Nurture your inner slob

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Evangelist reaching out to the 'unchurched'

His approach to prayer and contemplation was emphasized in his book Do Nothing To Change Your Life (2007) in which he challenged the notion that meaning and value can only be found in activity and productivity.

Instead, he offered a blunt alternative.

"Switch off the TV," he wrote, "put this book down; shut your eyes; breathe deeply; do nothing but listen to the things you can't hear. Nurture your inner slob. You might even find you begin to pray - by enjoying the intimacy of God's presence and the fragile beauty of each passing moment."

Sound advice from the new Archbishop of York. He is described as an Evangelist which in the US has dark connotations. However in the UK it just means guitars and tambourines. I quite like his philosophy and I think he will do very well.

Well, just looking around my kitchen, I must have mistakenly nurtured my outer slob.

I never do this. I am constantly writing something or reading something.

His approach to prayer and contemplation was emphasized in his book Do Nothing To Change Your Life (2007) in which he challenged the notion that meaning and value can only be found in activity and productivity.

"Switch off the TV," he wrote, "put this book down; shut your eyes; breathe deeply; do nothing but listen to the things you can't hear. Nurture your inner slob. You might even find you begin to pray - by enjoying the intimacy of God's presence and the fragile beauty of each passing moment."

Sound advice from the new Archbishop of York. He is described as an Evangelist which in the US has dark connotations. However in the UK it just means guitars and tambourines. I quite like his philosophy and I think he will do very well.

I doubt if anyone is at all surprised to see you favoring a lazy, do-nothing philosophy. That's pretty much the definition of a taker, like you, who prefers to contribute nothing at all to society, and to live on the fruits of other people's labor.

It's not for me, though. I've been sidelined for the past three months, due to an at-work injury. Being idle and unproductive is very bad for my mental health as well as my physical health, and I am eager to reach the point where I am able to return to work, building great things. I'm meant to be a maker, and being forced to be an unproductive taker like you—even temporarily—is just not good for me at all. I guess that's the difference between a real man, and a late-middle-aged boy who never properly grew up. What an astonishing difference between two nominally-adult male humans at almost exactly the same age. Too bad I can't give my injury and its aftermath over to you, so that I can return sooner to being a worthwhile, productive worker, while you sit around just watching television and playing on the Internet all day as you surely do anyway even without an injury to use as an excuse for doing nothing better with your life.

20190906_131914_Ankle0.jpg
20190906_132042_Ankle1.jpg
20190906_132458_Leg0.jpg

Last edited:

I doubt if anyone is at all surprised to see you favoring a lazy, do-nothing philosophy. That's pretty much the definition of a taker, like you, who prefers to contribute nothing at all to society, and to live on the fruits of other people's labor.

It's not for me, though. I've been sidelined for the past three months, due to an at-work injury. Being idle and unproductive is very bad for my mental health as well as my physical health, and I am eager to reach the point where I am able to return to work, building great things. I'm meant to be a maker, and being forced to be an unproductive taker like you—even temporarily—is just not good for me at all. I guess that's the difference between a real man, and a late-middle-aged boy who never properly grew up. What an astonishing difference between two nominally-adult male humans at almost exactly the same age. Too bad I can't give my injury and its aftermath over to you, so that I can return sooner to being a worthwhile, productive worker, while you sit around just watching television and playing on the Internet all day as you surely do anyway even without an injury to use as an excuse for doing nothing better with your life.

View attachment 295292 View attachment 295293 View attachment 295294
Im sorry for your injury Bob. I haven't worked myself since late September and I know what a strain that can be. Heres hoping for a better 2020 for all of us.

Forum List

Back