Obamacare and the price of gorceries

Salad bars are not healthful. They are generally high fat. People think they are eating a healthful meal because it is 'salad,' but much of the food in a salad bar is high fat and high starch. Good health care goes hand in hand with good medical care. If people bring on disease and illness through personal habits, they bring up the cost of health care. When that health care is everyone's responsibility through taxation, then everyone has the right to try to encourage people to live a healthier lifestyle.

One reason insurance companies failed in providing low cost health insurance is because so many people needed the insurance to pay for illness and disease brought on by poor lifestyle choices. The majority of right wing conservatives do not have higher education and high incomes. Those are the type of people who make poor health care choices. Then everyone pays for it. There is another thread here about Atlas Shrugged and 'personal responsibility.' But the majority of right wing conservatives do not take personal responsibility for their health and expect insurance companies or the government to foot the bill for the ensuing health care costs. Republicans like to think they are the ones paying for things like abortion or birth control or health care of minorities on welfare. The truth is that most of the money going to health care is because of people's poor lifestyle choices bringing on disease and illness, that the cost of abortions is miniscule compared to that, and that the majority of people on welfare are white and as often as not conservative republicans.

100% correct.

Our diets affect our health in myriad ways. The deep-fried sugar and white flour diets we suck down in abundance every day is killing us, yet expensive technology exists to counter the terrible food we eat and the diseases they cause and allow us to live longer. People gotta pay for their poor lifestyles. Unfortunately, healthy people are paying for the people with poor lifestyles too. And the Republicans are the first to bitch if any attempt is made to curb the crap diets kids are eating these days.

Eating "properly", obviously did not help the First Lady not to develop a more massive cellulite on her enormous behind than on any recent beef-eating, sugar-loving, sensibly-eating gracious First Ladies, who knew enough manners to stay out of other people's kitchens.

Common sense dictates that one can eat EVERYTHING in moderation. Sky-is-falling attitude is the last resort of those who lack will power to exercize common sense.

Normal people, who read food labels, and buy their groceries accordingly, also know that only stupid people would consider ONLY adding a year or two to their miserable lives, while those who enjoy life would prefer LIFE to their years.

Salad bars are not healthful. They are generally high fat. People think they are eating a healthful meal because it is 'salad,' but much of the food in a salad bar is high fat and high starch. Good health care goes hand in hand with good medical care. If people bring on disease and illness through personal habits, they bring up the cost of health care. When that health care is everyone's responsibility through taxation, then everyone has the right to try to encourage people to live a healthier lifestyle.

One reason insurance companies failed in providing low cost health insurance is because so many people needed the insurance to pay for illness and disease brought on by poor lifestyle choices. The majority of right wing conservatives do not have higher education and high incomes. Those are the type of people who make poor health care choices. Then everyone pays for it. There is another thread here about Atlas Shrugged and 'personal responsibility.' But the majority of right wing conservatives do not take personal responsibility for their health and expect insurance companies or the government to foot the bill for the ensuing health care costs. Republicans like to think they are the ones paying for things like abortion or birth control or health care of minorities on welfare. The truth is that most of the money going to health care is because of people's poor lifestyle choices bringing on disease and illness, that the cost of abortions is miniscule compared to that, and that the majority of people on welfare are white and as often as not conservative republicans.

100% correct.

Our diets affect our health in myriad ways. The deep-fried sugar and white flour diets we suck down in abundance every day is killing us, yet expensive technology exists to counter the terrible food we eat and the diseases they cause and allow us to live longer. People gotta pay for their poor lifestyles. Unfortunately, healthy people are paying for the people with poor lifestyles too. And the Republicans are the first to bitch if any attempt is made to curb the crap diets kids are eating these days.

when did that become the governments Job? or any of you people business WHAT OTHERS EAT?

Maybe in your country it is because you are all too stupid to know and make you own choices

Possibly - but then my country enjoys considerably higher levels of education and literacy than yours does.

Let me explain how this works - you want to buy a pack of pasta sauce, but your daughter is allergic to pine nuts.

With this kind of law, pine nuts will be listed clearly on the label. If it is only trace elements, the label will tell you that too.

I'm not sure why this would be a majot problem for you.

Pine nuts in pasta sauce?

100% correct.

when did that become the governments Job? or any of you people business WHAT OTHERS EAT?

Maybe in your country it is because you are all too stupid to know and make you own choices

Possibly - but then my country enjoys considerably higher levels of education and literacy than yours does.

Let me explain how this works - you want to buy a pack of pasta sauce, but your daughter is allergic to pine nuts.

With this kind of law, pine nuts will be listed clearly on the label. If it is only trace elements, the label will tell you that too.

^Perfect example of an uneducated consumer.

It's very tough for me to understand how folks can stand up against information.

"No ... no ... I'd rather remain stupid ....."

REALLY????

It is our business what other people eat because poor eating habits lead to health problems which cause higher health care costs which everyone pays for. When people think they are making a healthy choice by going to a salad bar, and when, in fact, it isn't a healthy choice, they should know about it. A salad bar meal can be higher in fat and starches than a Big Mac meal. People don't realize that.

You see people, liberals want in all of your business until it come to ABORTIONS
scratch a liberal find a FASCIST

Actually, we'd just rather have have elected officials make decisions than an unaccountable PS.

So it's absolutely the government's job to ensure disclosure of potentially necessary information.

It's very tough for me to understand how folks can stand up against information.

"No ... no ... I'd rather remain stupid ....."

REALLY????

Against information??

I want you to be able to go get whatever information you want.. bug the hell out of people.. demand it of those you do business with... knock yourself out

But the government is not in existence to ensure your salad bar has caloric information, or that Oscar Meyer lists the name of the pig making your bologna, or that there are exactly 74 poppy seeds on your muffin

It's the margins that some chains operate at. If the cost to implement these new information requirements is accurate and I am taking the the article's statement at face value, then the possibility of closing a section of the store is a real possibility. To provide you with an example I know fairly well and that you might understand, in Europe hypermarkets generate a significant percentage of their revenues on listing fees - brands have to pay the stores a fee (not a small amount) to be on their shelves. With hypermarkets they also have to agree to a number of product promotions each year. On top of that, brands often have to agree to virtually break-even pricing because hypermarkets are ruthless negotiators and offer large volume sales to the brands.

I take your point, but the costs incurred by supermarkets will probably be infinitesimal. I can't imagine any business closing because of this.

I remember when VAT was introduced here, the wailing about businesses closing was hysterical for months. In reality, no businesses closed - they just adapted. The costs were not great at all.

Consumers should support this, and I imagine most do and will.

Pine nuts in pasta sauce is like mustard in a cheesecake.

Sure, some people might like it, but it would be on the outside boundary of any normalcy, or it would be some politically correct common-sense-defying crap, that typifies hypocrites.

Sure, some people might like it, but it would be on the outside boundary of any normalcy, or it would be some politically correct common-sense-defying crap, that typifies hypocrites.
Or it would be Italian. Bigoted, much?

Not in Italy, it isn't.

Pine Nut Pasta Sauce Recipes | Yummly

Some of those recipes actually sound delicious. I might try them and if I like them, I will be sure to let you know, and express my thank.

Or it would be Italian. Bigoted, much?

Calling someone you disagree with bigoted is the undisputed purview of
Democrats. Like YOU.

Some of those recipes actually sound delicious. I might try them and if I like them, I will be sure to let you know, and express my thank.

Excellent!!

I actually used pine nuts as a reference to pesto, but in Italy I have had them in sauces with cream and perhaps mushrooms. I'm a big fan of some of the regional Italian cuisine from Firenze and Sienna, but it's not easy to find outside Italy itself.

Against information??

I want you to be able to go get whatever information you want.. bug the hell out of people.. demand it of those you do business with... knock yourself out

But the government is not in existence to ensure your salad bar has caloric information, or that Oscar Meyer lists the name of the pig making your bologna, or that there are exactly 74 poppy seeds on your muffin

Fair enough. So you think the clerk behind the counter knows how everything is prepared?

So your position would be, "if they can't supply you with the information you want, don't buy their stuff. And the free market will determine what information is shared." Am I right?

I get that and I can appreciate your position if I have assessed it correctly.

But in looking back through American history, I've concluded that free market principles alone just haven't done a good enough job. I don't favor burdensome, senseless regulations. But this just makes sense to me.

Against information??

Fair enough. So you think the clerk behind the counter knows how everything is prepared?

So your position would be, "if they can't supply you with the information you want, don't buy their stuff. And the free market will determine what information is shared." Am I right?

I get that and I can appreciate your position if I have assessed it correctly.

But in looking back through American history, I've concluded that free market principles alone just haven't done a good enough job. I don't favor burdensome, senseless regulations. But this just makes sense to me.

Is it on the clerk if the company does not have it as a standard? Do you have to shop there if the company has standards that are against what you want? Can you and other customers demand change, refuse purchase, etc??

Whether you think it has been good enough is irrelevant.. It is not government's job.. if you want it to be, spearhead the amendment needed

This was already parroted by another right winger days ago.

Parroted accurately.

Obama did this with Fast Food businesses last year. He's driving up prices any way he can.

Gas, cigs, booze, food, utilities, everything.

Now why would he want to hit the poor and the Middle-class so hard?

Answer: A broke voter is a desperate voter.

Whether you think it has been good enough is irrelevant.. It is not government's job.. if you want it to be, spearhead the amendment needed

I would say that your opinion of what is and what is not the role of government is what is irrelevant here.

We tried it your way. We got deadly workplaces, 70 hour work weeks, the Johnstown flood, severed fingers in our sausage, etc ...

We decided we didn't like it so we started requiring more and more transparency.

Forum List

Back