Obama looks so small compared to this great man

I guess you had to be there...or pick up a history book.

He brought the Soviets to their knees. If a President's first job is security of the Nation, he accomplished that.

Really? How did he bring them to their knees? By calling them bad names and looking good? Anything in in particular he did to "bring them to their knees", or is that just something someone told you once?

How did he do that? Anything in particular? He made a bunch of nice speeches and made people feel good? Wow, good for him.

Some call it "exceptionalism"....I'm not sure about that but as far as civilizations go adjusted for the times when they came about, he reminded us that we were great.

Mad props to Ronald Reagan.

For what? Making you feel good? Great. Good job Ronald! You made people feel good!

Well...he WAS an actor.

Quite so. I thought the right hated the "Hollywood elite".

Now that you have listed a very few of the low lights, focus on the rest of his 8 years....BTW...the supply-side (as you call it) tax cuts are NOT a bad thing. They are ONE of hundreds of good things that helped to change this country for the better.

It was Reagan's policies and his altering of our economy from one of massive theft of the producers, to one in which business could thrive, was the direct cause of more than 12 years of prosperity, those same years that everyone likes to give Clinton credit for.

His policies reunited Germany, started th downfall of one of the worst tyrannical governments in our histoy (Soviet Russia) and put communism back on its heals for decades.

Yeah.....But you go ahead and focus on JUST the bad stuff and then define Reagan by that alone.

The supply-side as I call it?

How about the supply-side as the Washington Post calls it. They're the ones who wrote the article.

And if you think the Iran-Contra affair was just a "low light", guess again. It practically defines Reagan's term in office.

Aside from Reagan ordering Gorbachev to "Tear Down This Wall" (I'll be Gorbachev quaked with fear when Reagan said it) exactly what policies of Reagan's reunited Germany? It was Germany's policies which reunited Germany I would think.
The Iron Curtain was ready to fall long before Reagan made his speech. He's about as responsible for the German Reunification as David Hasselhof is.

And why shouldn't we only focus on the bad stuff Reagan did? Isn't that what you all are doing with Obama?
Wow, you need to check into a clinic and dry out. The Iran-Contra affair only defines Reagan to the wing nuts who absolutely have to tear him down to justify their own existence.

Every policy that pushed the Soviets into economic collapse trying to keep up with our re-establishing our military defense of this county was instrumental to the reunification of Germany and the all of the Soviet Empire.

To the right, the Clinton presidency is defined by the Lewinski blowjob.

Reagan's presidency was crooked from the start because of Iran / Contra arms for hostages deal. Iran released the hostages right after Reagan took the oath of office. Then he went on to arm the Mujaheddin in Afghanistan which later became Al Queda and the Taliban. He armed the Contras, a murderous right wing guerilla group, in contravention of the law. He broke up the air traffic controllers union which lowered air traffic safety. His tax policies led to the destruction of the middle class. His borrow and spend economic policies caused the US to go from the greatest creditor nation to the biggest debtor nation. There was real concern that he was crazy enough to push the nuclear button. There is so much revisionist history going on about him that it boggles the mind. His was one of the most destructive presidencies to this country ever seen until Bush 2.

Don't forget the 100s of commissioned officers and thousands of other ranks that left the Armed Forces after and because of Iran-Contra, as our heroes realized we had an admin that master-minded the sale of munitions that could be used later against us, and were in Afghanistan and Iraq.

How about the supply-side as the Washington Post calls it. They're the ones who wrote the article.

And if you think the Iran-Contra affair was just a "low light", guess again. It practically defines Reagan's term in office.

Aside from Reagan ordering Gorbachev to "Tear Down This Wall" (I'll be Gorbachev quaked with fear when Reagan said it) exactly what policies of Reagan's reunited Germany? It was Germany's policies which reunited Germany I would think.
The Iron Curtain was ready to fall long before Reagan made his speech. He's about as responsible for the German Reunification as David Hasselhof is.

And why shouldn't we only focus on the bad stuff Reagan did? Isn't that what you all are doing with Obama?
Wow, you need to check into a clinic and dry out. The Iran-Contra affair only defines Reagan to the wing nuts who absolutely have to tear him down to justify their own existence.

Every policy that pushed the Soviets into economic collapse trying to keep up with our re-establishing our military defense of this county was instrumental to the reunification of Germany and the all of the Soviet Empire.

Reagan's presidency was crooked from the start because of Iran / Contra arms for hostages deal. Iran released the hostages right after Reagan took the oath of office. Then he went on to arm the Mujaheddin in Afghanistan which later became Al Queda and the Taliban. He armed the Contras, a murderous right wing guerilla group, in contravention of the law. He broke up the air traffic controllers union which lowered air traffic safety. His tax policies led to the destruction of the middle class. His borrow and spend economic policies caused the US to go from the greatest creditor nation to the biggest debtor nation. There was real concern that he was crazy enough to push the nuclear button. There is so much revisionist history going on about him that it boggles the mind. His was one of the most destructive presidencies to this country ever seen until Bush 2.

I would like to have you explain how Reagan managed to make a hostage deal by selling arms to Iran BEFORE he became President. When you explain that, we can discuss the rest of your absolute nonsense.

Don't forget the 100s of commissioned officers and thousands of other ranks that left the Armed Forces after and because of Iran-Contra, as our heroes realized we had an admin that master-minded the sale of munitions that could be used later against us, and were in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Didn't happen fool. Perhaps you would turn yellow, but as a Vet, I can assure you a few arms sold to Iran in 1985 didn't bother any military man in 2001 or 2003. The shelf life of most of these obsolete weapons made them worthless by then.

And, can you point out ONE casualty caused by these weapons?

Meanwhile... Mr. Soetoro is spending America's birthday (July 4th) in France... How decidedly fitting for the Commander in Choom.

You guys are so divorced from truth and reality, it's not funny.

Oh and Reagan was a law breaking, lying, treasonous son of a bitch..with nice hair.

The fuck chop couldn't even be bothered defending the country in one of the biggest war this country ever fought.

Well good for you then.

You can't even name a single concrete action by Reagan that was great.

He brought the Soviets to their knees. If a President's first job is security of the Nation, he accomplished that.

Really? How did he bring them to their knees? By calling them bad names and looking good? Anything in in particular he did to "bring them to their knees", or is that just something someone told you once?

He did 2 things.

He let it be known that aggression would be met with force. It wasn't a coincidence that the Soviet Army had a very bad time in Afghanistan and it started about the same time that Reagan and Company got serious about backing the rebels.

He also increased military spending. Colin Powell (who was a staffer with Casper Weinberger at the time) referred to it as something like, "We were done with our requisition list. We then moved on to our wish list. After that, we moved onto our dream list." That was in his autobiography "My American Journey". Soviet-style communism has an Achille's heel. There is an upper limit it can spend before the entire system grinds to a halt. They found theirs. Later after th Cold War ended, Powell wrote something along the lines of an aide of his saying (about the Russian fleet), "This fleet is going bye bye" meaning it could barely stay afloat. Hence Peristroyka (sp?), hence the coup, hence the end of the Soviet Union.

If you want to blame Reagan for the arguably more dangerous CIS and former Soviet satellite states; go ahead. But the biggest threat this nation ever faced was stared down by the leadership of one man; Ronald Wilson Reagan.

That alone qualifies him for his own mountain.

Moreover, He made the country remember what experience we have, what our past was, and recognized that the Country was unique, special.
How did he do that? Anything in particular? He made a bunch of nice speeches and made people feel good? Wow, good for him.

Yes, good for him and for us actually. One of the things he did was make it cool to serve in the military again. Powell (again in his book) referred to how the military men and women serving in the White House were ordered to start wearing their uniforms again. It had been frowned upon to reinforce the civilian leadership. It was also out of fashion given Vietnam.

It's hard to explain to jaundiced liberal morons but there was an authentic crisis of leadership in the Post Carter era which was leftover from Watergate and Ford's ascention to the Oval Office--someone we did not vote for. Carter did nothing to let anyone know there was someone in control. Reagan did. You may recall he won 49 states as a result. These are facts that are in books and they are there for all to learn.

Some call it "exceptionalism"....I'm not sure about that but as far as civilizations go adjusted for the times when they came about, he reminded us that we were great.

Mad props to Ronald Reagan.

For what? Making you feel good? Great. Good job Ronald! You made people feel good!

I guess that was sarcasm; right?

Just a bit of advice from a left-leaning non ideolouge; It is permissible to let a few pitches go by. When you try to sound engaged and fail so miserably, you make yourself look dumb. :(

Didn't happen fool. Perhaps you would turn yellow, but as a Vet, I can assure you a few arms sold to Iran in 1985 didn't bother any military man in 2001 or 2003. The shelf life of most of these obsolete weapons made them worthless by then.

I guess treason isn't important to you guys.

:mad:

Meanwhile... Mr. Soetoro is spending America's birthday (July 4th) in France... How decidedly fitting for the Commander in Choom.

You guys are so divorced from truth and reality, it's not funny.

Oh and Reagan was a law breaking, lying, treasonous son of a bitch..with nice hair.

The fuck chop couldn't even be bothered defending the country in one of the biggest war this country ever fought.

It's posts like this that make liberalism look bad.

I would like to have you explain how Reagan managed to make a hostage deal by selling arms to Iran BEFORE he became President. When you explain that, we can discuss the rest of your absolute nonsense.

Within an hour after Reagan was sworn in..the hostages were released.

While there is nothing concrete that points to him making a deal before becoming President, that seems to be the case.

And the fucker lied about selling arms to Iran in order to free hostages..while using the money from the sales to arm terrorists in central and south america.

Oh yeah..and he also funneled money to the muj. Which were headed up by such bright spots in the terrorist world..like Osama Bin Laden.

As a vet, I can assure you that you are foolish and mistaken. The weapons went into the locker of the Iranians and then sent out to their allies throughout the Middle East. and I know dozens who did leave the service because of their corrupt commander-in-chief.

Last edited:
WOW...you accuse sfcal of propaganda bullshit, then you post propaganda bullshit from Peter Ferrara, a "senior policy adviser" at the conservative Institute for Policy Innovation, who admitted that he "took money" from Jack Abramoff "to write op-ed pieces boosting the lobbyist's clients. 'I do that all the time,' Ferrara said. 'I've done that in the past, and I'll do it in the future'

You nutjob those are all facts... Look um up

LOL Yeah... and what I posted aren't facts. Look em up, nutjob!

Here is the Iran / Contra timeline of events: In The 80s - The Iran Contra Scandal
Oct. -The Reagan-Bush campaign makes secret pact with Iran to delay release of the Embassy hostages until after the November election, in return for future covert arms sales. This theory is known as the 'October surprise.'
Jan 20 -- Hostages held in the American Embassy in Iran released. Reagan takes oath of office.
July -- An Israeli official suggests a deal with Iran to then-national security adviser Robert McFarlane, saying the transfer of arms could lead to release of Americans being held hostage in Lebanon. McFarlane brings the message to President Reagan.
Aug. 30 -- The first planeload of U.S.-made weapons is sent from Israel to Tehran. Two weeks later the first American Hostage is released.
Dec. 5 -- Reagan secretly signs a presidential 'finding,' or authorization, describing the operation with Iran as an arms-for-hostages deal.
Jan. 17 -- Reagan signs a finding authorizing CIA participation in the sales and ordering the process kept secret from Congress.
April -- Then-White House aide Oliver North writes a memo outlining plans to use $12 million in profits from Iran arms sales for Contra aid.
Nov. 5 -- Bush records in his diary "On the news at this time is the question of the hostages ... I'm one of the few people that know fully the details ... it is not a subject we can talk about ...."
Nov 13 -- Bush's diary: "I remember Watergate. I remember the way things oozed out. It is important to be level, to be honest, to be direct. We are not saying anything."
Nov. 25 -- Attorney General Edwin Meese III discloses to the public that $10 million to $30 million in arms-sale profits were diverted to the Contras. Bush's diary: "The administration in disarray -- foreign policy in disarray -- cover-up -- who knew what when?..."
Jan 1 -- Bush's diary "These so-called findings on Iran -- I'll be honest -- I don't remember any of them, and I don't believe that they were even signed by the president, frankly. But sometimes there are meetings over in the White House with Shultz, NSC guy [McFarlane? -ed], Casey and Weinberger, and they make some decisions that the president signs off on. ... And the facts are that the Vice President is not in the decision making loop."
May 11 -- McFarlane testifies to Congress that Reagan instructed his staff in 1984 to find ways around the congressional ban on U.S. military aid to the Contras.
Jan -- Just before Reagan leaves office, the White House computer is purged of data, which is backed-up to tape. About two-dozen tapes mysteriously disappear once the aides have finished.
July 25 -- U.S. District Judge Harold Greene dismisses theft and wire fraud charges against Poindexter. Poindexter remains charged with conspiracy, two counts of obstructing Congress and two counts of making false statements.
Feb. 5 -- Greene orders Reagan to give a unusual videotaped testimony and immediately turn over 33 excerpts from his diaries. The former president invokes constitutionally questionable doctrine of executive privilege, made famous by Richard Milhous Nixon. On the videotape he says he never had "any inkling" that his aides were arming the Contras.
April 7 -- Poindexter is convicted of all five charges.
Feb. 28 -- Poindexter appeals all five convictions.
June 16 -- Former Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger is indicted on five felony counts of obstruction of justice, perjury and making false statements.
Aug. 26 -- Because of a hung jury, U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth declares a mistrial in the case of CIA officer Clair George, accused of concealing from Congress his knowledge of the Iran-Contra affair.
Nov. 26 -- Duane Clarridge, ex-head of the CIA's Western European Division, is indicted for allegedly lying about his knowledge of Iran-Contra.
Dec. 9 -- George is convicted of lying to Congress about the affair in 1986. He becomes the highest-ranking CIA spook yet convicted of felonies committed in the name of duty.
Dec. 24 -- President Bush grants pardons to Weinberger, former assistant secretary of State Elliott Abrams, Clarridge, Fiers, George and McFarlane.

He did 2 things.

He let it be known that aggression would be met with force. It wasn't a coincidence that the Soviet Army had a very bad time in Afghanistan and it started about the same time that Reagan and Company got serious about backing the rebels.

U.S. aid to the Mujahideen actually began under Carter. BTW - how did aiding Islamic fundamentalists in Afghanistan work out for us 20 year later?
He also increased military spending.
It takes a great President to increase military spending?
If you want to blame Reagan for the arguably more dangerous CIS and former Soviet satellite states; go ahead. But the biggest threat this nation ever faced was stared down by the leadership of one man; Ronald Wilson Reagan.

What does it mean he "stared" them down? He spent some money on tanks and sent some money to Islamic fundamentalist wackos?

Last edited:

While there is nothing concrete that points to him making a deal before becoming President, that seems to be the case.

And the fucker lied about selling arms to Iran in order to free hostages..while using the money from the sales to arm terrorists in central and south america.

Oh yeah..and he also funneled money to the muj. Which were headed up by such bright spots in the terrorist world..like Osama Bin Laden.

One more time you ignorant idiot. How did Reagan sell arms to Iran BEFORE he became President?

One more time you ignorant idiot. How did Reagan sell arms to Iran BEFORE he became President?

Answered already in #214 above and your complaint is summarily dismissed.

Move on, nothing to see here.

He did 2 things.

U.S. aid to the Mujahideen actually began under Carter. BTW - how did aiding Islamic fundamentalists in Afghanistan work out for us 20 year later?

Twenty years later may not have came. It is no secret that the Soviet Union had designs on world domination. It kept the Soviets out of the middle east and controlling oil.

If you want to blame Reagan for Osama Bin Laden, fine. Give him credit for destoying a much more potent adversary in favor of what is, at best, a nusiance.

Just try to be honest in your expectations. Twenty years later....get a life.

He also increased military spending.
It takes a great President to increase military spending?

Again, at the time, yes. I don't know if you're being willfully pigheaded or are just that ignorant of history. We were shaking off Vietnam in the 1980's, two failed examples of Presidential leadership, it wasn't his fault but Carter's failed rescue mission from Iranian militants, etc...

The thought of this was truly novel at the time.

What does it mean he "stared" them down? He spent some money on tanks and sent some money to Islamic fundamentalist wackos?

You got it Einstein. Congratulations. NATO was emboldened under Reagan in a way that it wasn't under Carter. Those "whackos" were armed and repelled an invasion from a superpower. That was Reagan.

Here is the Iran / Contra timeline of events: In The 80s - The Iran Contra Scandal
Oct. -The Reagan-Bush campaign makes secret pact with Iran to delay release of the Embassy hostages until after the November election, in return for future covert arms sales. This theory is known as the 'October surprise.'

So you base the release of hostages on a theory and a secret pact In other words a conspiracy theory that refers to an alleged plot. Do you have any evidence other than some made up partisan lie?

Dec. 5 -- Reagan secretly signs a presidential 'finding,' or authorization, describing the operation with Iran as an arms-for-hostages deal.
So how did you find out about this secret presidential finding if it is a secret? Could you link me to this authorization? It has to be a matter of record.
Jan. 17 -- Reagan signs a finding authorizing CIA participation in the sales and ordering the process kept secret from Congress.
Same question. Show me the secret finding.

April -- Then-White House aide Oliver North writes a memo outlining plans to use $12 million in profits from Iran arms sales for Contra aid.
Nov. 5 -- Bush records in his diary "On the news at this time is the question of the hostages ... I'm one of the few people that know fully the details ... it is not a subject we can talk about ...."
Nov 13 -- Bush's diary: "I remember Watergate. I remember the way things oozed out. It is important to be level, to be honest, to be direct. We are not saying anything."
Nov. 25 -- Attorney General Edwin Meese III discloses to the public that $10 million to $30 million in arms-sale profits were diverted to the Contras. Bush's diary: "The administration in disarray -- foreign policy in disarray -- cover-up -- who knew what when?..."
Jan 1 -- Bush's diary "These so-called findings on Iran -- I'll be honest -- I don't remember any of them, and I don't believe that they were even signed by the president, frankly. But sometimes there are meetings over in the White House with Shultz, NSC guy [McFarlane? -ed], Casey and Weinberger, and they make some decisions that the president signs off on. ... And the facts are that the Vice President is not in the decision making loop."
May 11 -- McFarlane testifies to Congress that Reagan instructed his staff in 1984 to find ways around the congressional ban on U.S. military aid to the Contras.
Jan -- Just before Reagan leaves office, the White House computer is purged of data, which is backed-up to tape. About two-dozen tapes mysteriously disappear once the aides have finished.
It seem that this same problem happened again in 2000. The Clinton-Gore White House claimed last week that computer back-up tapes of computers in the White House office that improperly obtained FBI files were �unreadable.� The admission came in the ongoing $90 million Filegate class action lawsuit filed by Judicial Watch on behalf of the former Reagan and Bush administration staffers and others whose FBI files were illegally obtained by this White House. Hillary Rodham Clinton is a defendant in this lawsuit.

July 25 -- U.S. District Judge Harold Greene dismisses theft and wire fraud charges against Poindexter. Poindexter remains charged with conspiracy, two counts of obstructing Congress and two counts of making false statements.
Feb. 5 -- Greene orders Reagan to give a unusual videotaped testimony and immediately turn over 33 excerpts from his diaries. The former president invokes constitutionally questionable doctrine of executive privilege, made famous by Richard Milhous Nixon. On the videotape he says he never had "any inkling" that his aides were arming the Contras.
April 7 -- Poindexter is convicted of all five charges.
Feb. 28 -- Poindexter appeals all five convictions.
June 16 -- Former Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger is indicted on five felony counts of obstruction of justice, perjury and making false statements.
Aug. 26 -- Because of a hung jury, U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth declares a mistrial in the case of CIA officer Clair George, accused of concealing from Congress his knowledge of the Iran-Contra affair.
Nov. 26 -- Duane Clarridge, ex-head of the CIA's Western European Division, is indicted for allegedly lying about his knowledge of Iran-Contra.
Dec. 9 -- George is convicted of lying to Congress about the affair in 1986. He becomes the highest-ranking CIA spook yet convicted of felonies committed in the name of duty.
Dec. 24 -- President Bush grants pardons to Weinberger, former assistant secretary of State Elliott Abrams, Clarridge, Fiers, George and McFarlane.

How about that witch hunt. Lying to Congress seems to be a favorite Democrat tactic for convicting Republicans. And, if you want to talk about invoking a constitutionally questionable doctrine of executive privilege, lets discuss Obama covering for Holder.

Here is what went down. The US Senate, controlled by left leaning Democrats passed several Boland amendments that prevented Reagan from using any US funds to fight the Communist led Sandinistas in Central America. Having a Communist government in Central America was unthinkable to Reagan but perfectly acceptable, in fact desired, by the Dem POS in the Senate.

Reagan did what most Presidents would do. Gave an order to find a way to support the Contras. His staff and Ollie North did just exactly that and Reagan didn't want to know or micro manage anything. ISRAEL brokering arms to Iran was a stroke of genius.

So all commie loving bastards that rewrite history can go suck on a dead liberal nose until his head caves in.

Last edited:

This sentence seem redundant given the content of the post.

It might also be that the Iranians were just a tad scared of the guy that might nuke the A-holes until the sand turned to glass.

Forum List

Back