Obama Ditches Thatcher Funeral

I don't remember Diana being a small government conservative, condom.

what difference does it make? she certainly had no accomplishments at all compared to Thatcher, yet she was given the full monty.......

so to be clear no gov. leader etc. deserves a state or elaborate funeral if they didn't sppt. big government? :lol: your hat on to tight?

Try to keep up. If you live your life saying the taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook (like Thatcher) then you shouldn't approve of millions being spent out of the taxpayer fund for your funeral.

She's dead, she can't approve anything.

I don't remember Diana being a small government conservative, condom.

what difference does it make? she certainly had no accomplishments at all compared to Thatcher, yet she was given the full monty.......

so to be clear no gov. leader etc. deserves a state or elaborate funeral if they didn't sppt. big government? :lol: your hat on to tight?

Try to keep up. If you live your life saying the taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook (like Thatcher) then you shouldn't approve of millions being spent out of the taxpayer fund for your funeral.

humm, did you get that at a seance or?

Was President Bush invited? Were they small private funerals?

You see for Thatcher's funeral Obama's administration had been invited. It's harder to get an invite to Baroness Thatcher's funeral than it is to get one to a royal wedding once source joked.

Lady Thatcher's funeral is invitation only. It's reached the level of a state funeral. Matching Churchill's.

Were Heath's and Callaghan's private and not state? Because there is a world of difference.

Lady Thatcher, that great "small government" "conservative" was made part of the totalitarian upper class and is now having a state funeral costing the taxpayers millions of dollars. Her funeral is only for the "big people" by special invitation even though the "little people" are paying for it.

You can't do irony this well in fiction.

part of the what? :rolleyes:

so a groundbreaking former prime minister is not worthy of a state funeral, because she believed in free markets etc.....:lol:

did you bitch about that when Diana was given all the pomp etc.?

diana-princess-of-wales-funeral-diana-01QMvs.jpg
Diana's was not a state funeral either.

True enough, but the current "small government cons" in power can.

Feel free to tell me what she accomplished as a leader, condom.

I thought so......:rolleyes:

Cat got your tongue, eh?

the question is so vapid and bespeaks a lack of knowledge so deep that I won't bother, its like telling you you have to breath every 6-10 seconds to continue living.....( you do know that, right? :eusa_eh:)

breath ravi,....ok, wait...........................now again, breath......:rolleyes:

Lady Thatcher, that great "small government" "conservative" was made part of the totalitarian upper class and is now having a state funeral costing the taxpayers millions of dollars. Her funeral is only for the "big people" by special invitation even though the "little people" are paying for it.

You can't do irony this well in fiction.

part of the what? :rolleyes:

so a groundbreaking former prime minister is not worthy of a state funeral, because she believed in free markets etc.....:lol:

did you bitch about that when Diana was given all the pomp etc.?

diana-princess-of-wales-funeral-diana-01QMvs.jpg
Diana's was not a state funeral either.

I never said it was ....

I think we went through this before. How expensive would the lifes of all of us been if the Soviet nuke race had not been ended. She and Reagan had a lot to do with that.

Pennies were spent compared to the savings those two and other world leaders saved us.

I think we went through this before. How expensive would the lifes of all of us been if the Soviet nuke race had not been ended. She and Reagan had a lot to do with that.

Pennies were spent compared to the savings those two and other world leaders saved us.

well, you know Reagan and thatcher would have told us to just take them out in the trash if they could.......giving an elaborate funeral to the first woman PM, who pulled the economy out of a tailspin to boot, longest serving blah blah is a no go becasue she espoused smaller gov........ you have to be pretty desperate to even reach for an argument like that....:eusa_think:wait a minute;)

Oh yea, sorry for playing the gender feminist card, but whats good for the goose...;)

I pointed out I would have been fighting on the other side of this discussion had someone posted in that manner. Truth is, I would have. I don't give a rats ass who would have started a thread like that, right or left, either would have been WRONG.

Concrete enough!

I piss off as many on the far right as I do the far left.

Yet, you're not in the red, so this is untrue.

Meaning?
Meaning if you were pissing off the Right and the Left, both sides would be negging you, and you would be in the red.

Seems fairly self-explanatory to me.

Yet, you're not in the red, so this is untrue.

Meaning?
Meaning if you were pissing off the Right and the Left, both sides would be negging you, and you would be in the red.

Not necessarily Synth.

By the far right wing rabid loons on here, I'm a dangerous leftist liberal.

By the far left wing rabid loons, I'm a no good conservative.

If the rabid loons from EITHER side disagree with you, the first thing they do is call you what they aren't.

In reality? I'm more of a center kind of guy. Some things I take the conservative view on, some things I take the liberal view on.

If you were to ask what my politics are? I'd say that it's independent. During my time in the Navy, I would vote for whoever I thought would do the best job, not by what their party affiliation was.

Matter of fact, I voted for Jr. back in 2000, because I thought he'd do okay since his father had been president and he might have a clue as to how the world works.

After the debacle of the Iraq war? I was staunchly anti-Jr., but would say he did a good job if he did something right (which after 2004, wasn't often).

One more time. Obama had informed Thatcher's funeral planners that he was unable to attend BEFORE the bombing.

The snub is not Obama not attending. The snub was that Obama did not send a representative from his current Administration.

This move was classless and deliberate.
George Shultz and James Baker were the official U.S. representatives.

Dick Cheney and Henry Kissinger were also there, but not representing the U.S.

Not necessarily Synth.

By the far right wing rabid loons on here, I'm a dangerous leftist liberal.

By the far left wing rabid loons, I'm a no good conservative.

If the rabid loons from EITHER side disagree with you, the first thing they do is call you what they aren't.

In reality? I'm more of a center kind of guy. Some things I take the conservative view on, some things I take the liberal view on.

If you were to ask what my politics are? I'd say that it's independent. During my time in the Navy, I would vote for whoever I thought would do the best job, not by what their party affiliation was.

Matter of fact, I voted for Jr. back in 2000, because I thought he'd do okay since his father had been president and he might have a clue as to how the world works.

After the debacle of the Iraq war? I was staunchly anti-Jr., but would say he did a good job if he did something right (which after 2004, wasn't often).

Started life as a democrat. Carter changed that

Became a republican, Bush Sr. Cured that

Been an Indy ever since

One more time. Obama had informed Thatcher's funeral planners that he was unable to attend BEFORE the bombing.

The snub is not Obama not attending. The snub was that Obama did not send a representative from his current Administration.

This move was classless and deliberate.

Exactly, you can change the Name from Obama, to Bush, to Clinton, does not change the basic truth of the situation. The United States of America's administration, the current administration, should have a good sized, important set of representatives at the funeral of such an historic political figure. Period.

Wingnuts would bitch about the cost of sending them all over there and back.

There's no snub. It actually makes a little sense. Our official reps are Baker and Shultz, who Obama asked to go. Britian and Argentina are lighting up the issue of the Falklands/Maldives once again. The brits claim is based upon conquest and military occupation. Of course, that would lead to some issues of our own territory. And, obviously, the Falklands are part of Thatcher's legacy. The senate is not going to approve anything regarding Thatcher that references that war, and possibly not support of the Pershing Missles in europe ... perhaps because missle defense is still a issue today.

Even when Reagan was potus, there were questions of exactly why we supported Britain's claim over Argentiana, but Reagan had Maggie's back.

How the U.S. Almost Betrayed Britain in the Falklands War - WSJ.com

Obama's essentially honoring the historical legacy with explicitly not commenting upon any still current issue that any action the US takes could be considered supporting or not supporting.

What nonsense that this wasn't a snub!

President Obama and the First Lady were invited. Obama refused to attend. No one complained about that.

The snub came when he refused to send any high ranking official in his administration to the funeral of Baroness Thatcher.

It was purposeful, blatant, deliberate and beyond tacky. So low class.

The Thatcher family was distressed that Obama sent no one of any ranking from the President's administration. And said so to the Brit papers.

They knew it was a snub.

The funeral planners were shocked at this as well. And expressed their dismay. And they knew it was a snub.

This was an " invitation only " funeral.

It was harder to get an invitation to Thatcher's funeral than to get an invitation to a Royal wedding.

Obama looks classless and undiplomatic and that's putting it nicely.

Her funeral was the first political funeral that Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip had attended since Winston Churchill's funeral.

And despite Obama's snub, it was grand.

WHO is snubbing Thatcher???

Margaret Thatcher's funeral is not an official state occasion

Obama won't attend Thatcher funeral. But neither will former presidents Clinton and both Bushes.

It appears that protocol has a lot to do with the absence of big names from the US attendee list. Margaret Thatcher's funeral is not an official state occasion, despite the military trappings and the presence of her majesty, the Queen. So technically, although they've all been invited, US presidents, as former and present heads of state, would be attending representing themselves and not the nation.

THREAD KILLER!!!

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

In reality? I'm more of a center kind of guy. Some things I take the conservative view on, some things I take the liberal view on...

For example(s)?

I'm not a big believer in a whole lot of bureaucracy. Got cured of that while I was in the Navy and had to navigate it to get my job done (Personnelman), so yeah, I think there is a limit to how big government should be, which is a conservative view.

I also think that gays should be allowed to marry and enjoy the same benefits as a hetero couple, and I also think cannabis should be legal, which is a liberal view.

In reality? I'm more of a center kind of guy. Some things I take the conservative view on, some things I take the liberal view on...

For example(s)?

I'm not a big believer in a whole lot of bureaucracy. Got cured of that while I was in the Navy and had to navigate it to get my job done (Personnelman), so yeah, I think there is a limit to how big government should be, which is a conservative view.

I also think that gays should be allowed to marry and enjoy the same benefits as a hetero couple, and I also think cannabis should be legal, which is a liberal view.

I dunno...the 'conservative' example is kind of general, but the 'liberal' ones are quite specific.

Forum List

Back