Now with the Colorado ruling saying that religion can override public accommodation laws

That makes no sense.
If a news commentator has to announce that there has been a murder, that does not mean the commentator agrees with murder.
What you do as a business does not at all "express an opinion" at all, in any way.

But denying service does "express an opinion", and that is illegal.
That is deliberately trying to harm someone over their beliefs that you do not agree with.
Totally illegal coercion.
Where did you get your law degree?

GRAPHIC DESIGN is distinct from content.

If you were to create a pretty piece of stationary, that has nothing to do with whether I buy it to write things that you dislike on it. That's what is at stake here. She creates graphic designs, but now wants to dictate how others use it after they buy it, so she refuses to sell it to people who won't use it as she sees fit.
Not necessarily. Is the design of the Apple logo separate from the content? How about the American flag or the gay pride flag?

Oh yes they do. Listen to what the Republican candidates say about each other up to the end of the campaign and primaries.
I’ve never heard any other conservative say that Florida and Texas bills violate the first amendment.

I’ve heard tons of conservatives say that the government should put an end to social media “censorship” by compelling their speech.

Indeed it was.
Never was. The social media bans were always by social media companies making decisions for themselves and whether government can force them to promote speech on their platform they don’t like.

lol - see what I mean? "Conflict of rights". :p

In this thread there are two theoretical positions, and they're both valid - self consistent and correct.

But there's also a reality, which suggests a middle ground. In the real world, the truth is, you can't open your front door without encountering all different kinds of people. So yeah, it's your right to isolate, but then you become like a Howard Hughes or something, y'know, scared to shake anyone's hand.

Never was. The social media bans were always by social media companies making decisions for themselves and whether government can force them to promote speech on their platform they don’t like.
Allow =/= promote. If they can control the content, they should be open to lawsuits from families of teens bullied into committing suicide.

Rubbish. Typical LibProg shopworn counterpointing.

There is no large-scale broadly-recognized religion on earth whose texts nor traditional teachings stipulate that it is a Sin to be Black.

There are, however, three (3) Abrahamic religions ( Judaism, Christianity and Islam) that hold that homosexuality is a Sin - an abomination before God, Man and Nature.

Unless the employer is a hyper-traditionalist Muslim that's not going to happen either.

As many as infringe upon genuinely held and commonly accepted religious perspectives on decency and sin and debauchery?

Wrong.
The Abrahamic religions teach that it is up to God to punish sins, and that the laws of man are only supposed to be in defense of individual rights.
The Abrahamic religions teach that it is a sin to try to punish homosexuality.
It is the mob mentality that get it wrong.
For example, many people in Islamic countries believe adulterers are supposed to be stoned, and that is totally false. Mohammad forbid stoning.

Am I saying that most people do not even know the religion they claim to belong to?
Absolutely.
Almost no one knows anything at all about any religion.

I’ve never heard any other conservative say that Florida and Texas bills violate the first amendment.

I’ve heard tons of conservatives say that the government should put an end to social media “censorship” by compelling their speech.
Broaden your information gathering.

Allow =/= promote. If they can control the content, they should be open to lawsuits from families of teens bullied into committing suicide.
Again, civil liability has nothing to do with it.

Put another way, 3030 Creative does not allow gay content on their websites.

SCOTUS decided that they can’t choose not to allow that.

How long will it be before some business refuses service to black people because they say it's against the owner's religion?

How long before an employer gets to refuse to hire a woman because the business owner's religious belief is that a woman should be at home serving her husband and raising children?

And how many other laws will get to be ignored on the basis of a religious claim?
It worked for Muslims in MI. refusing to fly pride flags on public property. Did you have anything to say about that?

Nope. Employers can’t force people to violate their religious beliefs.

The only way an employer could try to force people to violate their religious beliefs is if they were threatening to fire them if they did not participate in gay sex.

Even working on Sundays.
If you are not supposed to work on Sunday, that is only if it is your choice.
If your employer is forcing it, then it is not a sin at all to work on Sundays.

Imagine if a Hebrew ship was at sea in the Mediterranean, and it becomes Saturday.
Does that mean all the sailors can't work?
Of course not.
It is a suggestion, not a dictate.

Nope. Employers can’t force people to violate their religious beliefs.

Sure then can, like working on the Sabbath.
It is not a dictate.
You are not committing a sin at all in any way, if you work on the Sabbath under employer orders.

Agree. Thanks for agreeing that state laws can't override the Constitution. I think you're finally getting it.

Except for the 14th amendment, all the Constitution does really is divide jurisdiction between states and the feds.
And what the 14th amendment says is that individual rights override both state and federal legislation.

That should be obvious since the Constitution is so very brief, and individual rights are infinite.

Sure then can, like working on the Sabbath.
It is not a dictate.
You are not committing a sin at all in any way, if you work on the Sabbath under employer orders.
Some Christians believe it is a sin. Some Christians are pacifist and refuse military service. Some Christians don't drink alcohol and some do. Christianity has many sects with different beliefs.

Except for the 14th amendment, all the Constitution does really is divide jurisdiction between states and the feds.
And what the 14th amendment says is that individual rights override both state and federal legislation.

That should be obvious since the Constitution is so very brief, and individual rights are infinite.
Show me in the 14th amendment what you're referring to.

Forum List

Back