North Carolina approves amendment banning gay marriage

And yet still not ONE valid reason why homosexuals should not be able to marry. Not one. Shame on all of you.
Here are some....trivial reasons.

It requires the re-definition of other terms such as "aunt", "uncle", "married couple", "married" and possibly others.

It provides a way for one to mislead others (should they have need to) by insinuating that they are not homosexual.

To the vast majority of straight married people, it denigrates the word "marriage" and makes them no better than "those abominable gays and lesbians".

I suspect the third is not trivial to many, especially in the bible belt. So be it. It is still a reason for many people objecting.

You'll not find any objection to matching benefits for gay/lesbian couples from me. I think they should have all and equal rights regarding wills, conjugal visits at detention centers and hospitals, insurance, tax breaks and whatever else applies to man/woman couples (whether they were legally married by way of ceremony or common law). Just pick a different word to describe the relationship.

If you say it's the benefits you want, then what could possibly be wrong with making up a name for the union and going on about your business?

So far, I have not seen a single legitimate reason to claim a NEED to be called "married".

Spit it out!

I asked for valid reasons. Not trivial. Thanks for trying though.

Difference is AIDS is a self inflected disease caused by a life style sickle cell anemia is not.

Ok if it's self inflicted than you have nothing to worry about, right? So why not let them get married to each other. Since you're straight (presumably) and AIDS is self inflicted, unless you decide to be gay or give yourself AIDS (by your definition) than you have nothing to fear.

What if you're gay, get aids and then have sex with a woman?

What if you're straight get aids and give it to someone?

Liberty is an individual’s right to govern themselves – it’s free choice.

And it’s my personal view that if an action in no way infringes on the rights of other individuals within that society – NOT things like murder, stealing – it should not be governed. Because to govern it would only work to grow the power of the government unnecessarily, and would serve as a step towards the direction of “tyranny” where no personal liberties are allowed.

Willow, if you are in support of this this NC measure, you really need to re-examine yourself to determine where you fall on the political spectrum. This is a “left” piece of legislation, 100%.

explain why California and Ny are allowed to ban guns..

Willow, seriously?

Why do I have to explain why California and NY are allowed to ban guns? Can’t you infer from our conversation that I am likely highly opposed to that type of legislation, and it is exactly the thing I’m arguing against?

Or are you trying to use that as some sort of justification for what they did in NC?

Then I'll tell you why.. it's called States Rights.

Lesbians don't get aids. maybe he should ask himself why that is.

So are you cool with lesbians marrying each other then?

I'm on records as saying I don't care.. what i care about is States Rights the Constitution and the right to Vote.. all of which you would take away from me in a heartbeat.. so fuck ewe running.

So

lesbians marrying each = ok
gay men marrying each other = not ok

Is that correct?

They are not voting away liberty,, anyone who disagress with the voters of North Carolina can move to some place more to their liking. It has nothing to do with "Authoritarian Republican" asswipe. do you know who brought down the gay marriage issue in California? the black vote.. so then of course the liberals pitched their fit said they had "NO right to vote" and had the whole thing overturned.. Now all the black people who voted were disenfranchised. That's what's unconstitutional.

And it’s my personal view that if an action in no way infringes on the rights of other individuals within that society – NOT things like murder, stealing – it should not be governed. Because to govern it would only work to grow the power of the government unnecessarily, and would serve as a step towards the direction of “tyranny” where no personal liberties are allowed.

Willow, if you are in support of this this NC measure, you really need to re-examine yourself to determine where you fall on the political spectrum. This is a “left” piece of legislation, 100%.

So what's your point exactly?

When the list of wrongs gets long enough then all wrongs will finally make a right?

And yet still not ONE valid reason why homosexuals should not be able to marry. Not one. Shame on all of you.

What was the group that AIDS was found to have come from when it finally came to America?

Syphilis spread via heterosexual sex has killed millions. But yet heterosexuals were never denied legal protections.

Killing millions because of saw bone medicine more people were killed because of dumb doctors than the sickness.

Ok if it's self inflicted than you have nothing to worry about, right? So why not let them get married to each other. Since you're straight (presumably) and AIDS is self inflicted, unless you decide to be gay or give yourself AIDS (by your definition) than you have nothing to fear.

What if you're gay, get aids and then have sex with a woman?

What if you're straight get aids and give it to someone?

I'd blame the gay cause I got it from him.

What was the group that AIDS was found to have come from when it finally came to America?

Syphilis spread via heterosexual sex has killed millions. But yet heterosexuals were never denied legal protections.

Killing millions because of saw bone medicine more people were killed because of dumb doctors than the sickness.

Um no. Millions died because there was no cure for the disease.

Syphilis has killed many many more people than AIDS.

When the list of wrongs gets long enough then all wrongs will finally make a right?

Taking the right away to defend oneself is more of a Constitutional right than a right to marry. Thats the point.

Um no. Millions died because there was no cure for the disease.

Syphilis has killed many many more people than AIDS.

OH yell doctors were top of the line back in the 1800's weren't they?

Taking the right away to defend oneself is more of a Constitutional right than a right to marry. Thats the point.

So some rights are more important than others in your mind?

As long as you're not affected by a loss of liberty you don't care?

North Carolina approves a constitutional amendment to their state constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. Polls indicate that in heavily African-American counties, the vote went as much as 60% FOR THE AMENDMENT. I correctly heard this morning a commentator wondering how this will turn out, since these are two very basic Democratic constituencies and they are apparently at odds on this issue. I would just interject here that when asked if same-sex marriage is the same as their fight for civil rights, 65% of the African-American respondents answered that it was not.

I have said many times that Oklahoma has a similar constitutional amendment. I supported it, I voted for it, and I gave money to the campaign. In Oklahoma, the amendment was over-whelmingly approved. It has with stood several attempts to over turn it. I support each states RIGHT to decide on their own how their state will stand on this issue and I support that states RIGHT to choose its direction. As I support each states RIGHT to decide how it will stand on abortion.

I have read on other threads that people have said that the amendment is a reason why they will not come to Oklahoma. Now, there are around 30 states with such amendments. The right of a people to CHOOSE the direction of their government is a cornerstone of the constitution and the intricate relationship between the states and the federal government. We have for too long, been dictated to by a bunch of faceless beaurocrats living in a city so removed from our state that we are tired of it. IF you feel that you cannot come to Oklahoma because of this law (as in 30 other states), then PLEASE - STAY WHERE YOU ARE!

I wanted to also say, that simply because of a state constitutional amendment defining marriage, it does NOT give creedence to, nor does it in anyway advocate for actions or hostile words of any type against a same-sex couple. Regardless of our disagreement regarding this issue, citizens of this country have basic rights which may NOT be infringed upon. I will stand up vigorously for their right to live in peace and dignity...

I agree that people have a right to vote for whatever they want; that’s America. But, I will not sit here and keep quiet when I see people in Oklahoma, people in NC vote away their personal rights and freedom to choose.

To set in stone rigid social standards (such as defining marriage) is voting away personal liberties. It’s a LEFT way of thinking.

It’s the same as saying, “I don’t want to be able to choose who I can marry, I want INSTEAD the government to make that choice for me”. It's putting the collective choice over and beyond the choice of the individual, and quite frankly I believe it's anti-American!

Let me ask you a quick question (if you don’t mind), do you identify yourself as right leaning or left leaning?

Last edited:
So are you cool with lesbians marrying each other then?

I'm on records as saying I don't care.. what i care about is States Rights the Constitution and the right to Vote.. all of which you would take away from me in a heartbeat.. so fuck ewe running.

So

lesbians marrying each = ok
gay men marrying each other = not ok

Is that correct?

States Rights,, Voting Rights.. Constitution.. That is what is correct.

This report is from the CDC: In 2008, men who have sex with men (MSM) accounted for 63% of primary and secondary syphilis cases in the United States.

link: CDC - Sexually Transmitted Diseases - Gay and Bisexual Men's Health

Forum List

Back