obama said he would sign an assault weapons ban

His last sentence says it all....Most of the violence in our country comes from our inner cities and the gang atmosphere. The weapons used are not assault weapons, generally speaking. An assault weapon ban would do nothing to alleviate this problem.

I disagree with Obama on this.
Has it been officially established yet what an "assault weapon" is and is not? I've read and heard so many different descriptions I can't be sure.

One thing I do know is the term "assault weapon" is often used by those who know little or nothing about guns but like the way it sounds.

Last edited:
His last sentence says it all....Most of the violence in our country comes from our inner cities and the gang atmosphere. The weapons used are not assault weapons, generally speaking. An assault weapon ban would do nothing to alleviate this problem.

I disagree with Obama on this.
Has it been officially established yet what an "assault weapon" is and is not? I've read and heard so many different descriptions I can't be sure.

Clintons was the starting point but obama wants to take further.
All of which would violate the very weapons that the courts have ruled are protected by the second amendment.

Now how many of these Toss Up states are pro gun?
Colorado (9)
Florida (29)
Iowa (6)
Michigan (16)
Nevada (6)
New Hampshire (4)
North Carolina (15)
Ohio (18)
Pennsylvania (20)
Virginia (13)
Wisconsin (10)

obama shot himself in the foot with North Carolina because of his support of gay marriage

At the end of a long answer to the question, “What has your administration done or planned to do to limit the availability of assault weapons?” Obama said this:
“My belief is that, (A), we have to enforce the laws we’ve already got, make sure that we’re keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, those who are mentally ill. We’ve done a much better job in terms of background checks, but we’ve got more to do when it comes to enforcement.
“But I also share your belief that weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don’t belong on our streets. And so what I’m trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.”

Obama Calls for Renewal of Assault Weapons Ban - ABC News

The right to defend ourselves transcends the use by the unlawful of firearms to commit crimes. As it stands, in my opinion, the ownership of firearms is already far over regulated. Some fear the ability of joe average citizen to own the same rifle issued to our military. Everyday I see news photos of what appear to be military forces operating around the nation in our densely populated cities and suburbs. On second glance I realize that the photos are not of soldiers but of police units garbed, armed and armored identically to military combat troops. I trust most fellow gun owners I know much more than paramilitary police forces to safely discharge live rounds in populated areas. An unpopular belief perhaps, but if the police are arming themselves with the highest tech firepower, then the citizenry ought to be similarly armed. As the last few decades have proven, no amount of gun control legislation prevents gang war, random shooting sprees or criminals in general from getting and using guns, nor the innocent from dying in the crossfire.

The way I see it, you can fear or hate firearms. You can vote for gun control proponents, and you can condemn those who carry or stockpile weapons. You can also rely on the police for defense and rescue from the clutches of the bad guys, but some day down the road, after you've surrendered your right and ability to bear arms and thus defend yourself and your family, your depedency on government employees as sole means of salvation may not go as planned. Just saying I'd rather be prepared with means of defense at hand as opposed to the dial (911) and pray method. At the end of the day, I think individually, we are our own best, first line of defense.

Who cares? I don't and certainly not anyone who votes their gun fetish.

I vote for my rights to defend myself any way I so choose, I'm not stupid enough to think the government will be there when needed, nor do I trust them. I trust them just about as much as I would Stalin or Moa.

You and everyone who gives a crap about this issue has known how they were going to vote before they even heard the name Barack Obama. Stroke your precious phallic symbol like a good little republican and cheer while your candidates trash the other less important amendments.
Without the second amendment their would not be any other amendments by now. So deal with it.
Do you actually think America would be as free as it is now without the second amendment?

How many of those key swing states are pro gun? That's the point to this thread.
My apologies.

I do agree with the Bamsters, expcept for his inference to an outright ban.

I totally disagree with you no ban everybody should be armed and ban all gun free zones.

We're both talking about Obama's comments, correct?

“My belief is that, (A), we have to enforce the laws we’ve already got, make sure that we’re keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, those who are mentally ill. We’ve done a much better job in terms of background checks, but we’ve got more to do when it comes to enforcement.

“But I also share your belief that weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don’t belong on our streets. And so what I’m trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.”

This all sounds good to me, except His comments about assault weapons ban.

Assault weapons in the home and at the range are dandy, but not "in the streets".

Gun-free zones are a joke and shouldn't exist.

Hell, I lived in a "nuclear-free zone". Urbana, IL city council Liberals saw fit to declare it so about 30 years ago LMAO.

Colorado (9)
Florida (29)
Iowa (6)
Michigan (16)
Nevada (6)
New Hampshire (4)
North Carolina (15)
Ohio (18)
Pennsylvania (20)
Virginia (13)
Wisconsin (10)

obama shot himself in the foot with North Carolina because of his support of gay marriage

At the end of a long answer to the question, “What has your administration done or planned to do to limit the availability of assault weapons?” Obama said this:

The right to defend ourselves transcends the use by the unlawful of firearms to commit crimes. As it stands, in my opinion, the ownership of firearms is already far over regulated. Some fear the ability of joe average citizen to own the same rifle issued to our military. Everyday I see news photos of what appear to be military forces operating around the nation in our densely populated cities and suburbs. On second glance I realize that the photos are not of soldiers but of police units garbed, armed and armored identically to military combat troops. I trust most fellow gun owners I know much more than paramilitary police forces to safely discharge live rounds in populated areas. An unpopular belief perhaps, but if the police are arming themselves with the highest tech firepower, then the citizenry ought to be similarly armed. As the last few decades have proven, no amount of gun control legislation prevents gang war, random shooting sprees or criminals in general from getting and using guns, nor the innocent from dying in the crossfire.

The way I see it, you can fear or hate firearms. You can vote for gun control proponents, and you can condemn those who carry or stockpile weapons. You can also rely on the police for defense and rescue from the clutches of the bad guys, but some day down the road, after you've surrendered your right and ability to bear arms and thus defend yourself and your family, your depedency on government employees as sole means of salvation may not go as planned. Just saying I'd rather be prepared with means of defense at hand as opposed to the dial (911) and pray method. At the end of the day, I think individually, we are our own best, first line of defense.
Pretty much agree.:clap2:

My apologies.

I do agree with the Bamsters, expcept for his inference to an outright ban.

I totally disagree with you no ban everybody should be armed and ban all gun free zones.

Assault weapons in the home and at the range are dandy, but not "in the streets".

Hell, I lived in a "nuclear-free zone". Urbana, IL city council Liberals saw fit to declare it so about 30 years ago LMAO.

The very weapons obama was talking about are the very weapons the courts have ruled protected by the second amendment.

Romney signs off on permanent assault weapons ban
12:00AM / Thursday, July 08, 2004
Governor Mitt Romney has signed into law a permanent assault weapons ban that he says will make it harder for criminals to get their hands on these guns.

"Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts," Romney said, at a bill signing ceremony on July 1 with legislators, sportsmen's groups and gun safety advocates. "These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."
Romney signs off on permanent assault weapons ban / iBerkshires.com - The Berkshires online guide to events, news and Berkshire County community information.
======================================
Obama says he will ban assault weapons, Romney has actually done it.
I guess he had an etch-a-sketch moment again.

I vote for my rights to defend myself any way I so choose, I'm not stupid enough to think the government will be there when needed, nor do I trust them. I trust them just about as much as I would Stalin or Moa.

You and everyone who gives a crap about this issue has known how they were going to vote before they even heard the name Barack Obama. Stroke your precious phallic symbol like a good little republican and cheer while your candidates trash the other less important amendments.
Without the second amendment their would not be any other amendments by now. So deal with it.
Do you actually think America would be as free as it is now without the second amendment?

Probably, lots of shitholes are full of guns while some pretty nice places have pretty strict laws. It's not guns that makes you free, it's your government's devotion to freedom and it's constitution. What we think of as gun based politics is a fairly recent development, some cities used to have some pretty strict bans but they have all been struck down, the gun lobby won and still lie to republicans telling them to be scared of the evil democrat gun grabbers.

The very weapons obama was talking about are the very weapons the courts have ruled protected by the second amendment.

Well, I wouldn't be worried. But then, we are dealing with Obama...

So you think the public should have access to m16s? What The fuck are we, the Congo?

Romney signs off on permanent assault weapons ban
12:00AM / Thursday, July 08, 2004
Governor Mitt Romney has signed into law a permanent assault weapons ban that he says will make it harder for criminals to get their hands on these guns.

"Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts," Romney said, at a bill signing ceremony on July 1 with legislators, sportsmen's groups and gun safety advocates. "These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."
Romney signs off on permanent assault weapons ban / iBerkshires.com - The Berkshires online guide to events, news and Berkshire County community information.
======================================
Obama says he will ban assault weapons, Romney has actually done it.
I guess he had an etch-a-sketch moment again.

Again how many of those swing states are pro gun?
the no labels party my ass. you are a dye in thew wool liberal democrat.

He seems to get what he wants in the end.
He wants a gun ban
Time to kick this piece of shit to the curb.

Colorado (9)
Florida (29)
Iowa (6)
Michigan (16)
Nevada (6)
New Hampshire (4)
North Carolina (15)
Ohio (18)
Pennsylvania (20)
Virginia (13)
Wisconsin (10)

But Romney is the only one of the two that has actually signed such a a ban.
Shouldn't you be more worried about his history, rather than Obama's words?

Colorado (9)
Florida (29)
Iowa (6)
Michigan (16)
Nevada (6)
New Hampshire (4)
North Carolina (15)
Ohio (18)
Pennsylvania (20)
Virginia (13)
Wisconsin (10)

But Romney is the only one of the two that has actually signed such a a ban.
Shouldn't you be more worried about his history, rather than Obama's words?

I think Romney has said
I'll paraphrase
"what worked in my state as governor will not work in other states."

He seems to get what he wants in the end.
He wants a gun ban
Time to kick this piece of shit to the curb.

Haven't you called him a liar in the past?
I'm sure he doesn't really mean what he says.
When you tell so many lies it hard to keep track of what you said in the past
obama slipped when he said what he did he let a little bit of his true self out.

Colorado (9)
Florida (29)
Iowa (6)
Michigan (16)
Nevada (6)
New Hampshire (4)
North Carolina (15)
Ohio (18)
Pennsylvania (20)
Virginia (13)
Wisconsin (10)

that isn't what he said. he said "seeing if it can be introduced" and "looking at other sources of the violence BECAUSE .... there's an awful lot of violence and they're not using AK-47's"

Forum List

Back