🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Occupy Donations Buy Out Student Debt And Forgives It

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
Occupy abolishes 4 million in other people s student loan debt - Yahoo Finance

Yes, some good news of something effective Occupy is still working on.
Even if you don't agree, at least these people who do believe in forgiving debts
are paying for it themselves by collecting donations voluntarily from others in agreement.

NOT forcing it on taxpayers who don't consent.
I hope Democrats learn from this model.
If you want something done, organize resources and do it yourself!

Well, it sure would have been nice had people stepped up to the plate and acknowledged that Everest is a racket job-as are most of these for profit colleges. I guess that would be too much to ask from the Republicans, eh? Naw. They talk a lot about responsibility but when it gets down to it.........they are nowhere to be found, amiright?

There are a few spinoffs from Occupy that absolutely rock. This is one of them.

Well, it sure would have been nice had people stepped up to the plate and acknowledged that Everest is a racket job-as are most of these for profit colleges. I guess that would be too much to ask from the Republicans, eh? Naw. They talk a lot about responsibility but when it gets down to it.........they are nowhere to be found, amiright?

Oliver added, "I will say this for for-profit colleges: They've just given us all a first-class education in the depths of human depravity." Oliver noted that of the 115 people enrolled in one ITT Tech engineering program in 2012, only 27 graduated, and just 13 found work in the field. "Everyone else would have genuinely been better off studying engineering at Hogwarts, because at least that way they'd have a fucking owl to show for it," he said.

Oliver added, "I will say this for for-profit colleges: They've just given us all a first-class education in the depths of human depravity." Oliver noted that of the 115 people enrolled in one ITT Tech engineering program in 2012, only 27 graduated, and just 13 found work in the field. "Everyone else would have genuinely been better off studying engineering at Hogwarts, because at least that way they'd have a fucking owl to show for it," he said.

And from 2012:
Investigation reveals claims of unmanageable debt by for-profit college students - Rock Center with Brian Williams
For-Profit Colleges Cheat Students and Get Away With It Miami New Times

And from 2011
Ky. Attorney General Jack Conway battles for-profits insidehighered

And from 2010
U.S. GAO - For-Profit Colleges Undercover Testing Finds Colleges Encouraged Fraud and Engaged in Deceptive and Questionable Marketing Practices

So, it's a lesson in depravity that seemingly needs to be repeated yearly.

What is their address so I can send them my debt papers?

Hi Moonglow: When I contacted Strike Debt they DIDN'T work on an individual basis, ie case by case.
The donations went into a fund, and the group authorized to use those funds would negotiate
deals with the lending institutions to buy out debts, pennies to the dollar, with no control over the people whose loans
were included in the package buy out.

So it was done based on relieving the largest total debt using the least amount of funding, in order to stretch the impact.

Now with this new student loan focus, it sounds like they were focused around a particular institution.
What group is your loan through? If that group becomes a focus, where they negotiate to buy out debt from it,
then you could be included.

The way this process seems to be working,
it's NOT a matter of "what participants can get from the donations,"
but the focus is on the Donations helping others.

that's the part they control, collective and administering the donations in mass blocks,
not wasting resources focused on which individuals are receiving them on the other side.

BTW Moonglow, why not start a collection around you?
Why not do a gofundme fundraiser, pay off your debt and then volunteer
to help others like yourself? Occupy started by people setting up their own system.
Why not set up yours?

What service do you have to offer people, such as helping other students like you to raise funds,
one at a time, and when a loan is paid back, the funds go toward the NEXT student so it pays FORWARD.

I'm happy to start up a project like that, if you are serious.
I have web domains for art support and forgiveness fund
with the concept of paying forward; whoever is helped agrees to pay it forward
to help the next person so the investment grows.

If we don't waste money on policing or collecting, but just participate voluntarily
there are no resources wasted on admin or legal costs as most groups including govt waste.

All voluntary participation to pay it forward.

Let me know.

I even have some funny ideas for spoof videos to promote the fundraising.
Some are good videos, others are horrible karaoke spoofs (with the joke idea of extorting money from donors NOT
to circulate the bad karaoke videos but basically pay us to take down the link and delete the file.
So the whole idea is to use viral videos as a joke to raise money for charity causes like students or people like me working two jobs to cover charity programs.)

What are your interests, what social causes?
putting together a gofundme project to raise funds for a valid charity,
but pay a 5% to 10% commission to you for your fundraising work
would be like creating a job for yourself that could help pay back part of your loans
whlie promoting and raising funds for a good cause you believe in supporting.

Have any ideas like that? I'm happy to come up with a PSA or viral video
and try it. and see if you can pay off your loans by creating a PR job or something.

And from 2012:
Investigation reveals claims of unmanageable debt by for-profit college students - Rock Center with Brian Williams

And from 2011

And from 2010
U.S. GAO - For-Profit Colleges Undercover Testing Finds Colleges Encouraged Fraud and Engaged in Deceptive and Questionable Marketing Practices

The problem is that capitalism has been turned into something in which the average citizen "should know better" in all instances even in the case of fraud.

So someone get saddled with a shit ton of debt? Do we blame the for profit schools and their deceptions? Nope...We blame the individuals for not knowing something that even a congressional hearing had a hard time uncovering.

Only a trillion dollars more to go and they will have the student loan debt paid off. What a classic case of liberal feel good pat themselves on the back nonsense.

Even if you don't agree, at least these people who do believe in forgiving debts
are paying for it themselves by collecting donations voluntarily from others in agreement.

I applaud the private effort. Don't expect Dims to agree with it though. In their world only the government could solve this kind of issue.

Only a trillion dollars more to go and they will have the student loan debt paid off. What a classic case of liberal feel good pat themselves on the back nonsense.

Yeah they should get off their feet and do nothing like you

I'm simply pointing out how utterly useless the lefts solutions are, its simple math they paid off .000004% of the student loan debt which isn't even a rounding error on the interest. Slaving out our young people to student loan debt, the lefts gift to them.

Hi BL. I agree this is not going to solve the problem causing the debt.

The reason I posted this at all, is as an example of people paying for what they believe in THEMSELVES.
NOT legislating some law forcing OTHER taxpayers to pay this debt. THE DONORS agree to pay on those terms.

That's a first step.

I just posted a separate thread on what makes a nonprofit or outreach campaign sustainable?

If you have better models for things that work, please post there.
For financial models, I guess I can keep using this thread to post those.

My favorite are Grameen microlending, NACA for saving houses by refinancing debt,
modest needs if you are going for the microdonations approach, Ithaca HOURS for issuing local currency,
and a business model and mentoring network to teach property financing to retire on sustainable income
(not a charity but a professional business, but I use them as a model that anyone can follow without paying for the training).

I will post those, BL, and you can discuss how THAT is more sustainable
than bailouts with no change to the problem that caused the debts. I agree that isn't a longterm solution.

I am just glad to see a successful example of liberal activists putting their money into their own solutions! Finally!

How about funding higher ed via the states so that there was no insane debt to begin with?

And from 2012:

And from 2011

And from 2010

The problem is that capitalism has been turned into something in which the average citizen "should know better" in all instances even in the case of fraud.

So someone get saddled with a shit ton of debt? Do we blame the for profit schools and their deceptions? Nope...We blame the individuals for not knowing something that even a congressional hearing had a hard time uncovering.

The problem is this feeling that they have every right to extort people. Ya, we do blame the for profit schools. WE just don't happen to be the right WE.

Hi BL. I agree this is not going to solve the problem causing the debt.

The reason I posted this at all, is as an example of people paying for what they believe in THEMSELVES.
NOT legislating some law forcing OTHER taxpayers to pay this debt. THE DONORS agree to pay on those terms.

That's a first step.

I just posted a separate thread on what makes a nonprofit or outreach campaign sustainable?

If you have better models for things that work, please post there.
For financial models, I guess I can keep using this thread to post those.

My favorite are Grameen microlending, NACA for saving houses by refinancing debt,
modest needs if you are going for the microdonations approach, Ithaca HOURS for issuing local currency,
and a business model and mentoring network to teach property financing to retire on sustainable income
(not a charity but a professional business, but I use them as a model that anyone can follow without paying for the training).

I will post those, BL, and you can discuss how THAT is more sustainable
than bailouts with no change to the problem that caused the debts. I agree that isn't a longterm solution.

I am just glad to see a successful example of liberal activists putting their money into their own solutions! Finally!

We have real and pressing problems that need real solutions, this is at best a distraction. I don't mean to seem heartless, I applaud the private nature of the effort. But see that light far off in the distance, that's the freight train of debt and unfunded liabilities heading straight for us, all $117 trillion dollars of it. The time for small feel good solutions has come and gone. When that freight train hits us then the people are going to know real pain and suffering. DC has its head stuck in the sand. The left thinks money grows on trees. The only way out of the mess is to grow our way out and government does nothing but think up new taxes and regulations hamper that.

I applaud the private effort. Don't expect Dims to agree with it though. In their world only the government could solve this kind of issue.

We all agree the PEOPLE are the govt.

We get enough PEOPLE to pay for their own programs or political agenda,
then we change how govt works as reflection of the PEOPLE.

just need enough to do it. And the Occupy group has at least gotten its members and followers
to do this much. As loosely structured as they are, what does this say about bigger groups and the potential there?

Obama got elected by the collective numbers of little grassroots groups like this that got the vote out.
They did better than the split conservative base who COULDN'T get the disillusioned conservative out to vote.

The Tea Party that gets no coverage in the media and works independently per district or candidate
managed to get some key players elected in Texas, just by grassroots organizing that is almost invisible and not talked about.

How long before more groups learn how to manage their own power and resources locally to get something done effectively?

I see this as a GOOD sign of moving toward self-managed democratic systems locally,
and getting away from top down bureaucracy that wastes resources fighting over abuse and waste and blame for it.

First step is to get something done period.
After that, you figure out how to make is sustainable which means solving the root problem and not feeding into it.

Can you post examples of groups that are in more advanced stages of this process?
Thanks BL! I agree with your point you are making, and STILL see this as a good step toward where American politics is heading.

LMAO! You do realize that Occupy did this right? Occupy wont agree with what Occupy did?

Maaaan, the level of cognitive dissonance here is astounding lol

When the $1 trillion dollar student loan debt bubble pops are we going to blame the liberal colleges and universities like the left blamed Wall Street?

Yeah they should get off their feet and do nothing like you

I'm simply pointing out how utterly useless the lefts solutions are, its simple math they paid off .000004% of the student loan debt which isn't even a rounding error on the interest. Slaving out our young people to student loan debt, the lefts gift to them.

I'm simply pointing out how effective being part of the peanut gallery is also. Great job

Forum List

Back