Not perfect but a good start

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Five Obamacare Provisions To Be Thankful For | ThinkProgress

obamacare1.jpeg

After clearing significant hurdles over the past year — including repeated repeal votes in Congress, a Supreme Court challenge, and a presidential election — the future of President Obama’s landmark health reform law is finally secure. Now that it’s here to stay, Americans can expect to reap significant benefits as the Affordable Care Act continues to be gradually implemented over the next few years. But some important provisions of the health law have already gone into effect, helping improve coverage for millions of Amercians and significantly reduce the national uninsurance rate. Americans can be grateful for these five existing Obamacare provisions that are currently working to provide the following benefits for millions of people across the country:

Obamacare Lowered Uninsurance Rate, Census Finds | ThinkProgress

Thanks to Obamacare, the uninsured rate in the U.S. dropped in 2011 to 15.7 percent from 16.3 percent in 2010, and 1.4 million Americans have health insurance now who did not have coverage a year ago, according to data from the Census Bureau. 2011 was the first year in more than a decade in which the number of people with private health insurance remained steady. “Our main finding is coverage increased between 2010 and 2011,” said David Johnson, chief of the Census’s Chief, Social, Economic, and Housing Statistics Division.

Uninsured-rate-chart.jpg

Obamacare Improved Health Coverage In 20 States, Census Analysis Confirms | ThinkProgress

Recent census data revealed that, thanks to Obamacare, the uninsured rate in the U.S. dropped significantly from 2010 to 2011 in the largest decline the country has seen since 1999.

Hopefully, our congress will do with ObamaCare what they did with Medicare - use it as a place to start to build on. Medicare was a train wreck when it was voted into law and now operates within it's budget and provides care, just as it was intended. It should continue to do but only if congress allows it.

Cha-ching!

Clearly, the insurance industry has spare cash to throw around.

Cha-ching!

With 80% being mandated to be used for patient care and having to actively compete for business - not near as much.

Cha-ching!

With 80% being mandated to be used for patient care and having to actively compete for business - not near as much.

Any sensible business person will accept lower margins in exchange for guaranteed income. They're essentially converting their business model into that of a public utility. The uniform regulations protect them from meaningful competition and the mandates and subsidies keep the cash flowing. And government gets their cut. It's a win-win!

heres a good infographic:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZkk6ueZt-U]The YouToons Get Ready for Obamacare - YouTube[/ame]

And government gets their cut.

Govt always gets their cut but this is a new one for me. Where can I read that ACA pays off the government?

It sets them up for payoffs - Congress loves that shit. When corporate profits are a direct result of government policy, politicians are in the 'catbird seat'. The lobbyists will line up around the block for their 'attention'.

Last edited:
And government gets their cut.

Govt always gets their cut but this is a new one for me. Where can I read that ACA pays off the government?

It sets them up for payoffs - Congress loves that shit. When corporate profits are a direct result of government policy, politicians are in the 'catbird seat'. The lobbyists will line up around the block for their 'attention'.

So, are you saying that you just made up the part about ObamaCare giving government a cut?

Are you aware that lobbyists actually run congress and not the other way around? And, that it has been thus for a long long time.

In any event, can we just stick to facts? Making up stuff just muddies the water.

Thanks.

So, are you saying that you just made up the part about ObamaCare giving government a cut?

No, I'm saying, "It sets them up for payoffs - Congress loves that shit. When corporate profits are a direct result of government policy, politicians are in the 'catbird seat'. The lobbyists will line up around the block for their 'attention'."

Are you aware that lobbyists actually run congress and not the other way around? And, that it has been thus for a long long time.

No, our representatives run Congress. Most of them, however, are willing to serve the interests of lobbyists in exchange for their support. The more power they have to influence the profits of corporate interests, the more support they can demand. It's a fairly obvious dynamic.

Cha-ching!

Yep, just after they have paid out 80% of their premiums to the insured. They can then do whatever they want with the remaining 20%. Pay high salaries to executives, bribe elected officials to overturn Obamacare, hire lawyers to get around the requirements so they only have to insure healthy people without prior health conditions.

And don't get me wrong, I'm quite aware how much lobbyists influence Congress. But it's a symbiotic relationship that government encourages every bit as much as corporations do.

And don't get me wrong, I'm quite aware how much lobbyists influence Congress. But it's a symbiotic relationship that government encourages every bit as much as corporations do.

"influence"? :eusa_eh: Lobbyists "wrote" Cheney's energy Task Force bill. :lol:

Stop w/ the deflecting :eusa_hand:

Last edited:

"influence"? :eusa_eh: Lobbyists "wrote" Cheney's energy Task Force bill. :lol:

Stop w/ the deflecting :eusa_hand:

I'm not deflecting. I said I didn't know. I suspect you are right. I'm reasonably sure they wrote most of PPACA too. So what? Ultimately, Congress and the President are responsible for it becoming law.

Forum List

Back