Obama math: under new Common Core, 3 x 4 = 11

Okay. I'll jump in.

Funding.

Test passing for money. Lower standards to pass the test for the money. Those tests are math/reading.

They don't even get Columbus sailed the ocean blue until 5th.

Behind the 8 ball with funding for testing.

Can you explain what your answer had to do with my post? You lost me

Immie

You got caught in my crosshairs.

Sorry.

No problem :)

This is new to me. My kids are out of school and so far no grandchildren, so I have not really been "watching". So far I am skeptical to say the least. Not much to go on since the info I have reviewed is questionable as to bias. Your video seems most reliable but I have not seen any rebuttals at this point and the short video in the OP seems to be out of context. At least I hope to heck it is!

Immie

It is very important that students have basic knowledge such as knowing their multiplication table. 3 x 4 does not equal 11. It makes no sense to give a student any credit for trying to explain why 3 x 4 should equal 11. Of course 3 x 4 = 12! The video is edited to make it seem like 3 x 4 is the math problem being discussed. That makes the speaker seem foolish.

People may agree or disagree with the concept of giving partial credit when a student shows promise with a complex math problem but gets the problem incorrect by having a brain fart with a basic computation. But take a second look at that video. The speaker is not saying that 3 x 4 = 11 is acceptable as a correct answer. But the video sure is edited to make us think that is what she is saying.

The nuances are a little too hard to understand I think Bob.
Logic and critical thinking are actively discouraged in some circles.

Kids in Common Core?

:lmao:

So what?
I thought the discussion was about whether kids should be taught to think and understand or simply rote-learn?

Can you explain what your answer had to do with my post? You lost me

Immie

Sorry.

This is new to me. My kids are out of school and so far no grandchildren, so I have not really been "watching". So far I am skeptical to say the least. Not much to go on since the info I have reviewed is questionable as to bias. Your video seems most reliable but I have not seen any rebuttals at this point and the short video in the OP seems to be out of context. At least I hope to heck it is!

Immie

There are plenty of problems with common core without using a video taken out of context to make a case against it.

Sorry.

Immie

There are plenty of problems with common core without using a video taken out of context to make a case against it.

You're already on my shit list.

You seen common core or have something to add?

I'll text it to you and you can read it and eat your taco while you're driving.

Sorry.

Immie

Troll.

;)

That was a very short piece of a much longer presentation, and I believe that it was taken out of context. Having not seen the complete presentation, I cannot be absolutely sure of the context, but I suspect that 3 times 4 is part of a bigger problem such as the area of a rectangle. A student would be able to score points by explaining that the area of the rectangle is length times width. Perhaps the student might lose points by making a computational error such as 3 x 4 = 11.

The context of the OP would have us believe that common core would accept the answer that 3 x 4 = 11 as long as the student could BS a reason why 3 x 4 should equal 11. I don't believe that is what the speaker is trying to say.

If asked how to find the area of a 3 by 4 rectangle, the students says multiply the length by the width. 3 x 4 = 11 square units. The teacher should congratulate the student on the correct method of doing the problem and being able to explain the correct method, while correcting the student on the incorrect computation.

Its called 'partial credit' and math teachers have been doing it for years. They did it when I was in grade school 25 years ago. The OP apparently didn't make it past times tables in school and never got to the concept of a real world problem - like take this rectangle and find its area - so the OP has never been exposed to math problems in which partial credit is even possible.

My teachers wanted me to show my work, but I never showed it the way the idiots that don't understand math wanted me too.

I got all the answers right though.

You see no value in understanding process rather than simply rote learning of facts?

I see no value in using the process to get the answer wrong because doing so demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the process.

I dare you to argue with me on that.

No it doesn't, you can have a fundamental understanding of a process but still get a wrong answer through a simple error.
Did you always get your quadratic equations dead right at school...even though you understood basically how to work them out?

Besides, that's what education's for - to learn how to get these things right.

If you understand the process, and get the wrong answer, it won't help the wall you are building fit. That is why carpenters always make sure they get the right answer, not the right process.

I see no value in using the process to get the answer wrong because doing so demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the process.

I dare you to argue with me on that.

No it doesn't, you can have a fundamental understanding of a process but still get a wrong answer through a simple error.
Did you always get your quadratic equations dead right at school...even though you understood basically how to work them out?

If you understand the process, and get the wrong answer, it won't help the wall you are building fit. That is why carpenters always make sure they get the right answer, not the right process.

If you don't understand the process, how can you work out the right answer?

Its called 'partial credit' and math teachers have been doing it for years. They did it when I was in grade school 25 years ago. The OP apparently didn't make it past times tables in school and never got to the concept of a real world problem - like take this rectangle and find its area - so the OP has never been exposed to math problems in which partial credit is even possible.

lol, If you knew me and my ability in much higher math you'd laugh at your post. lol:eusa_whistle: We're talking about basic math that needs to be straight forward.

Writing l=3, w=4, and A = l x w = 3 x 4 = 11, proves that despite the arithmetic error for which the student would be docked credit, the student knows how to compute the area of a square, for which they should receive credit. That's pretty straightforward.

In my experience, long computations are frequently wrong the first time they are carried out. The ability to go back in the computation and spot your error is very important, and long computations need to be checked and re-checked many times to ensure accuracy.

This from a guy that claims to be an astrophysicist.

Tell me something, if you get the wrong answer when you are figuring out where to point the telescope, will the universe give you partial credit? Will the observatory let you have extra time because you got wrote the right equation, but put down the wrong answer?

If the answer to any of those is no, why the fuck should a teacher give a kid partial credit for the wrong answer?

Obama math: under new Common Core, 3 x 4 = 11

Obama's Administration liberal lunacy at its best! :clap2:

"The strange and bizarre characters found in Alice in Wonderland have counterparts in the political vision of Liberal Land today."

MadHatter in Chief.

lol, If you knew me and my ability in much higher math you'd laugh at your post. lol:eusa_whistle: We're talking about basic math that needs to be straight forward.

Writing l=3, w=4, and A = l x w = 3 x 4 = 11, proves that despite the arithmetic error for which the student would be docked credit, the student knows how to compute the area of a square, for which they should receive credit. That's pretty straightforward.

In my experience, long computations are frequently wrong the first time they are carried out. The ability to go back in the computation and spot your error is very important, and long computations need to be checked and re-checked many times to ensure accuracy.

This from a guy that claims to be an astrophysicist.

Tell me something, if you get the wrong answer when you are figuring out where to point the telescope, will the universe give you partial credit? Will the observatory let you have extra time because you got wrote the right equation, but put down the wrong answer?

If the answer to any of those is no, why the fuck should a teacher give a kid partial credit for the wrong answer?

What are you talking about?
Getting the correct result is the consequence of understanding the process.

Memorize it.

It is very important that students have basic knowledge such as knowing their multiplication table. 3 x 4 does not equal 11. It makes no sense to give a student any credit for trying to explain why 3 x 4 should equal 11. Of course 3 x 4 = 12! The video is edited to make it seem like 3 x 4 is the math problem being discussed. That makes the speaker seem foolish.

People may agree or disagree with the concept of giving partial credit when a student shows promise with a complex math problem but gets the problem incorrect by having a brain fart with a basic computation. But take a second look at that video. The speaker is not saying that 3 x 4 = 11 is acceptable as a correct answer. But the video sure is edited to make us think that is what she is saying.

I never said the video did, did I? In fact, I made it clear that the video didn't say that, I take umbrage with the idea that partial credit for describing a process but getting the wrong answer. In the real world it doesn't matter if you know how to get the length of the top chord of a truss if you cut it a foot short. If shouldn't matter in school either.

The nuances are a little too hard to understand I think Bob.
Logic and critical thinking are actively discouraged in some circles.

Kids in Common Core?

:lmao:

So what?
I thought the discussion was about whether kids should be taught to think and understand or simply rote-learn?

I thought the discussion was if they should get credit for getting the answer wrong.

Memorize it.

That would be great if all problems were limited to a multiplication of single digit numbers now wouldn't it?
What do you do when the problem is bigger than that?

The direction of thought, illustration, process...

Common Core.

Correct answer?

Whatever.

Forum List

Back