Obamacare and the price of gorceries

Food prices have been driven up in direct relation to fuel prices. Making fuel out of food (one of Bush's most foolish actions while he was in office- the Ethanol Mandate) in the form of Ethanol is clearly the dumbest move ever perpetrated in the name of the environment. Ethanol is a prime factor driving starvation in third world countries, because it's driving up prices of crops which used to be cheap, and readily available. Now, not so much. Like all Liberal agendas, it isn't about how many bodies pile up, it's whether their agenda is realized and in this case, it is their irrational hatred of Big Oil. To them killing people is merely collateral damage as long as evil Oil corporations are made to pay the price. Even though they never do. They just pass their losses onto the consumer while Liberals jump for joy in the false belief that they have made an impact, and somehow saved the planet by making people who are less fortunate unable to fill their gas tanks. What a truly demented bunch Liberals are.

Truthseeker -

The only way it will cost jobs is if people stop eating.

It's funny - I doubt food labeling cost a single job when it was introduced in Europe - and neither do I remember anyone whining about being better informed.

Ethanol is a prime factor driving starvation in third world countries, because it's driving up prices of crops which used to be cheap, and readily available.

Not really, because very little ethanol is produced from crops in the Third World - more often palm oil is used and that isn't a foodstuff.

The biggest issue for the Third World is the refusal of the US and Europe to offer free trade on cotton and sugar - a move largely backed by the GOP.

It's ironic, isn't it? The US, particularly the GOP, actually oppose fair and free trade, because they want to prop up inefficient Texan cotton farmers.

The following quote sums up why this is fascist bullshit. More government regulating run amok and fucking up, our economy!

An Executive Order issued by President Obama in 2011 says agencies are supposed to calculate a cost-benefit analysis for each new regulation and attempt to use the least burdensome regulatory methods possible. Critics of the FDA's food labeling proposal say the agency didn't comply.

Read more: Supermarkets cry foul as FDA proposes new food labeling rule under ObamaCare | Fox News

The following quote sums up why this is fascist bullshit. More government regulating run amok and fucking up, our economy!

An Executive Order issued by President Obama in 2011 says agencies are supposed to calculate a cost-benefit analysis for each new regulation and attempt to use the least burdensome regulatory methods possible. Critics of the FDA's food labeling proposal say the agency didn't comply.

Read more: Supermarkets cry foul as FDA proposes new food labeling rule under ObamaCare | Fox News

Knowing what is in the food you eat is "facist bullshit"?
I have to respectfully sound the hyperbole alarm on that one.

Again.. this is a power granted to the Executive WHERE???

in the affordable healthcare act I believe.
Passed by congress, signed by the president and upheld by the supreme court. What more do you need?

Passed by congress, signed by the president and upheld by the supreme court. What more do you need?

That does not grant power to the executive branch.. The executive branch (just like every other federal government branch) is only given power in one place

The government does not give itself power on a whim.... that is precisely why we have a constitution

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Last edited:

That does not grant power to the executive branch.. The executive branch (just like every other federal government branch) is only given power in one place

The government does not give itself power on a whim.... that is precisely why we have a constitution

One of the provisions in the affordable healthcare act calls for this labeling.
It passed congress, it was signed by the president and it was upheld by the Supreme Court.

I'm not sure how you get that this is the president alone.

It passed congress, it was signed by the president and it was upheld by the Supreme Court.

Bad legislation is written all the time.. and even upheld by the 'court'

But the FACT remains that the government does not get to give itself power (into any branch) by legislation...

There is one place and one place only to grant power to the fed... and there is one process and one process only to ratify that power and to amend the document where the power is listed

But the FACT remains that the government does not get to give itself power (into any branch) by legislation...

There is one place and one place only to grant power to the fed... and there is one process and one process only to ratify that power and to amend the document where the power is listed

So you say food labeling requires a Constitutional Amendment?

Sorry, that ship sailed a long time ago. If you want to prevent such regulation/legislation, then YOU are the one who needs to get an amendment passed. I know how YOU read the Constitution. SCOTUS and the vast majority disagree with you. So - from a purely practical standpoint - you need to pass an amendment.

Unless someone is a health food fanatic, anyone bellying up to a salad bar isnt going to read all the fine print above the item anyway.

You want consumers to be more aware of whether an item is healthy or not use the KISS method. Just use large red (stop and think about putting that in your container and subsequently your gut), yellow (take some, but not too much) and green (eat as much as you want) stickers above the item.

Sorry, that ship sailed a long time ago. If you want to prevent such regulation/legislation, then YOU are the one who needs to get an amendment passed. I know how YOU read the Constitution. SCOTUS and the vast majority disagree with you. So - from a purely practical standpoint - you need to pass an amendment.

For the federal government to assume a new power, it must be granted and ratified by the states.... This is not in question.... I have the constitution backing me up

Whether the government has wrongly assumed powers not granted to it in the past is irrelevant.. the rule still stands.. even if there are plenty of people like you who have turned a blind eye to the federal government's abuse of power and overreaching of authority.. in each and every branch

For the federal government to assume a new power, it must be granted and ratified by the states.... This is not in question.... I have the constitution backing me up

Whether the government has wrongly assumed powers not granted to it in the past is irrelevant.. the rule still stands.. even if there are plenty of people like you who have turned a blind eye to the federal government's abuse of power and overreaching of authority.. in each and every branch

You are one of the few how think you have the Constitution backing you up.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but don't be fooled into thinking that it is any more than that - just one opinion. It is not the authoritative word. Your position has been consistently defeated in the courts and at the ballot box.

Remain calm- they've thought of ways to make it easy- that you don't hear from your BS propaganda... Pub dupes! The sky is not falling. Ay caramba. Fegging fools...

Hey, it's Frankie the human spambot! Do you have anything INTELLIGENT to add?

I thought not.

Obama did this with Fast Food businesses last year. He's driving up prices any way he can.

It is truly terrifying to think that American consumers might be better informed about what they are eating.

Hitler was all about listing ingredients.
p

If they really understood what they were eating they wouldn't buy it.

That isn't purpose here.

Apparently our benevolent, all knowing, father is not satisfied with driving up the cost of health care, so he has passed down the word that we need to drive up the price of the salad bar in the grocery store.

If the Food and Drug Administration gets its way, your trip to the grocery store could get a tad pricier.
Supermarket owners argue a pending federal food-labeling rule that stems from the new health care law would overburden thousands of grocers and convenience store owners -- to the tune of $1 billion in the first year alone.
Store owner Tom Heinen said the industry's profit margins already are razor thin. "When you incur a significant cost, there is no way that that doesn't get passed on to the customer in some form," he said.
The rule stems from an ObamaCare mandate that restaurants provide nutrition information on menus. Most in the restaurant industry were supportive of the idea, but when the FDA decided to extend the provision to also affect thousands of supermarkets and convenience stores, the backlash was swift.
The proposed regulation would require store owners to label prepared, unpackaged foods found in salad bars and food bars, soups and bakery items. Erik Lieberman, regulatory counsel at the Food Marketing Institute, said testing foods for nutritional data will require either expensive software or even more costly off-site laboratory assessments.

What Americans eat and how much of it, probably cranks up the cost of healthcare in America as much as Obamacare.
If you folks are so concerned about the cost of healthcare you had better change the way you eat and what you eat.

Health care costs to bulge along with U.S. waistlines

Health care costs to bulge along with U.S. waistlines - CNN.com

Rising obesity will cost U.S. health care $344 billion a year
Rising obesity will cost U.S. health care $344 billion a year - USATODAY.com

It's obvious and it effects everyone's cost of healthcare and yet people bitch about nutrition guidance and then blame others for the sky-rocketing cost of healthcare

Last edited:
when did that become the governments Job? or any of you people business WHAT OTHERS EAT?

It is the government's job to ensure people can make informed choices about what they buy and eat.

No it isn't.

Transparent food packaging means that you will know what you buy when you buy it.

You mean you don't know celery, lettuce and tomatoes when you see them?

Unless someone is a health food fanatic, anyone bellying up to a salad bar isnt going to read all the fine print above the item anyway.

You want consumers to be more aware of whether an item is healthy or not use the KISS method. Just use large red (stop and think about putting that in your container and subsequently your gut), yellow (take some, but not too much) and green (eat as much as you want) stickers above the item.

And that makes sense because nobody has food allergies. :lol:

Forum List

Back