Now it's a FELONY to write KKK on a window ledge!!!

Sadly, racism is a form of protected free speech, yes.
Is free speech racism? Not what I said at all.

That is exactly what you claimed. I support the 1st amendment, ergo you label me a racist. I mean, you already did since I don't support Obama, but I guess bitterly clinging to the constitution makes me a worse racist, right?

Maybe you ought to sharpen your word comprehension skills. I didn't bring Obama into the discussion - you did. I didn't make an accusation of racism based on your opinion of Obama, you did. And, I don't believe I ever said you were a racist (unless, of course you are - and that would be fine by me).

I have a feeling had he scratched anything other than KKK, say Asshole, he would not be charged with a Felony, so Uncensored kinda has a point here, and all the Libs arguing the dude really only got in trouble for Vandalism are not being honest either.

The crime he was charged with was defacing property, the hate crime enhancement is just an enhancement. You can't be charged with just a hate crime - it must be an enhancement to some underlying crime, like murder, assault, or in this case, destruction of property. Much like there are firearm's enhancements to other crimes - if you rob a convenience store and have a gun on you, even if you never draw it - they can up the charge/penalty.

I don't believe in 'hate' crime laws, but 2 years probation and time served seems like a reasonable punishment for the crime. On the other hand, having a felony on his record for life over this seems unreasonable to me.

But what the fuck ya gonna do, right? :dunno:

Finally - someone who thinks hate crime laws are just bad policy, instead of whining incorrectly about it being unconstitutional.

Another attack on free speech in america. Why wasn't Chris Matthews charged with a felony hate crime when he called white people crackers on national tv?

July 10, 2012 12:48PM

Student who scratched

A former Elmhurst College student who scratched “KKK” and a racial slur on a window ledge outside the room of an African-American dorm supervisor was sentenced Tuesday to two years of probation.

Myles Burton, 21, had faced up to five years in prison after being convicted in May of a felony hate crime for the November 2011 vandalism at the college’s Stanger Hall.

DuPage County Judge George Bakalis also ordered Burton to serve 90 days in jail, though he already had served that sentence while awaiting trial.

Prosecutors argued the Libertyville man had been drinking and was angry at a faculty member when he used a rock to scratch the initials and a slur into the window ledge of the 28-year-old dorm supervisor’s room.

Burton, who is appealing his felony conviction, has been expelled from the college

But it's fine for the Black Panther's to stand outside a polling place with billy clubs on election day intimidating white voters. Gotcha! Just wanted to be clear.

"deflection" much? :clap2:

Bullshit called, no response.

I win.

You are a legend in your own mind, PooperDupe...

http://www.usccr.gov/NBPH/USCCR_NBPP_report.pdf

It won't let me copy from a .pdf so you'll have to actually click the link, but here is what is said in the 2nd paragraph...
Pursuant to it's investigation, the commission has held 4 public hearings, taken several depositions and attempted several others.
ETA: This report is quite damning to the DoJ, I encourage everyone to click the link and see for themselves how Holder's DoJ works AGAINST equal justice under the law.

Does the pdf state merely that depositions were taken - which isn't in dispute - or does it back your claim that depositions of voters who claimed they were intimidated were taken? There has to be an actual victim for the crime of voter intimidation to have occurred. The report you gave doesn't say that anyone who voted or was trying to vote at that precint claimed to have been intimidated, does it?
in a ward where 118 white people were eligible to vote

You are a legend in your own mind, PooperDupe...

http://www.usccr.gov/NBPH/USCCR_NBPP_report.pdf

It won't let me copy from a .pdf so you'll have to actually click the link, but here is what is said in the 2nd paragraph...ETA: This report is quite damning to the DoJ, I encourage everyone to click the link and see for themselves how Holder's DoJ works AGAINST equal justice under the law.

Does the pdf state merely that depositions were taken - which isn't in dispute - or does it back your claim that depositions of voters who claimed they were intimidated were taken? There has to be an actual victim for the crime of voter intimidation to have occurred. The report you gave doesn't say that anyone who voted or was trying to vote at that precint claimed to have been intimidated, does it?

Do you have a complete sentence to offer?

Another attack on free speech in america. Why wasn't Chris Matthews charged with a felony hate crime when he called white people crackers on national tv?

July 10, 2012 12:48PM

Student who scratched

A former Elmhurst College student who scratched “KKK” and a racial slur on a window ledge outside the room of an African-American dorm supervisor was sentenced Tuesday to two years of probation.

Myles Burton, 21, had faced up to five years in prison after being convicted in May of a felony hate crime for the November 2011 vandalism at the college’s Stanger Hall.

DuPage County Judge George Bakalis also ordered Burton to serve 90 days in jail, though he already had served that sentence while awaiting trial.

Prosecutors argued the Libertyville man had been drinking and was angry at a faculty member when he used a rock to scratch the initials and a slur into the window ledge of the 28-year-old dorm supervisor’s room.

Burton, who is appealing his felony conviction, has been expelled from the college

But it's fine for the Black Panther's to stand outside a polling place with billy clubs on election day intimidating white voters. Gotcha! Just wanted to be clear.

Which white voters said they were intimidated?

Do you have a complete sentence to offer?
yes.

Sadly, racism is a form of protected free speech.

The felony charge in this case would suggest you are incorrect.

The felony charge actually proves the point that you are entitled to SAY what you want to say without fear of government interference. But, the 1st amendment doesn't give anyone the right to deface someone else's property in order to get the point across.

You defenders of justice would be righteously pissed off if I spray painted "Obama 2012" on your front doors in international orange. Would you still defend my right of free speech in that case? I'm banking on the fact that you wouldn't - even if you agreed with my point of view and choice of color.

So what makes scratching something equally offensive on someone else's property an act that ought to be protected? We have a law - true, it's not a guaranteed right, but a law nonetheless - that enhances vandalistic crimes when the motivation is purely racial. There is no constitutional protection from the law of the land.

The idiot listed in the OP's link got, arguably, less than he deserved - but deserved what he got no less.

[ But, the 1st amendment doesn't give anyone the right to deface someone else's property in order to get the point across.

No one said it did. EVeryone agrees this guy broke the law but he did not deserve a felony and 90 days in jail. A $50 fine would have been right.

Sadly, racism is a form of protected free speech.

The felony charge actually proves the point that you are entitled to SAY what you want to say without fear of government interference. But, the 1st amendment doesn't give anyone the right to deface someone else's property in order to get the point across.

You defenders of justice would be righteously pissed off if I spray painted "Obama 2012" on your front doors in international orange. Would you still defend my right of free speech in that case? I'm banking on the fact that you wouldn't - even if you agreed with my point of view and choice of color.

So what makes scratching something equally offensive on someone else's property an act that ought to be protected? We have a law - true, it's not a guaranteed right, but a law nonetheless - that enhances vandalistic crimes when the motivation is purely racial. There is no constitutional protection from the law of the land.

The idiot listed in the OP's link got, arguably, less than he deserved - but deserved what he got no less.

My argument is not about his guilt, that's a given, it's with the hate crimes legislation itself. A crime is a crime is a crime. Prison, or any other sentence, is punishment for a crime. What hate crimes laws do is criminalize THOUGHT, by punishing MOTIVE. That's not the kind of 'slippery slope' that I feel comfortable on.

And really, a FELONY? Y'all have lost your minds!

My argument is not about his guilt, that's a given, it's with the hate crimes legislation itself. A crime is a crime is a crime. Prison, or any other sentence, is punishment for a crime. What hate crimes laws do is criminalize THOUGHT, by punishing MOTIVE. That's not the kind of 'slippery slope' that I feel comfortable on.

And really, a FELONY? Y'all have lost your minds!

And yet, if you were to walk into your local gas station and say to the attendant "Give me the money", that's robbery. If you bring a gun to that party, it's armed robbery. It's the law's way of saying, don't steal. If you DO steal, don't bring a gun.

Thought and motive have EVERYTHING to do with the way that justice is handed out - which is how a 95 year old driver mistaking the brake for the accelerator can jump a sidewalk and plow into a crowd of people and only be charged with manslaughter instead of murder. As much as we'd like them to be, things aren't always black and white.

The guy in the link was called out by his bball coach as being racist. He acted out as a racist would. And now he's being punished for it - which happens to be a felony since it's governed under federal law. As someone once said, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time".

[ But, the 1st amendment doesn't give anyone the right to deface someone else's property in order to get the point across.

No one said it did. EVeryone agrees this guy broke the law but he did not deserve a felony and 90 days in jail. A $50 fine would have been right.

Then why don't you go stand in front of the Illinois Capitol building a light yourself on fire in protest?

What is it with inbred rednecks? Still trying to stir fear in the hearts of blacks with pathetic messages that bring back the memories of lynchings? Fuck these kids. It was a crime, and a crime based on racial hatred (motive). What a bunch of douche bags who want to frame this a a free speech issue. I tend to doubt you scum would give the same break to someone who screamed "Die for Allah" in one of those megachurches.

The good news is the racists are dying out. They're now a rarity which disgust almost everyone.

I disagree, I mean the right was screaming support and for freedom of speech and freedom of religion with the muslims when they wanted to build a mosque at "ground zero".....remember?

No?

The person who went to law school and who became an actual judge disagree's with your legal stance.

(I seriously doubt if you get what I am saying.)

The person who went to law school and who became an actual judge disagree's with your legal stance.

(I seriously doubt if you get what I am saying.)

So do the People of Illinois who wrote the law.

Its mindblowing to think that morons on a message board think their opinion on a case is more important than the jury, judge, and People.

Forum List

Back