Obama Ditches Thatcher Funeral

One more time. Obama had informed Thatcher's funeral planners that he was unable to attend BEFORE the bombing.

The snub is not Obama not attending. The snub was that Obama did not send a representative from his current Administration.

This move was classless and deliberate.
George Shultz and James Baker were the official U.S. representatives.

Dick Cheney and Henry Kissinger were also there, but not representing the U.S.

Cheney and Kissinger were invited.

Obama's actions are considered a snub because he sent no high ranking officials from his administration.

Hey they recognized the direct insult in Britain. The family and the funeral planners expressed their dismay at the snub.

Now I consider his action a downright insult and entirely undiplomatic and frankly low class.

I'm not alone. This is not imaginary; it's very real and his actions are very bad form.

Obama's snub to Thatcher: President won't send envoy to funeral - and leaves it to her old allies from the Reagan era

President Obama made decision not to send a member of his administration before yesterday's bombings in Boston

Instead, Reagan's former Secretary of State George Shultz, a key ally of Baroness Thatcher, will attend

Leaders from all over the world will be in attendance at the large-scale commemoration on Wednesday

Friends and allies of Baroness Thatcher expressed 'surprise and disappointment' last night as it emerged President Obama is not planning to send any serving member of his administration to her funeral.

Whitehall sources have revealed that the US delegation at tomorrow's service in St Paul's Cathedral will be led by two Reagan era secretaries of state: James Baker and George Shultz.

Though President Obama himself had not been expected to attend, there had been speculation that he would be represented either by Vice President Joe Biden or wife Michelle.

However, the Obama administration had said it would not be attending Thatcher's funeral before the Boston bombings.

The Queen's decision to attend Lady Thatcher's funeral has effectively elevated it to a state occasion unprecedented for a political figure in Britain since the death of Sir Winston Churchill in 1965.

Other world leaders, including Canada's Stephen Harper, Mario Monti of Italy and Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk, are attending the service in person

Margaret Thatcher funeral: President Obama won't send envoy - and leaves it to her old allies from Reagan era | Mail Online

And don't take the experienced Brits for fools. They understood this clearly for what it was.

An insult.

Former defence secretary Dr Liam Fox, Lady Thatcher's closest ally in modern-day politics, said:

'I think it would be both surprising and disappointing if after President Obama's fulsome tribute to Lady Thatcher, the American administration did not send a senior serving member to represent them.'

:eusa_whistle: This gentleman nails Obama's ass to the wall. These men aren't idiots.

Sir Gerald Howarth, chairman of the Thatcherite Conservative Way Forward group of MPs and peers, said:

'The bonds forged between the UK and the US through Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher was instrumental in ending the Cold War and liberating millions of people.

'That the present administration feels unable to be represented as the world marks the extraordinary contribution Margaret Thatcher made will be a source of disappointment to those who served with her in that great endeavour.'

:clap2:

Margaret Thatcher funeral: President Obama won't send envoy - and leaves it to her old allies from Reagan era | Mail Online

Last edited:
If the British really wanted Obama to attend, they should have flown in Beyonce and JayZ to headline the ceremony.

IOW, Lakhota thinks other people being tacky is an excuse for The President of the United States to be tacky.

Thanks for clearing that up!

One more time. Obama had informed Thatcher's funeral planners that he was unable to attend BEFORE the bombing.

The snub is not Obama not attending. The snub was that Obama did not send a representative from his current Administration.

This move was classless and deliberate.
George Shultz and James Baker were the official U.S. representatives.

Dick Cheney and Henry Kissinger were also there, but not representing the U.S.

Cheney and Kissinger were invited.

Obama's actions are considered a snub because he sent no high ranking officials from his administration.

Hey they recognized the direct insult in Britain. The family and the funeral planners expressed their dismay at the snub.

Now I consider his action a downright insult and entirely undiplomatic and frankly low class.

I'm not alone. This is not imaginary; it's very real and his actions are very bad form.

Obama's snub to Thatcher: President won't send envoy to funeral - and leaves it to her old allies from the Reagan era

President Obama made decision not to send a member of his administration before yesterday's bombings in Boston

Instead, Reagan's former Secretary of State George Shultz, a key ally of Baroness Thatcher, will attend

Leaders from all over the world will be in attendance at the large-scale commemoration on Wednesday

Friends and allies of Baroness Thatcher expressed 'surprise and disappointment' last night as it emerged President Obama is not planning to send any serving member of his administration to her funeral.

Whitehall sources have revealed that the US delegation at tomorrow's service in St Paul's Cathedral will be led by two Reagan era secretaries of state: James Baker and George Shultz.

Though President Obama himself had not been expected to attend, there had been speculation that he would be represented either by Vice President Joe Biden or wife Michelle.

However, the Obama administration had said it would not be attending Thatcher's funeral before the Boston bombings.

The Queen's decision to attend Lady Thatcher's funeral has effectively elevated it to a state occasion unprecedented for a political figure in Britain since the death of Sir Winston Churchill in 1965.

Other world leaders, including Canada's Stephen Harper, Mario Monti of Italy and Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk, are attending the service in person

Who would you have been happy to see go?

I put this up for you last night. You must have missed it. :)

Margaret Thatcher’s hometown to put up statue of controversial former PM

Paul Waldie

The Globe and Mail

Last updated Monday, Apr. 08 2013, 10:29 AM EDT

After weeks of contentious debate, Margaret Thatcher’s home town of Grantham has decided to put up a statue of the former prime minister.

The town’s volunteer-run museum announced plans Saturday to raise $300,000 for the commissioning of a statue.

“Whether you agree with her politics or not, she remains one of Grantham’s most famous exports, and one which we at Grantham Museum think should be recognised,” the museum said in a statement announcing the campaign.

“The Museum is confident that this project will be a huge success, and is hoping that endorsements and donations will come from not only the local community but also international support from those who loved and respected our Iron Lady.”

Margaret Thatcher?s hometown to put up statue of controversial former PM - The Globe and Mail[/B]

IOW, Lakhota thinks other people being tacky is an excuse for The President of the United States to be tacky.

Why does her funeral deserve a high ranking administration official?

Is the Left supposed to drink the kool-aid and play along with your delusions of her greatness?

She was a polarizing PM who was hated by half of her own country. She did nothing that benefited the United States. She did restore some British pride amongst the half who loved her. Jolly good for her!

And here's my other response to you last night.

I'm so glad to help you out with your question. And never forget Lakhota that for a woman at that time, she didn't just break thru the "glass ceiling".

Thatcher smashed it to smithereens.

:eusa_angel:

8 April 2013 Last updated at 13:11 ET

Margaret Thatcher tributes from home town of Grantham
By Caroline Lowbridge BBC News

From the article:

Grantham and Stamford MP Nick Boles said she continues to divide opinion among people in Grantham, describing her as "a bit like Marmite".

"You either love her or hate her, but I think we are just beginning to enter a time when people are beginning to recognise it was a remarkable achievement, not just because she was a woman," said the Conservative MP.

He added: "Margaret Thatcher was one of the most extraordinary women in the history of these islands and Grantham can be very proud to have been the place where she was born and went to school.

"Her towering achievements will never be forgotten."

A spokesman for Thatchers Hair Salon, part of Brick Kiln Place extra care housing complex in Grantham, said she was "a Lincolnshire icon who will be greatly missed".

"Margaret Thatcher will be fondly remembered, particularly for her strong leadership, courage and determination which successfully returned the Falkland Islands to British control following the Argentine invasion in 1982," said the spokesman.

BBC News - Margaret Thatcher tributes from home town of Grantham

I think it's pretty shameful that the President, or at the least, the Vice-President, didn't attend Margaret Thatcher's funeral.

Is the Left supposed to drink the kool-aid and play along with your delusions of her greatness?

She was a polarizing PM who was hated by half of her own country. She did nothing that benefited the United States. She did restore some British pride amongst the half who loved her. Jolly good for her!

I'll ask this again. How often do your kids practice nuclear bomb drills in school now?

Wait, no one wants to answer that, so I will.

Never

Thank you Mr. Reagan and Lady Thatcher, my life is better now because you two understood this important issue.

That IS why we should have sent a high ranking official to her funeral

They changed the world.

Prime Minister Thatcher won 3 consecutive terms. From 1979 to 1990 she was Prime Minister.

The first woman Prime Minister of Britain. She was and is very popular. Only among the far left whackos is she is despised.

And whether you like this Prime Minister or not is not the issue.

America is allied with Britain. Don't you understand that?

Has been for eons. It was disrespectful not to honor that relationship by sending some one with stature within the current Obama administration.

Hated so was she? Really? Oh I forgot all the libs on this board get their data from Huffpo and MSNBC.

Strictly speaking, their names weren’t on the guest list. There were no celebrated faces among them, and certainly no dignitaries or royalty.

But yesterday, in a swathe that stretched nearly three miles through London, the ordinary people of Middle England turned out in their tens of thousands for Margaret Hilda Thatcher.

article-2310745-1956AF13000005DC-393_634x515.jpg

Tens of thousands lined the route.

article-2310745-19564A80000005DC-870_634x413.jpg

One middle-aged woman held up a placard. ‘Thank you Mrs Thatcher’ was all it said.

Indeed, by 10am there was hardly a square foot remaining on which to stand, nor a single piece of street furniture to climb on.

They were seven to ten deep in places and shoulder to shoulder as far as you could see. Others opted for a view from the top of office blocks.

article-2310745-19581F21000005DC-317_634x532.jpg

One group of veteran paratroopers who fought in the Falklands stood to attention and saluted.

Former lance corporal Mark Bonar Jones, 51, recalled those who lost their lives in 1982 and told me: ‘She put the Great back in Great Britain at a time when it was desperately needed.’

Beside him Captain Bob Darby, 63, said of the protesters: ‘They have a right to protest. That’s democracy … and that was the reason we went to war when the islands were taken over by a fascist regime.

‘If it wasn’t for Margaret Thatcher, they’d all be living under a different government now.’

Margaret Thatcher: The ordinary people of Middle England who turned out for the former Prime Minister's funeral | Mail Online

Why won't her hometown honor her?

We're hitting a "put down the bong Lakhota" moment here. :lol:

Thatcher's home town has honored her and they are going to put a stature for her.

I've put up the information in four different posts to you.

I'll ask this again. How often do your kids practice nuclear bomb drills in school now?

Never

Thank you Mr. Reagan and Lady Thatcher, my life is better now because you two understood this important issue.

They changed the world.

Along with Walesa (who attended her funeral) and the Pope. They did all change the world.

Together they were giants of freedom.

Amazing at how small minded liberals can be, that they refuse to accept this truth.

Walesa, Tusk, Sikorski, Rostowski attend Thatcher funeral
17.04.2013 11:00

Lech Walesa, Prime Minister Tusk plus Poland's finance and foreign ministers have been attending Lady Margaret Thatcher's funeral service at St Paul's Cathedral in London.

874740fd-64f6-4c8e-bab6-5888f852e008.file

Solidarity leader and president of Poland, plus Donald Tusk and Finance Minister Jacek Rostowski and Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski were among 2,300 people from 170 countries attending the funeral of the former British prime minister, amid tight security in the UK capital.

Lady Thatcher was British prime minister from 1979 to 1990 and died on April 8 at the age of 87.

Foreign Minister Sikorski, who was a political refugee in the 1980s in Britain, wrote in the Daily Telegraph last week that, “Mrs Thatcher was a moral inspiration in the struggle to free Poland from communism and domination by the Soviet Union.”

Rest of article at link:

Walesa, Tusk, Sikorski, Rostowski attend Thatcher funeral - Thenews.pl :: News from Poland

Never

They changed the world.
:lol:

What flavor is your Kool-Aid?

Hated so was she? Really? Oh I forgot all the libs on this board get their data from Huffpo and MSNBC.

Strictly speaking, their names weren’t on the guest list. There were no celebrated faces among them, and certainly no dignitaries or royalty.

But yesterday, in a swathe that stretched nearly three miles through London, the ordinary people of Middle England turned out in their tens of thousands for Margaret Hilda Thatcher.

One middle-aged woman held up a placard. ‘Thank you Mrs Thatcher’ was all it said.

Indeed, by 10am there was hardly a square foot remaining on which to stand, nor a single piece of street furniture to climb on.

They were seven to ten deep in places and shoulder to shoulder as far as you could see. Others opted for a view from the top of office blocks.

One group of veteran paratroopers who fought in the Falklands stood to attention and saluted.

Former lance corporal Mark Bonar Jones, 51, recalled those who lost their lives in 1982 and told me: ‘She put the Great back in Great Britain at a time when it was desperately needed.’

Beside him Captain Bob Darby, 63, said of the protesters: ‘They have a right to protest. That’s democracy … and that was the reason we went to war when the islands were taken over by a fascist regime.

‘If it wasn’t for Margaret Thatcher, they’d all be living under a different government now.’

Margaret Thatcher: The ordinary people of Middle England who turned out for the former Prime Minister's funeral | Mail Online
Oh, are we posting photos? Is this supposed to prove something?

Margaret-Thatcher-funeral-010.jpg

Oh, are we posting photos? Is this supposed to prove something?

Margaret-Thatcher-funeral-010.jpg

By all means there's a toxic minority. We know some hate her. But just as many or more loved her.

I was countering the point that many liberals have been making repeatedly that she was only hated.

Forum List

Back