Obama Vetoes 9/11 Bill, Defends Saudi Arabia from Lawsuits

There are sound reasons not to allow private citizens to sue sovereign nations in American lawsuits. The possibility of retaliation is one of them. Imagine the flood of lawsuits if foreign courts allowed their citizens to sue the United States government for its military actions abroad. I don't like President Obama one bit, but this one time, he has made a correct decision.

As much as those families deserve money from SA, i think Obama made the right move. It would cause many more problems than it would fix. Its not fair, but the veto is in our best interests, unfortunately.

I think a good alternative would be for the US to pressure SA to give up the money freely.

Obama Vetoes 9/11 Bill, Defends Saudi Arabia from Lawsuits - Breitbart does this really suprise anyone??? obama hates america...everything he does is geared to cripple, hinder or tear down the country... he's an anti-American muslim!!! he wasn't born in America...he was born in Kenya!!!! this guy needs to be tried for treason and hung .....a Godless lying muslim rat!!!

I wonder why repubs failed to present a similar bill to president bush ? They more than had the opportunity to do so!

Obama Vetoes 9/11 Bill, Defends Saudi Arabia from Lawsuits - Breitbart does this really suprise anyone??? obama hates america...everything he does is geared to cripple, hinder or tear down the country... he's an anti-American muslim!!! he wasn't born in America...he was born in Kenya!!!! this guy needs to be tried for treason and hung .....a Godless lying muslim rat!!!

Think about the consequences of this bill. If people can sue Saudi Arabia, can they sue the US government? Can Iraqis sue the US for every killing?

As for your ranting.......

As much as those families deserve money from SA, i think Obama made the right move. It would cause many more problems than it would fix. Its not fair, but the veto is in our best interests, unfortunately.

I think a good alternative would be for the US to pressure SA to give up the money freely.

Why do they deserve it from Saudi Arabia? How about from the US govt? I mean, US foreign policy from the end of WW2 led up to 9/11 and the anger of Muslims against the US didn't just appear out of nowhere.

Why do they deserve it from Saudi Arabia? How about from the US govt? I mean, US foreign policy from the end of WW2 led up to 9/11 and the anger of Muslims against the US didn't just appear out of nowhere.
Sorry, i dont respond to retards, other than to call them retards.

Might as well put you on the ignore list too.

Happens all the time under NAFTA, as it will under TPP and that Caribbean 'trade' scam. Obama doesn't seem to mind those deals.

Yes, it's clear that's going to have to a policy for all sane people here; these vermin are clearly so far out to lunch and mindless shills any conversing with them is completely pointless.

Might as well put you on the ignore list too.

Put me on your's too; it's annoying to get alerts from vermin.

These fucking right wingers. Don't they understand that if this bill passes, American Iraqi's can file lawsuits against this country for killing family members in Iraq????????????? There is no statute of limitations.

No one wants to appear to be against 9/11 victims just before an election. But the GOP didn't have to bring this to the floor.

Didn't the US Govt already pay them? I thought the families were given some kind of settlement by the government? I have no idea the amount and it probably wasn't enough but didn't they get one?

If the Senate and house truly want to over ride, then they are going to have to RECORD their votes and get the votes to over ride the veto.

First time around it was merely a voice vote....this time around they will have to put their money where their mouth is and names of those agreeing or disagreeing will have to be recorded.... let's see what they do then....

There are sound reasons not to allow private citizens to sue sovereign nations in American lawsuits. The possibility of retaliation is one of them. Imagine the flood of lawsuits if foreign courts allowed their citizens to sue the United States government for its military actions abroad. I don't like President Obama one bit, but this one time, he has made a correct decision.
Yeah, I wrote a thread in the politics section making the same point.

These fucking right wingers. Don't they understand that if this bill passes, American Iraqi's can file lawsuits against this country for killing family members in Iraq????????????? There is no statute of limitations.

No one wants to appear to be against 9/11 victims just before an election. But the GOP didn't have to bring this to the floor.
Ranking Democrats like Scumer and Pelosi are pushing this too, fuckstick.

Didn't the US Govt already pay them? I thought the families were given some kind of settlement by the government? I have no idea the amount and it probably wasn't enough but didn't they get one?

I don't know. But a bill that is an attack on another country really isn't going to go down well.

The President is right on this one.

"A who lives in a glass house should not throw stones."

The USA is far m ore vulnerable to lawsuits world wide than any one else; therefore we should not open this Pandora's Box of lawsuit horse shit, especially with Trump winning the White House this November.

Congress considerin' override to Obama's veto of 9/11 bill...
fingerscrossed.gif

Obama vetoes 9/11 bill; Congress mulls override
Sun, Sep 25, 2016 - US INTERESTS: The US president said the bill could backfire by exposing the nation to lawsuits by anyone accusing the US government of supporting terrorism
US President Barack Obama on Friday rejected a bill that would have allowed the families of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to sue the government of Saudi Arabia, saying it undermined national security and setting up the possibility Congress might override his veto for the first time in his presidency. Obama’s move escalates the fight over an emotional issue that has overlapped with the campaign debate over terrorism and the Middle East. The bill had sailed through both chambers of the US Congress with bipartisan support, clearing the final hurdle just days before the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, which killed nearly 3,000 people in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

The president said the bill, which does not refer specifically to Saudi Arabia, could backfire by opening up the US government and its officials to lawsuits by anyone accusing the US of supporting terrorism, rightly or wrongly. “I have deep sympathy for the families of the victims of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001,” Obama wrote to the Senate in a veto message about the bill, the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA). However, “the JASTA would be detrimental to US national interests more broadly,” he said. Congress is determined to try to overturn the veto, which requires a two-thirds vote in the House and Senate. Previous attempts to overturn Obama’s vetoes have all been unsuccessful.

US House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat, has said an override would pass in the Republican-controlled House. Yet the Senate would be the greater challenge. After furious lobbying to try to peel off supporters, the White House on Friday said it was unclear whether enough had defected to avert an override. With lawmakers eager to return home to campaign, a vote could come early next week. US Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s office said the Senate would vote “as soon as practicable in this work period.”

US Senator Chuck Schumer, the Senate’s No. 3 Democrat and a traditional Obama ally, came out swinging against Obama, while predicting lawmakers would reverse it “swiftly and soundly.” “The families of the victims of 9/11 deserve their day in court, and justice for those families shouldn’t be thrown overboard because of diplomatic concerns,” Schumer said. A coalition of 9/11 victims’ families said they were “outraged and dismayed.” In a response circulated by their lawyers, the families insisted the bill would deter terrorism, “no matter how much the Saudi lobbying and propaganda machine may argue otherwise.”

MORE

The last I heard, Ryan's doing all kinds of belly aching over having to override the Presidents veto. Probably won't happen.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back