NYT: Trump Got Everything Out of NATO Obama Asked For

He has no choice but to play hardball, these countries did it to themselves, living high off the hog...the American taxpayer. They yell and scream that Russia is a threat, but they don't pay their share for defense.

I agree with most of his tactics, though in regards to trade, I think he has to bump it up a notch if he really wants results from Canada and the EU. He's doing fine on China, hitting them hard and they were foolish to try to get into a pissing contest when they are milking the U.S for $600B a year. If they were smart, they would have quietly accepted the initial tariffs, but they poked America, now they are facing $200B+ more! That's Trump style and it works when you have nothing to lose and so much to gain by going harder. The message is "don't play games, we both know what is going on, if you try to harm us even further, you will get hit harder".

I still say if he wants to put an end to all trade abuses he has to hit cars with a tariff. I know for sure, within days Canada would get serious about NAFTA, the EU would alter their barriers overnight. The Canadian independent economist estimate 160k job losses (most would be going back to America) and serious consequences.

The problem is the pushback and fear mongering by the auto companies. Trump is going to have to confront this at some point or another, as the EU will not give in with just a steel tariff. If the car companies complain and threaten job losses, Trump can negotiate with Japanese companies to move to the U.S and compete for marketshare. These are all multi-national corporations, they all have to compete in the same manner. The U.S has lost too much to foreign nations in the race to the bottom.

He has no choice but to play hardball, these countries did it to themselves, living high off the hog...the American taxpayer. They yell and scream that Russia is a threat, but they don't pay their share for defense.

I agree with most of his tactics, though in regards to trade, I think he has to bump it up a notch if he really wants results from Canada and the EU. He's doing fine on China, hitting them hard and they were foolish to try to get into a pissing contest when they are milking the U.S for $600B a year. If they were smart, they would have quietly accepted the initial tariffs, but they poked America, now they are facing $200B+ more! That's Trump style and it works when you have nothing to lose and so much to gain by going harder. The message is "don't play games, we both know what is going on, if you try to harm us even further, you will get hit harder".

I still say if he wants to put an end to all trade abuses he has to hit cars with a tariff. I know for sure, within days Canada would get serious about NAFTA, the EU would alter their barriers overnight. The Canadian independent economist estimate 160k job losses (most would be going back to America) and serious consequences.

The problem is the pushback and fear mongering by the auto companies. Trump is going to have to confront this at some point or another, as the EU will not give in with just a steel tariff. If the car companies complain and threaten job losses, Trump can negotiate with Japanese companies to move to the U.S and compete for marketshare. These are all multi-national corporations, they all have to compete in the same manner. The U.S has lost too much to foreign nations in the race to the bottom.
Toyota is here making the best damn cars in the world and hiring Americans to do it!

Forum List

Back