Obama to seek congress approval

I think it's a good thing that President Obama took the warnings to forgo coalition mediation and route the choice to the US alone.

As it should be.

imho
And I think the Congress is going to tell him NO resoundingly. From polls I've seen? The people are FED up, and I think another factor to his backtracking in his quest of legacy building...

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama says he has decided that the United States should take military action against Syria in response to a deadly chemical weapons attack.

But he says he will seek congressional authorization for the use of force.

He says congressional leadership plans to hold a debate and a vote as soon as Congress comes back in September.

Obama says he has the authority to act on his own, but believes it is important for the country to have a debate.

Military action would be in response to a chemical weapons attack the U.S. says Syrian President Bashar Assad's government carried out against civilians. The U.S. says more than 1,400 Syrians were killed in that attack last week.

That motherfucking TYRANT!!!!!! Impeach the fucking bastard for using the proper channels!

he doesn't need their approval right now. Hes got 60 days , hello, ala Libya.

and if it were so important and not a cover that his FP is in chaos, he would have gotten it months/year ago, when he made the red line statement, or after the first attack, or 2 weeks ago.....his hand would have been much firmer and having it fully committed to by congress maybe, the Brits might, as in possibly felt different...*shrugs*

This thing didn't start yesterday, hes had plenty of time......

He has indeed, and I think he's pissed his perpetual campaign trail of nonsense has been disrupted by real world nonsense.

Means he has to do his damn job for once...:eusa_whistle:

Al Qaeda now has state sponsorship again, this time its from Obama and the USA

They were created by Reagan and the GOP, gotta love em'! :eusa_hand:

uhm no sorry, operation cyclone;

On 3 July 1979, Carter signed a presidential finding authorizing funding for anticommunist guerrillas in Afghanistan.[2] Following the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan in December Operation Storm-333 and installation of a more pro-Soviet president, Babrak Karmal, Carter announced, "The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan is the greatest threat to peace since the Second World War".[10]

President Reagan greatly expanded the program as part of the Reagan Doctrine of aiding anti-Soviet resistance movements abroad. To execute this policy, Reagan deployed CIA Special Activities Division paramilitary officers to equip the Mujihadeen forces against the Red Army. Although the CIA and Texas Congressman Charlie Wilson have received the most attention for their roles, the key architect of the strategy was Michael G. Vickers, a young CIA paramilitary officer working for Gust Avrakotos, the CIA's regional head who had a close relationship with Wilson. Vicker's strategy was to use a broad mix of weapons, tactics, logistics, along with training programs, to enhance the rebels' ability to fight a guerilla war against the Soviets.[11][12] Reagan's program assisted in ending the Soviet's occupation in Afghanistan.[13][14] A Pentagon senior official, Michael Pillsbury, successfully advocated providing Stinger missiles to the Afghan resistance, according to recent books and academic articles.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone

ever heard of- Charlie Wilson (Texas politician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:rolleyes: hollywood even made a movie of him, proof that the dems hate commies too...

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. You reactionaries are so predictable.

I think this was planned...just another way to show we have become weak (we better pray for ourselves and the country) and to humiliate us all at the same time...

transformation isn't pretty is it??

:cuckoo:

if the Congress does not approve - this will save obama's face and this country from another unnecessary war.

Call your representatives NOW.

Has the congress ever denied Obama something he really wanted? No. I hope I'm wrong, but congress just wants to be relevant and part of the Washington game-playing.

Only presidential leadership could have kept us from continuing our warring ways. Presidents have set the agenda for war since Korea.

That's all the GOP crybabies do in congress is blocking everything, or wasting time trying to repeal the ACA.

All the faux outrage is nothing but a game from the GOP trash trying to call out the president thinking he was just going to send the missiles over because he doesn't need congressional approval per the constitution.

Obama pulled an excellent chess move by now throwing it on the GOP's lap (whom are going to approve it in a second because they are warmongers) and Obama can now say it's the GOP that wanted it.

Well done Mr. President :up:

Some would like to deceive themselves into thinking the desires of the American people who do not want a war in Syria do not matter. I am watching a massive American Anti War Campaign be birthed in my nation and it is awesome to behold. What Irony, the roles played by Institutions like moveon.org, town hall meetings organized by Quakers and Anti War groups. This Israeli plan to get the US to attack Syria is going to back fire big time against Israel. Americans are tired of fighting wars for Israel, killing innocent civilians in the ME for Israel. ENOUGH is Enough!

Reagan became BFF with your homeboys the muslim extremists giving them weapons, military training, and even invited them to the white house.

You get a triple F, plus a dunce cap.

Mujaheddin were fighting against your home team: USSR

Sucks to be you and on the wrong side of history 24/7/365

Reagan became BFF with your homeboys the muslim extremists giving them weapons, military training, and even invited them to the white house. Hell he even dedicated the space shuttle columbia to them that's how much Reagan loved islam.

You must take great pride in being the supporter of a party that created the taliban, the GOP, which attacked us on 9/11. You are truly a disgusting piece of shit.

The Taliban were not responsible for 9/11, Al Qaeda was.

if the Congress does not approve - this will save obama's face and this country from another unnecessary war.

Has the congress ever denied Obama something he really wanted? No. I hope I'm wrong, but congress just wants to be relevant and part of the Washington game-playing.

Only presidential leadership could have kept us from continuing our warring ways. Presidents have set the agenda for war since Korea.

That's all the GOP crybabies do in congress is blocking everything, or wasting time trying to repeal the ACA.

All the faux outrage is nothing but a game from the GOP trash trying to call out the president thinking he was just going to send the missiles over because he doesn't need congressional approval per the constitution.

Obama pulled an excellent chess move by now throwing it on the GOP's lap (whom are going to approve it in a second because they are warmongers) and Obama can now say it's the GOP that wanted it.

Translation..."I elected Obama to stop the wars going on and NOW I'm pissed that the Congress, the People, the world stopped him from launching another one..."

YOU are transparent.

Yea, they block a lot of crap that won't do much of anything anyway.

You never even made it past the 3rd grade, and your stupidity is astounding.

I see you as a solid Republican voter.

which proves that you have even less than F in simple logic :lol:

If Ronald Reagan created the Taliban how does the picture with him meeting them as equals proves that? :lol:

Frank is correct - you are low information, low IQ solid democratic voter :lol:

I didn't think it was possible to out stupid frank, then along comes Vox :cuckoo:

You to seem to love the fact your hero Reagan referred to muslim extremists as being on the same page as the founding fathers, but the GOP are basically terrorists, so it's fitting.

dumbo, you stated RR CREATED them and now you are backpedaling as your "dear leader" did :lol:

there is never a fool like a libtard one :eusa_whistle:

Actually he did several times.

But it was difficult because of extreme partisanship.

This one should have a bipartisan support - that is why I thin we need to call our representatives.
They will cave as well :D

Translation..."I elected Obama to stop the wars going on and NOW I'm pissed that the Congress, the People, the world stopped him from launching another one..."

YOU are transparent.

Translation "I am a right winger and I love war as the answer for everything, except for when the black guy tries it, then I hate it and make crap up like he's going to do it without my fellow right wing terrorist's approval. Not that he threw it back in my face and is letting my GOP leaders do what they wanted, they will vote for the strike, and then I will now support it because they told me to"

Obama has made it no secret he is the same way, so Obama can now officially join the (warmongers) club.

Even W later admitted Saddam never had WMD's.

again - you prove you are an idiot. and failed simple logic. Bush admitting they did not find WMD does not prove he lied and knew they don't have WMDs.

That was not the claim, silly. The claim was that W admitted he was wrong about WMDs, and he was. It was manly of W to do that. I remember hearing him say that if he had known that, he would not have invaded.

You need to stay on OP and be truthful, Vox.

As I said months ago, obabbles strategy is to fuck so many things up it becomes impossible for his critics to stay focused...so he gets away with everything. Good plan for him...bad plan for the country.

'

It also permits Obama to go to the Saint Petersburg conference without being skinned alive by his fellow world leaders.

Today's decision to let Congress decide what to do about Syria is probably correct...but that doesn't mean Obama made it because he loves the democratic process.

He made it because Bush wasn't around to blame for this new mess. He needed a new patsy, so congress gets to clean it up...and take the blame.

He made it because at heart he is a Chamberlain...and no Chamberlain can ever become a Churchill.

Putin and the ayatollahs are going to have a big time pushing Obama off the world stage.

Obama is probably hoping that the majority of Republicans back a strike and then they can take the blame.

I think assassinating Assad is the way to go.

Obama will never be a Churchill. He is the exact opposite of that great man, which is why he returned the bust of Churchill as soon as he took office.

Actually he did several times.

But it was difficult because of extreme partisanship.

This one should have a bipartisan support - that is why I thin we need to call our representatives.
They will cave as well :D

For those inclined, some rosary beads might be advisable and a trip to Fátima.

Obama has made it no secret he is the same way, so Obama can now officially join the (warmongers) club.

Obama has been pretty iron fisted when it comes to national security, and the GOP hate that.

He isn't a warmonger like the GOP, which you can guarantee would have had a full on invasion of Libya, which we likely would still be in, not to mention would also deploy the troops in full force to Syria if one of theirs was the president.

Forum List

Back