Obama celebrates Ramadan: 'Islam has contributed to the character' of US

Desperado

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2012
President Obama late Thursday celebrated Ramadan with a traditional dinner in the State Dining Room, saying that throughout the nation's history, “Islam has contributed to the character of our country.”

I think Obama is right and let's start naming things Islam has contributed to the US...
1. Homeland Security
2. Naked Body Airport Scanners
3. Removing your belts, jackets and shoes before getting on a plane
4. Having your wife or girlfriend's purse searched before going into a stadium.
the list goes on......

Obama celebrates Ramadan: 'Islam has contributed to the character' of US - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Whether is political correctness or sheer stupidity from Obama and his administration we'll never know....but what we do know is that this is not the time to stand with Muslims but it is a time to call for Muslims to leave behind centuries of violence and join the civilized 21st century.

President Obama late Thursday celebrated Ramadan with a traditional dinner in the State Dining Room, saying that throughout the nation's history, “Islam has contributed to the character of our country.”

I think Obama is right and let's start naming things Islam has contributed to the US...
1. Homeland Security
the list goes on......

Obama celebrates Ramadan: 'Islam has contributed to the character' of US - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

I am pissed because I have my man-purse searched wherever I go...:doubt:

1. Homeland Security
the list goes on......

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.----Barack Obama

:bowdown: Yeahsa, yeahsa, Master. But...but...you can't fool all the people all the time. See ya at midterms....

Whether is political correctness or sheer stupidity from Obama and his administration we'll never know....but what we do know is that this is not the time to stand with Muslims but it is a time to call for Muslims to leave behind centuries of violence and join the civilized 21st century.

Of course Obama was not the first president to respect the tradition of Ramadan with an Iftar at the White House. Thomas Jefferson was and it was "on December 9, 1805, and Jefferson’s guest was Sidi Soliman Mellimelli, an envoy from the bey (chieftain) of Tunis who spent six months in Washington. The context of Mellimelli’s visit to the United States was a tense dispute over piracy on American merchant vessels by the Barbary states and the capture of Tunisian vessels trying to run an American blockade of Tripoli."

Point is there was always some controversy with this group and non of it good.Thomas Jefferson?s Iftar (see also, America and the Barbary Pirates: An International Battle Against an Unconventional Foe The Thomas Jefferson Papers - America and the Barbary Pirates - (American Memory from the Library of Congress))

Also this clearly proves where Obama's sentiment lies, Can you imagine him for example symbolically celebrating Easter with Roman Catholics or Passover with the Jewish people?

The Mind Behind Obama's Ramadan Dinner: George W. Bush

Is the White House dinner tonight celebrating Ramadan and honoring the contributions of American Muslims the latest exhibit in President Obama's charm offensive toward the global Islamic community?

Sure, but it wasn't Obama's idea. Turns out that the Ramadan dinner was an innovation of George W. Bush, who hosted one every year he was in office and who also used the event to recognize the contributions of American Muslims.

Check out this Voice of America piece on Bush's final iftar, the nightly dinner at which Muslims break their Ramadan fast, in 2008:

This was the president's 8th Iftaar dinner in eight years at the White House. Mr. Bush gave thanks for the many ways that Muslim Americans enrich the lives of all Americans.

"One of the great strengths of our nation is its religious diversity. Americans practice many different faiths. We all share a belief in the right to worship freely. We reject bigotry in all its forms. And over the past eight years, my administration has been proud to work closely with Muslim Americans to promote justice and tolerance of all faiths," he said".

The Mind Behind Obama's Ramadan Dinner: George W. Bush - God & Country (usnews.com)

Did you know that George W. Bush celebrated 8 Ramadan dinners in the White House? - Yahoo! Answers

Did you know that George W. Bush celebrated 8 Ramadan dinners in the White House?
So, if I was a right-winger I would be telling you all that George W. Bush is a secret muslim and a supporter of terrorists, right? :)

"The dinner follows in the tradition of former President George W. Bush, who held eight Ramadan dinners in office to stress that America’s war with violent extremists was not a war with Islam.

Did you know that George W. Bush celebrated 8 Ramadan dinners in the White House? - Yahoo! Answers

Did you know that George W. Bush celebrated 8 Ramadan dinners in the White House?
So, if I was a right-winger I would be telling you all that George W. Bush is a secret muslim and a supporter of terrorists, right? :)

"The dinner follows in the tradition of former President George W. Bush, who held eight Ramadan dinners in office to stress that America’s war with violent extremists was not a war with Islam.

George Bush certainly did not appear so sympathetic to Muslims as does Obama, and you can be absolutely certain that the only reason and motivation for this Ramadan gesture was political unlike Obama who has plainly shown his partisanship towards Muslims.

To compare Bush with Obama is ludicrous.

While I agree with the overall message, the probable inclusion of smug superiority is hypocritical.

George Bush certainly did not appear so sympathetic to Muslims as does Obama, and you can be absolutely certain that the only reason and motivation for this Ramadan gesture was political unlike Obama who has plainly shown his partisanship towards Muslims.

I see cons compare them often on here ... saying how alike their methods are.

You shouldn't regard muslims so negatively. They're just people like you and all of us.

You are assuming 1 billion people are violent heathens. Nice.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

I agree you can't compare them. Bush and the Saudi royals were bffs.

1. Homeland Security
the list goes on......

Of course...who else will run our 7/11s?

Contributions such as 9/11, Fort Hood shooting and the Boston Marathon bombing.

You are assuming 1 billion people are violent heathens. Nice.

Some people have their heads stuck in the sand and are unable to see the danger that Islam poses to the Western world!

Secular and ordinary Muslims may have different philosophies, but fundamental Islam is creating immense problems for the whole world. Surely you must be knowledgeable enough to realize this fact.

Forum List

Back