last edited:
An ark is a box, not a ship. Therefore, the measurements of the volume are correct. The volume of the Wyoming was given earlier in cubic feet, one-fifth of that of the ark.

A ship has certain required features, mainly that it must be able to navigate. The ark lacked this feature. The closest navigation term that can used for the ark is that it was a 'barge'. However, as it was constructed as a building even that term is incorrect.

There's NOTHING, absolutely nothing to suggest it was a "box". Again, you're making stuff up to make it fit.

But either way, the Wyoming needed pumps. The Ark being a similar size would not have survived, it was too big.

Overall length cannot be legitimately compared as nearly a third of the length of the Wyoming was the foresail boom and the rear spanker boom. Nor can the draft and freeboard measurements, as the Wyoming hull shape is that of a ship not a building.

Again, you're just making stuff up.

There's nothing in the Bible, nothing historical at all, to back you up. You haven't even offered anything. You just tell me "it was a box", which is ridiculous.

There's nothing in the Bible, nothing historical at all, to back you up. You haven't even offered anything. You just tell me "it was a box", which is ridiculous.

Woodznutz

Finkel says that a circular ark is similar in appearance to a coracle, a type of river taxi that was commonly used in ancient times in the region now known as Iraq.

The tablet also includes the key instruction that animals should enter "two by two".

According to a 4,000-year-old clay tablet from ancient Mesopotamia, Noah's ark was originally round and had a base that was 230 feet wide.

The tablet, which was discovered in the Middle East by Leonard Simmons and deciphered by Irving Finkel, the assistant curator of Middle East exhibits at the British Museum, provides detailed instructions for building a giant circular vessel called a coracle.

The tablet also includes other instructions, such as using plaited palm fiber waterproofed with bitumen, constructing cabins for people and animals, and sealing the door once everyone is safely inside.

'ŏnîyâ: Hebrew for ship.
tēḇâ: Hebrew for ark.
† תֵּבָה noun feminine ark (properly chest, box (compare Late Hebrew תֵּבָה); probably Egyptian loan-word from T-b-t, chest, coffin (Brugsch, ErmanZMG xlvi (1892), 123); > Babylonian word JenZA iv (1889), 272 f. HalJAssyr., 1888 {Nov.-Dec.}, 517)

A box has three dimensions, as was given for the ark. A ship shaped structure would necessarily have several to many more dimensions. The Wyoming had several more dimensions than the ark.

Ships are designed to navigate under power. The ark was neither.

The instructions given used terms for constructing a building, not a ship.

Last edited:

The ark is a huge circular coracle, 3,600 square metres in dimension or two-thirds the size of a football pitch, made like a giant rope basket strengthened with wooden ribs, and waterproofed with bitumen inside and out. This was a giant version of a craft which the Babylonians knew very well, Finkel pointed out, in daily use up to the late 20th century to transport people and animals across rivers.

Woodznutz

Finkel says that a circular ark is similar in appearance to a coracle, a type of river taxi that was commonly used in ancient times in the region now known as Iraq.

The tablet also includes the key instruction that animals should enter "two by two".

According to a 4,000-year-old clay tablet from ancient Mesopotamia, Noah's ark was originally round and had a base that was 230 feet wide.

The tablet, which was discovered in the Middle East by Leonard Simmons and deciphered by Irving Finkel, the assistant curator of Middle East exhibits at the British Museum, provides detailed instructions for building a giant circular vessel called a coracle.

The tablet also includes other instructions, such as using plaited palm fiber waterproofed with bitumen, constructing cabins for people and animals, and sealing the door once everyone is safely inside.
I'll stay with the Bible's description.

Was there really two of every animal in the whole entire world? Also, if all of creation was made in six days does that mean humans and dinosaurs lived together after all? I don't think that they meant literal twenty-four hour days there I was just wondering what the general consensus was for that question. Oh and why only promise to have one flood when the earth desperately needs it now?
I believe in the literal, 24 hour days. "“And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.” One evening + one morning = one day.

I also believe that there were a minimum of two of every animal on earth and that man and dinosaurs did co-exist for a time. The Bible speaks of the "behemoth" and the "leviathan." For the writers of the Bible to write about such beasts indicates that they witnessed them.

† תֵּבָה noun feminine ark (properly chest, box (compare Late Hebrew תֵּבָה); probably Egyptian loan-word from T-b-t, chest, coffin (Brugsch, ErmanZMG xlvi (1892), 123); > Babylonian word JenZA iv (1889), 272 f. HalJAssyr., 1888 {Nov.-Dec.}, 517)

A box has three dimensions, as was given for the ark. A ship shaped structure would necessarily have several to many more dimensions. The Wyoming had several more dimensions than the ark.

Stool - wooden seat with no back.
Stool - poop.

It can mean different things.

Ark in English has many meanings.

"noun: A large box with a flat lid.
noun: (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) Noah's ark: the ship built by Noah to save his family and a collection of animals from the deluge.
noun: Something affording protection; safety, shelter, refuge.
noun: (figuratively) The body as a vessel.
noun: A spacious type of boat with a flat bottom.
noun: (Judaism) The Ark of the Covenant.
noun: (Judaism) A decorated cabinet at the front of a synagogue, in which Torah scrolls are kept.
noun: (biblical) The boat built by the Biblical Noah to carry himself and the animals of the planet during the Flood.
noun: (biblical) The chest carried by the Hebrews containing the stone tablets carved with the Ten Commandments."

Some of these terms for "ark" mean a box. Some don't.

It can mean something affording protection. It can mean a vessel. It can mean the Ark of the Covenant.

To suggest that it CAN mean a box that it DOES mean a box is ridiculous and ignores how language works.

So, is that all you've got? Because if it is, then the Ark is NOT a box.

Forum List

Back