NY Judge Claimed MAL is Worth ~$18 Million - Everything the Judge Said in His Ruling Is a Complete Lie

Apparently you don't understand the difference between property "Assessments" vs. property "appraisals".

Assessment by government officials is only about taxes, and making things fair. Or at least trying to.

Trumps problem is that he had two "appraisal/assessment" values.
A big one, that he used for bank loans, insurance or as collateral, and a small one, when it came to paying property taxes, based on the property value.

Because the property is not the same as the business.
A commercial realestate appraisal is broken into 3 parts... land value, improvement value and financial value, and then its all added up and you get the "total value".

A big one, that he used for bank loans, insurance or as collateral, and a small one, when it came to paying property taxes, based on the property value.
Trump has no say over who is hired to do the appraisal and he isnt even allowed to talk to the appraisers during the appraisal. Its all done by the bank and its kept secret from the person trying to get the loan.

Appraisers are intentionally sneaky when they go to the property. They never announce themselves. They just show up, take some quick pictures and then they get out of there before anyone comes asking questions.

A commercial realestate appraisal is broken into 3 parts... land value, improvement value and financial value, and then its all added up and you get the "total value".
I will say that Mar a Lago is probably the weakest of all the arguments in the decision. Trump valued it at like $300 million on his forms, which doesn't seem all that ridiculous if you consider his operating income is probably in the ballpark of $10 million a year and other people have valued it somewhat similar. Part of the problem is that Trump's argument in court was laughable and put the value at $1.5 billion, which the judge did not take seriously.

The rest of the decision has far more egregious differences where Trump's own valuations were double or triple that of the commercial real estate appraisals that they had gotten at the same time. That or Trump's argument about their valuations assumed things which weren't currently true but they hoped could be true, such as the rent stabilized apartments could be non-rent stabilize apartments sometime in the future, or his approval to build 1500 homes could become 2500 homes sometime in the future.

And by far the most egregious lie in my opinion is that his apartment was 30,000 square feet when it was actually 10,000 square feet. There's simply no excuse for that.

Trump has no say over who is hired to do the appraisal and he isnt even allowed to talk to the appraisers during the appraisal. Its all done by the bank and its kept secret from the person trying to get the loan.
That goes for small appraisals, where they can use the similar property rules to determine a likely value. But on unique properties, and high value properties, they defer to the owners expert valuations.

Trump may have a say.
Based on the appraisal, it's almost like he did know/pick the appraiser.
Why were there two different appraisals?
And starkly different?
One for the county and one for a bank?
Appraisers are intentionally sneaky when they go to the property. They never announce themselves. They just show up, take some quick pictures and then they get out of there before anyone comes asking questions.
In most circumstances, on the level..........Correct.

That goes for small appraisals, where they can use the similar property rules to determine a likely value. But on unique properties, and high value properties, they defer to the owners expert valuations.
There arent any unique properties. You always have other golf courses to base your "comparison appraisal" off of. Even if there wasnt another club quite like Mara Lago (which happens sometimes in appraisals), you can still base it off of other high end clubs (like a yacht club).

So? I paid taxes on my home at one rate and sold it for a much higher rate. That is normal, Canuck! That is the difference in assessment and appraisal.

Trump may have a say.
Based on the appraisal, it's almost like he did know/pick the appraiser.
Why were there two different appraisals?
And starkly different?
One for the county and one for a bank?

In most circumstances, on the level..........Correct.
I dont know the details of this case enough to give you a good answer. I dont know who hired the appraisers both times, but i assure you that the banks appraisal was not tainted by Trump. Banks arent stupid with their money, so they make sure that they are getting accurate numbers.

So? I paid taxes on my home at one rate and sold it for a much higher rate. That is normal, Canuck! That is the difference in assessment and appraisal.
Tax appraisers are usually spot on when it comes to land values, but they are always WAAAY under when it comes to the improvement value. Tax assessors arent trained to do improvement values, nor do they have time to do an effective impovement appraisal of every structure in the US, but land values are simple as hell to determine.

Exactly. Example given, is this home in the tremendous city of Hermitage.

The assessed value given by the Mercer Assessment Office is $22,050. The price asked for the property is $220,000. But that doesn't mean that its grossly undertaxed, because the question is how the assessment lines up with other properties on the street and in the neighborhood which would determine if its underassessed , on target or even overassessed.

I dont know the details of this case enough to give you a good answer. I dont know who hired the appraisers both times, but i assure you that the banks appraisal was not tainted by Trump. Banks arent stupid with their money, so they make sure that they are getting accurate numbers.
That's what I would have thought too.
Then there IS the discrepancy in valuation/ appraisals.

How can it only be worth 20 million when the membership fee is $200,000 and an annual fee of $20,000? That kind of annual income will make any appraisal skyrocket. :cuckoo:
trump claiming that it was only worth that $18 mil in a financial disclosure document sent to the appraiser in writing is the fraud.

It's really not about tax appraisals and more about Statements of Financial Condition which he submitted to banks when he asks for loans. Someone showing higher asset value and higher liquidity would get more favorable terms.

He dramatically overvalued his assets and liquidity on these forms to get benefits from banks. That's fraud.

Exactly. Example given, is this home in the tremendous city of Hermitage.

The assessed value given by the Mercer Assessment Office is $22,050. The price asked for the property is $220,000. But that doesn't mean that its grossly undertaxed, because the question is how the assessment lines up with other properties on the street and in the neighborhood which would determine if its underassessed , on target or even overassessed.

what other Resorts like and equal to Mara Lago are on his street or in his neighborhood?

trump claiming that it was only worth that $18 mil in a financial disclosure document sent to the appraiser in writing is the fraud.

Appraisers from banks and insurance companies don't just ask for the number and take your word for it you know. The $18 M figure may have been the tax assessment, which may be an accurate number and easily checked as well by the bank.

That's what I would have thought too.
Then there IS the discrepancy in valuation/ appraisals.
There shouldnt be massive discrepencies between appraisals. If there is, one of the appraisals is obviously wrong.

Do you have a link for this? Im not doubting your claim, but i cant give you a good answer without seeing some more details about it.

I thought the claim was that Trump was OVER valuing his company, not under valuing it.

Forum List

Back