Obama Using War And Deployments To Suppress Military Voting

260310.jpg

What's the best way to assure that the strongest supporters for your opposition don't vote for him?

Just make sure he or she never gets a chance to vote. This is what Obama is doing inside the Pentagon. He's making sure that new laws assuring that soldiers will have a chance to vote in the upcoming election aren't implemented.

He is also suing the state of Ohio in an attempt to take away military voting rights. Obama campaign sues to restrict military voting in Ohio - Cincinnati veterans issues | Examiner.com

While troops register to vote with their home states, Congress in 2009 passed the Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act to help smooth the process. Defense Department figures show that while 77 percent of active duty military members were registered to vote in 2010, 29 percent reported that they never received the absentee ballots that they had requested, which was an increase from 16 percent in 2008, before the law meant to protect the military vote was even enacted. "It was supposed to make it easier for service members to register, request an absentee ballot and ultimately participate," Eversole notes. "With these low numbers, it raises serious questions ... whether that important federal law was actually implemented." Group warns of 'bleak' military voter participation despite Pentagon efforts | Fox News

lrs_120905-D-NI589-016c.jpg

.....Under laws passed in 2009, the Pentagon is supposed to have voting assistance offices for military members on each and every one of its bases. But an inspector general's review during this year's election cycle found more than half of those offices were completely unreachable.

The Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act included several provisions designed to improve voter participation by military members and civilians living overseas.

One of the biggest was to require DoD to set up full-time voter assistance offices on each of its bases around the world, except for those in war zones. DoD trying to fix holes in the military voter assistance program - FederalNewsRadio.com

Old news is old.

Ohio Early Voting Ruling: Court Orders State To Restore 3 Days Of Voting Before Election Day

A federal judge sided with the Obama campaign and ruled Friday to order Ohio to restore three days of early voting before Election Day, a decision that could affect the outcome of the 2012 election in a key battleground state.

Judge Peter C. Economus of the Southern District Court of Ohio granted an injunction in favor of Obama For America, the Democratic National Committee and the Ohio Democratic Party, which sued Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted to restore in-person voting in the last weekend before the election.

"On balance, the right of Ohio voters to vote in person during the last three days prior to Election Day -- a right previously conferred to all voters by the State -- outweighs the State's interest in setting the 6 p.m. Friday deadline," ruled the court. "The burden on Ohio voters' right to participate in the national and statewide election is great, as evidenced by the statistical analysis offered by Plaintiffs and not disputed by Defendants. Moreover, the State fails to articulate a precise, compelling interest in establishing the 6 p.m. Friday deadline as applied to non-UOCAVA [Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act] voters and has failed to evidence any commitment to the 'exception' it rhetorically extended to UOCAVA voters."

The dispute over military voting spilled into the presidential campaign earlier this month, when the Mitt Romney campaign falsely accused the Obama campaign of trying to curtail rights for military voters, characterizing the lawsuit as an "outrage" and an effort to deprive military voters of extra days to vote.

The Obama campaign lawsuit seeks to expand the voting period for all voters, not to deprive military voters of that opportunity. The judge sided with the Obama camp, calling the early voting restrictions "arbitrary."

Ohio Early Voting Ruling: Court Orders State To Restore 3 Days Of Voting Before Election Day

The suit was to allow early voting for EVERYONE not to deny the military early voting, you dumb fuck, and the Obama campaign won.

Obama tried to reduce the voting time for military absentees by 3 days as of Aug 3rd on the grounds it doesn't allow equal rights to all voters. The judge simply extended the early voting period for in person voters the extra 3 days to stop the squabbling.

Ohio House Bill Number 194, House Bill Number 224 and Senate Bill Number 295 were enacted by the 129th Ohio General Assembly. These laws allows voters using the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voter Act (“UOCAVA”) to vote early in-person at a board of elections office up through the Monday before Election Day, while non-UOCAVA voters can vote early in-person at a board of elections office (or designated alternate site) only up until 6 p.m. on the Friday before Election Day. Basically, the Ohio Legislature recognized the undue hardship imposed on those military men and women serving and provided an additional three days for them to vote.The lawsuit by the Obama campaign would eliminate the extra three days allowed the military.

“I find this move by the Obama campaign and the Democratic Party to be offensive,” said Prestanski. “In 2000, the Democratic party disenfranchised military voters using absentee ballots when key Democratic Party officials led a campaign to have numerous military ballots be disqualified .It was disgusting then and it is disgusting now.” Obama campaign sues to restrict military voting in Ohio - Cincinnati veterans issues | Examiner.com

Mud,

Is he suppressing votes arbitrarily by state? Or is he doing so based on party affiliation?

Mud,

Is he suppressing votes arbitrarily by state? Or is he doing so based on party affiliation?

The military vote is traditionally GOP so he's doing it by party affiliation.

Also he's focusing only in battleground states. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue in California or New York. Ohio is very important in this election and could swing to Romney. Every vote will count.

Lone, everyone with half a brain knows the real voter problem is the voter I'd laws, this is the standard rw switch and bait to bring the heat off them selves.

Yes....I know.

I am trying to get at Mud's estimate of how many swing state votes for Romney he thinks will be suppressed by this fantasy of his?

I was deployed overseas for well over half of the elections held while I was in the service. And since my home of record at that time was Illinois, absentee ballots were my only method of voting even when I wasn't out of CONUS. It was simple and quick and the ships I was on all had the forms to fill out to send in to request the ballots in a timely fashion. I quite frankly don't see what the big deal is.

What I'm trying to get across to you folks is Obama has changed all of that.

He's trying to sue states to keep them from making it easier for soldiers to vote and the new laws that were put in place by the Democrat controlled congress haven't been put into place.

Soldiers are going to find it harder to have their ballots counted. They won't even know that they weren't counted. Their absentee ballots will be ether rejected because they weren't signed or they didn't get it in in time. You won't be told when this happens.

Some never received ballots at all.

ANYONE's absentee ballot will be rejected if they are not signed or they do not bother to get them in on time. I am voting via absentee ballot this year, just like I used to do all the time in the service. I know enough to request my ballot in a timely fashion. I knew that when I was in the service as well, as does every other swinging dick in uniform.

What is different now is that the GOP propaganda machine wishes to muddy the water surrounding their obvious voter suppression tactics in swing states by accusing the opposition of voter suppression.

It is Rove 101.

No one expects any of you Zombie leftists to tell the truth when it comes to Obama so your opinion doesn't mean shit, ESPECIALLY concerning matters with the military. That SLUG Strolling Bones is indicitive of the disrespect LIBRULS have for the military.. It shouldn't surprise anyone.. Hell, you slimeballs Boo'd and kicked God out of your party..

There is no god.

Psalm 14:1-3 The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none that does good.

God himself calls you a fool. Congrats.. You prove my point about your limp-wristed party..You're a bunch of humanistic dopes. Thanks!

No one expects any of you Zombie leftists to tell the truth when it comes to Obama so your opinion doesn't mean shit, ESPECIALLY concerning matters with the military. That SLUG Strolling Bones is indicitive of the disrespect LIBRULS have for the military.. It shouldn't surprise anyone.. Hell, you slimeballs Boo'd and kicked God out of your party..

I thought I caught a whiff of low tide when I reentered this thread, your presence explains that.

260310.jpg

What's the best way to assure that the strongest supporters for your opposition don't vote for him?

Just make sure he or she never gets a chance to vote. This is what Obama is doing inside the Pentagon. He's making sure that new laws assuring that soldiers will have a chance to vote in the upcoming election aren't implemented.

No he isn't. A report came out and said that the program doesn't have enough money to implement the things that the bill required (despite already getting $75 million). Who controls the purse-strings?

He is also suing the state of Ohio in an attempt to take away military voting rights. Obama campaign sues to restrict military voting in Ohio - Cincinnati veterans issues | Examiner.com

No, he didn't. He sued to have the early voting rights RESTORED for ALL Ohioans, not restrict them for military.

While troops register to vote with their home states, Congress in 2009 passed the Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act to help smooth the process. Defense Department figures show that while 77 percent of active duty military members were registered to vote in 2010, 29 percent reported that they never received the absentee ballots that they had requested, which was an increase from 16 percent in 2008, before the law meant to protect the military vote was even enacted. "It was supposed to make it easier for service members to register, request an absentee ballot and ultimately participate," Eversole notes. "With these low numbers, it raises serious questions ... whether that important federal law was actually implemented." Group warns of 'bleak' military voter participation despite Pentagon efforts | Fox News

lrs_120905-D-NI589-016c.jpg

.....Under laws passed in 2009, the Pentagon is supposed to have voting assistance offices for military members on each and every one of its bases. But an inspector general's review during this year's election cycle found more than half of those offices were completely unreachable.

The Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act included several provisions designed to improve voter participation by military members and civilians living overseas.

One of the biggest was to require DoD to set up full-time voter assistance offices on each of its bases around the world, except for those in war zones. DoD trying to fix holes in the military voter assistance program - FederalNewsRadio.com

A bill introduced and passed in the Nancy Pelosi Congress by a Democrat and signed into law by Democrats is not currently properly being funded by Congress (even though the program has gotten $75 million over the last three years) and you're trying to say that the Democrats are trying to suppress the military vote? Really?

The Defense Department's Inspector General himself has said that these satellite offices are unnecessary.

Last edited:
absentee ballots
You do realize how hard it is to do that in a fox hole right.. To get the ballot and fill it out in time for the election.. This should not be that hard to set up a voting spot in war zones. Just saying.. These are the people who are fighting our freedom to vote they should be able to vote in the easiest way ..

OMG! It was NEVER the purpose of the law to set up voting BOOTHS in the fields. The law required voting ASSISTANCE offices at all bases...something the Defense Department Inspector General says in unnecessary and a waste of money.

IG: Drop Mandatory Base Voter Assistance Offices

I spent 2 hours of my day yesterday responding to and reaching out to overseas and military voters in my county, trying to ensure they are properly registered...so we can send them their ballots THIS WEEK.

how funny.....what does 9/11 have to do with the military...go on i am waiting?

for your information i have no hate of the military ....i simply dont put before on a pedestal due to their jobs

Lone, everyone with half a brain knows the real voter problem is the voter I'd laws, this is the standard rw switch and bait to bring the heat off them selves.

Explain why black folks need a picture I.D. to get in to strip clubs, buy cigs, attended the DNC or any Democrat event, even to buy Obama's mugs and T-shirts, but they can't be forced to produce one to assure they aren't breaking election laws?

Explain why black folks need a picture I.D. to get in to strip clubs, buy cigs, attended the DNC or any Democrat event, even to buy Obama's mugs and T-shirts, but they can't be forced to produce one to assure they aren't breaking election laws?

because all of what you mentioned are not rights, voting is a RIGHT, simple people like should be able to follow this mud.

how funny.....what does 9/11 have to do with the military...go on i am waiting?

for your information i have no hate of the military ....i simply dont put before on a pedestal due to their jobs

Apparently not.

Accusing us all collectively of abusing our enemies sure doesn't seem like pandering to me.

I wonder what you would say if our soldiers started sawing their heads off on video. That would be unforgivable, yet they do it to our guys whenever the opportunity arises. Or how about sneaking up behind them and shooting them in the back of the head just for fun. That would really piss you off, wouldn't it?

Forum List

Back