Obama Won't Attend Gettysburg Address Remembrance

No he wasn't.

Check your timelines if you want to play.

May I recommend the BBC?

He was in Texas the day before to give a speach at Brooks Air Force Base. That would be the 21st. Before that, he was in Florida.

NOV. 19, 1963 (TUESDAY): Sends a presidential statement to be read at the Centennial Ceremony in Gettysburg National Military Park, where Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address.

No, he did NOT attend.

You're welcome.

Of course he didn't attend. JFK was a true blue Dem who made no bones about detesting anything R.

Fast forward to now. This D President who has made a career out of loving all things Lincoln and attempting to emulate Lincoln's greatness has just dissed the crap out of this anniversary.

Hey you deal with this idiot. He's yours. If you want to smear more of O on your body for him dissing this event by all means do so.

Oh, lord! I have to go through every damn POTUS who ever ran the country?

Last edited:
You're switching gears on me here. Tis ok.

:lol:

You were insinuating that if Kennedy had attended Gettysburg 100th he wouldn't have gotten offed.

But alas you had your dates wrong and now are trying to spin your way out of it.

I think that if his schedule had included a trip to Gettysburg on the 19th, he would not have gone to Dallas on the 22nd

Can you point out any President who attended festivities honoring the Gettysburg address or point to the dozens of Republicans who will be attending this year?

Otherwise, admit you are full of shit with your "outrage"

Stop squiggling.

We had planes back then you know.

And apparently there were quite a number of presidents who have gone to Gettysburg. Trying to wrap up my garden bulbs in particular some precious cannas so I don't have my stick on the ice for this discussion 24/7 but hey Obama really freaking blew his load fucking up this one.

Deal with it. Just another fuck up.

Hey having been in promo almost all my life, I just also think it sucks that no one in the WH thought ...............gee this would get him good PR.

I guess they are too busy getting stoned out these days.

Eisenhower had a farm next to the battlefield

Name one who went to honor the Gettysburg address
Better yet, name a republican who will honor a great republican

Republicans refused to honor the Martin Luther King speech, you can be sure they won't honor Lincoln

Republicans refused to honor the Martin Luther King speech, you can be sure they won't honor Lincoln

Rightwinger - you made everyone leave!

How dare you!

Obama honored Martin Luther King and he was a Republican
No Republican showed though....same as at Gettysburg

Too busy shutting down the Government

Truth be told, I cannot fault ANYONE in the govermnent for NOT going to anything. I couldn't care less if republicans didn't show - I hope that they were working on our countries problems.

Imagine the outrage from the right if he was attending

Yes, better that he not attend.

How he compares himself to Lincoln is insufferable enough when Lincoln isn't the subject at hand. It would be over the top if Lincoln was to be the main topic and Obama was given an hour to wax on.

Glad he chose not to go.

Imagine the outrage from the right if he was attending

Yes, better that he not attend.

How he compares himself to Lincoln is insufferable enough when Lincoln isn't the subject at hand. It would be over the top if Lincoln was to be the main topic and Obama was given an hour to wax on.

Glad he chose not to go.

Me too, otherwise we would NOT have had this little gem of a thread to discuss ~

Obama won't attend Gettysburg Address remembrance

GETTYSBURG, Pa. — President Barack Obama will not attend next month's event marking the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address in Pennsylvania, national park officials said.

U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell will instead represent the administration the Nov. 19 sesquicentennial, officials at Gettysburg National Military Park said Wednesday.

Jewell and historian James McPherson will share the role of keynote speaker. Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett also plans to attend the ceremony.

McPherson, a top Civil War historian who won the Pulitzer for "Battle Cry of Freedom," said he was surprised by Obama's decision.

"I thought he would probably come. He identifies with Lincoln and knows a great deal about him," McPherson said in an interview. "It might have been an opportunity for him to say something important, maybe enhance a tarnished image. He's going through a rough patch right now."

Lincoln delivered the immortal words of the address at a dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery on Nov. 19, 1863, more than four months after the Civil War's pivotal battle. More than 3,500 Union soldiers killed in the Battle of Gettysburg are buried there.

Other events scheduled for the commemoration include a reading of the Gettysburg Address by a Lincoln portrayer

hes to busy fixing the website...or wait, is that a Sunday?:eusa_eh:

Fooouuur!!!!!:lol:

He could close off one of those big ass civil war cemeteries and play some golf there! I've toured several of the killing fields of the War between the states. Some of them are HUGE!

What an incredible waste of lives to have to convince some really stupid people that it is wrong to buy and sell human beings.

Last edited:

Of course,
if it is not about him or if he can't use it to promote himself
the narcissist would have no reason to go

(Raises hand) do presidents usually attend?

Do the same folks have this every year?

Does Obama need this as part of his learn'n?

Edit: How many prior presidents have attended this event? Waiting for an answer....

Doesn't matter. Right wingers hate Obama. They hate him most of all because he's black.

Obama's Stunning Snub | RealClearPolitics

In 2008, Barack Obama rolled out his presidential campaign in Springfield, Ill., where Lincoln announced his own presidential candidacy. Throughout that year’s campaign, Obama’s staff embraced similarities between the two men as part of his persona; he allowed them to encourage lofty comparisons – and, after he won the election, he recreated Lincoln’s 1861 train trip to Washington as part of his own inaugural spectacle.

He even took the oath of office on Lincoln’s Bible – twice.

Lincoln brought the country to a revival at an unlikely time with his address. He gave new meaning to the definition of sacrifice in service to the country, for the purpose of the preserving the country.

Lincoln was asked to speak here only as an afterthought. The request for Obama to speak has been sought for more than a year.

It would be an occasion for him to honor a crucial time in our past, to create a historical bridge to today.

His dismissal of the request shows a man so detached from the duty of history, from the men who served in the White House before him, that it is unspeakable in its audacity.

Ask almost any person in this historic town; even his most ardent supporters here are stunned.

Obama long ago veered away from any affinity he may have believed he had with Lincoln, which gives credibility to the criticism that his connection to Lincoln was always a political calculation rather than a true bond.

Of course,
if it is not about him or if he can't use it to promote himself
the narcissist would have no reason to go

(Raises hand) do presidents usually attend?

Do the same folks have this every year?

Does Obama need this as part of his learn'n?

Edit: How many prior presidents have attended this event? Waiting for an answer....

Doesn't matter. Right wingers hate Obama. They hate him most of all because he's black.

And yet I voted for Alan Keyes and think Clarence Thomas is one of the few members of the court worth listening to...

Forum List

Back