🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Obamaphone program riddled with fraud audit

This is what to me seems like a dead give-way as being fake news. I figure if they "found" something then they would know for "sure" and it wouldn't be one of those "may" or "may not" sort of things. But then it is said to be based on a government report, that may explain it.

To clarify, the “Obama Cell Phone” program has provided 269,000 poor Americans with free phones and monthly service at a cost of over $1.6 billion dollars to the taxpayer, a figure that keeps rising every year.

the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes, and the president has nothing to do with it.

We, the govt, pay a subsidy for each phone.

Providing Cellphones for the Poor

Government Subsidized Cell Phones To Be Offered To California's Poor And Homeless | HuffPost

This is what to me seems like a dead give-way as being fake news. I figure if they "found" something then they would know for "sure" and it wouldn't be one of those "may" or "may not" sort of things. But then it is said to be based on a government report, that may explain it.

To clarify, the “Obama Cell Phone” program has provided 269,000 poor Americans with free phones and monthly service at a cost of over $1.6 billion dollars to the taxpayer, a figure that keeps rising every year.

the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes, and the president has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Yep
Virgin Extends Government's Free Cell Phone Program
yeah, huge government contract given to Virgin for the obamaphone.

You know, this guy:

170207-richard-branson-barack-obama-1105a_79a49398d7bd554a187eec4b0b103886.nbcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg

you funny.

you funny.

Read the link I believe bulldog provided.

you funny.

I did. You funny. So is he.

Read the links I supplied

you funny.

you funny.

Nope, you may be able to blame a lot on obama but he did not start it. Obama did a stupid thing and penned his name to it.

you funny.

Nope, you may be able to blame a lot on obama but he did not start it. Obama did a stupid thing and penned his name to it.

Yes, it was a tiny little program that was reserved for just a few people and it was carefully monitored.

Then there was Obama. He took one look at that and thought, hey, I can funnel some money to my buds...

"“The program has nearly tripled in size from $800 million in 2009 to $2.2 billion per year in 2012...”

Dumbass.

‘Obama phones’ subsidy program draws new scrutiny on the Hill

you funny.

The video of an Obama supporter bragging about having an “Obama phone” has gone viral on the web, but where do these “free cell phones” come from?

The program is called Lifeline, established in 1984, originally created to subsidize landline phone service for low income Americans, funded by government-collected telecommunication fees, paid by consumers.

In 2008, the program was expanded to support cell phones which quickly escalated the cost of the program. In 2008 the program cost $772 million, but by 2011 it cost $1.6 billion.

A 2011 audit found that 269,000 wireless Lifeline subscribers were receiving free phones and monthly service from two or more carriers. Several websites have been created to promote “free” government cell phones, including the”The Obama Cell Phone” website at Obamaphone.net.

Rep. Tim Griffin R-Ark. has proposed a bill to eliminate federal subsidies for free cell phones and has produced a great YouTube video highlighting the runaway cost of the program. The program has also been highlighted for reform by Senator Claire McCaskill D-Mo.

Pressure to reform the program led the FCC to announce an effort in February to “reduce the potential for fraud while cutting red tape for consumers and providers” by the end of 2013.

Also: Obama’s “Truth Team” denounces supporter’s “Obama phone” claim

Where do “Obama phones” come from?

‘Obamaphone’ program riddled with fraud: Audit

The controversial “Obamaphone” program, which pays for cellphones for the poor, is rife with fraud, according to a new government report released Thursday that found more than a third of enrollees may not even be qualified.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh the obama phone, which the boot lickers always used " Bush had the program too" , that's what is said when you live on planet fantasy and don't understand a thing told to you other than what Obama told you.
So why hasn't Trump made any effort to kill the program? It's his now, you know.

Sheesh. Give the guy some time! obummer left such a huge wake of shit behind him that it will take years to deal with.

LMFAO TAXES pay for it fool.............

Isn't this just an extension of a program that was created originally by Reagan where poor people could get landline phones back in the 80's? All the Obamaphone program did was give people a choice of getting a cell phone instead of a landline phone.

upload_2017-6-30_17-31-55.png

“He admitted that when he made that transfer,” the FBI said, speaking about Chew wiring $20,455,829.10 to a personal account, “he knew that Icon had tens of thousands fewer customers than it had reported to the FCC for the first three months of 2013.”

The commissioner said that the explosion in fraud could be attributed to a change in the FCC’s rules to allow wireless re-sellers, wireless companies without their own network, attracted “many new carriers into the program whose sole model was to make money off of the Lifeline Program.”

Carriers began giving phones and minutes away for free, creating the incentive for customers to apply for as many new Lifeline phones as possible.

FCC commissioner wants to end Obamaphone fraud - Watchdog.org

‘Obamaphone’ program riddled with fraud: Audit

The controversial “Obamaphone” program, which pays for cellphones for the poor, is rife with fraud, according to a new government report released Thursday that found more than a third of enrollees may not even be qualified.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh the obama phone, which the boot lickers always used " Bush had the program too" , that's what is said when you live on planet fantasy and don't understand a thing told to you other than what Obama told you.

again, use legitimate sources, conspiracy freak.

100% FREE Cell Phone Service (+FREE Phone w/ Service) - FreedomPop™

If a company can do it why couldn't Obamaphone do the same?

They can pay a bit extra each month if they want or need the unlimited service. If not they get so many free phone calls each month

FCC is Federal Taxes, the FEDS did it, Obama did it............ The company basically charges people TWICE for the same tax.

Look on your bill you will see some BS tax that is the same thing under different words.

Obama just so happened to get caught.

“He admitted that when he made that transfer,” the FBI said, speaking about Chew wiring $20,455,829.10 to a personal account, “he knew that Icon had tens of thousands fewer customers than it had reported to the FCC for the first three months of 2013.”

The commissioner said that the explosion in fraud could be attributed to a change in the FCC’s rules to allow wireless re-sellers, wireless companies without their own network, attracted “many new carriers into the program whose sole model was to make money off of the Lifeline Program.”

Carriers began giving phones and minutes away for free, creating the incentive for customers to apply for as many new Lifeline phones as possible.

Isn't this just an extension of a program that was created originally by Reagan where poor people could get landline phones back in the 80's? All the Obamaphone program did was give people a choice of getting a cell phone instead of a landline phone.

Just check out the link I posted for the Watchdog.org

Just check out the link I posted for the Watchdog.org

It doesn't matter what your link says. I know Reagan started the program and Obama just adapted it to modern times. Showing pictures of Richard Branson is a nothing burger. Richard Branson is a rich, smart, entrepreneur. Obama meeting with him and talking to him is smart of Obama to pick his brain.

My comment wasn't over the program itself, but rather the Washington Times article. In particular its opening statement that:

The controversial “Obamaphone” program, which pays for cellphones for the poor, is rife with fraud, according to a new government report released Thursday that found more than a third of enrollees may not even be qualified.​

Long before all the Russia business I grew tired of the news media presenting uncertainties and have held feelings of, 'get back to me when you're ready to present the facts' whenever I spot a headline with a question mark or an opening that's wishy-washy. Plus I seldom hear of this program and so how controversial can it be?

Now regarding the program, I read where it has been in existence in one form or another since the 1980's. Seems to me all programs should have sunset laws that limit them to a certain number of years and then either have to be renewed or flushed. One would think the annual budget process would inherently force that sort of thing, but that's our congress

Forum List

Back