Occupy Wall Street: The Movement Grows

Marie Antoinette never said Let Them Eat Cake. It's just another lie promoted by the left to illustrate aristocratic arrogance.

Who said, "Let them eat cake"?

We're not entirely sure who said "Let them eat cake," but we can tell you that it wasn't Marie Antoinette. This flippant phrase about consuming pastry is commonly attributed to the frivolous queen in the days leading up to the French Revolution. Supposedly, she spoke these words upon hearing how the peasantry had no bread to eat. But biographers and historians have found no evidence that Marie uttered these words or anything like them.
Our old pal Cecil Adams of The Straight Dope explains the quotation was first written by French philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau in Confessions. Actually, Rousseau wrote "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche," which essentially means "let them eat a type of egg-based bread" (not quite cake, but still a bit extravagant). Rousseau claimed that "a great princess" told the peasants to eat cake/brioche when she heard they had no bread.

But Rousseau wrote this in early 1766, when Marie Antoinette was only 10 years old, still living in her native Austria and not yet married to King Louis XVI. So it's highly unlikely that Marie uttered the pompous phrase. Perhaps Rousseau invented them to illustrate the divide between royalty and the poor -- which is certainly how the phrase has been used ever since.

Why waste time on derivative works? Here is the original that book and everything you believe is based on!

Manifesto of the Communist Party

Why waste time on derivative works? Here is the original that book and everything you believe is based on!

Manifesto of the Communist Party

"everything" I "believe" can be summed up in a simple phrase: All around a pigs ass is pork.

Everything else requires closer inspection.

Faith based policy, party, science, economics, and history is your bag, sparky.

"everything" I "believe" can be summed up in a simple phrase: All around a pigs ass is pork.

You believe what the party tells you to believe. The party though, does operate from the document listed.

You have party bosses to do the "inspecting."

Science, economics and history are indeed areas I am well versed in. As an agnostic, faith doesn't play a big part.

No, I didn't accept Obama as my personal lord and savior. I guess I'll be denied entry into the North Korean Millennial Kingdom he is preparing for you...

Barb:

Why would I want to read the same books that you did if you spout such ignorant crap like...

most of our millionaires didn't get there by hard work and sacrifice.

MOST ALL of our Millionaires are AUTHORS, SPORTS FIGURES, ENTERTAINERS, INVENTORS, and hard working business people.. The tiniest MINORITY of the rich live off of 2nd generation wealth.
Screw your books -- they didn't do you any good..

Last edited:
Reuters: Who's behind the Wall St. protests?

who is financing the disparate protest, which has spread to cities across America and lasted nearly four weeks. One name that keeps coming up is investor George Soros, who in September debuted in the top 10 list of wealthiest Americans...

Reuters did find indirect financial links between Soros and Adbusters, an anti-capitalist group in Canada which started the protests with an inventive marketing campaign aimed at sparking an Arab Spring type uprising against Wall Street. Moreover, Soros and the protesters share some ideological ground.

You believe what the party tells you to believe. The party though, does operate from the document listed.

You have party bosses to do the "inspecting."

Science, economics and history are indeed areas I am well versed in. As an agnostic, faith doesn't play a big part.

No, I didn't accept Obama as my personal lord and savior. I guess I'll be denied entry into the North Korean Millennial Kingdom he is preparing for you...

Oddly enough, I never mentioned religion. I'm a heathen, myself, a deist.

As for the areas you're "well versed" in: go ahead, baffle us with your bull...er, brilliance. :lol:

Barb:

Why would I want to read the same books that you did if you spout such ignorant crap like...

most of our millionaires didn't get there by hard work and sacrifice.

MOST ALL of our Millionaires are AUTHORS, SPORTS FIGURES, ENTERTAINERS, INVENTORS, and hard working business people.. The tiniest MINORITY of the rich live off of 2nd generation wealth.
Screw your books -- they didn't do you any good..

Link please, and be sure to include ONLY those who weren't rich to begin with. The greatest of those with the most money were trust fund babies from jump.

All I can say is this "movement" is not what most think it is. Look who are supporting it in the back. It's not about injustice but it's a hidden troganhorse to slavery.

All I can say is this "movement" is not what most think it is. Look who are supporting it in the back. It's not about injustice but it's a hidden troganhorse to slavery.

Mr. Soros is really pissed that you'd say such a thing -- out loud.

I wonder how long before he has one of his hench puppets propose some new law to limit your ability to say such seditious stuff on the interwebz.

Oddly enough, I never mentioned religion.

I see, so faith is not related to religion?

Fact is, your prejudice required that you cast me as a "religious right wacko" so that you could use the script that KOS has prepared.

I'm a heathen, myself, a deist.

And you think you deserve a cookie for that?

As for the areas you're "well versed" in: go ahead, baffle us with your bull...er, brilliance. :lol:

Indeed.

Link please, and be sure to include ONLY those who weren't rich to begin with. The greatest of those with the most money were trust fund babies from jump.

Are you really stupid enough to believe the bullshit you spew?

Hey Barb, how much of his fortune did billionaire Corporate CEO Steve Jobs inherit? How about Bill Gates? Andrew Grove?

ROFL, the shit you leftists spew...

Are you really stupid enough to believe the bullshit you spew?

Hey Barb, how much of his fortune did billionaire Corporate CEO Steve Jobs inherit? How about Bill Gates? Andrew Grove?

ROFL, the shit you leftists spew...

Funny you don't mention the Rockefellers, Fords, Astors, etc. Don't fit your agenda, Adolf?

I wonder how long before he has one of his hench puppets propose some new law to limit your ability to say such seditious stuff on the interwebz.

You can shut the web down but it will never shut me up.:clap2:

You can shut the web down but it will never shut me up.:clap2:

That's what the SEIU type thugs are for.

Oddly enough, I never mentioned religion.

I see, so faith is not related to religion?

Fact is, your prejudice required that you cast me as a "religious right wacko" so that you could use the script that KOS has prepared.

I'm a heathen, myself, a deist.

And you think you deserve a cookie for that?

Indeed.

You think "faith" is a thing ONLY invested in religion? You prove every day that it is not. People have or express "faith" in many false profits, hoping for a return on their faith from some hefty and prominent prophets. For all the clay feet involved, if you're a multinational corporation, that "faith" is pretty well placed. Graduated tithing seems to be a solid investment.
Democracy it aint, but you don't give a fuck anyways, do you?

Funny you don't mention the Rockefellers, Fords, Astors, etc. Don't fit your agenda, Adolf?

There are a thousand who earned their fortune for every one of these - if you don't know this, you probably voted for Obama.

Standard Disclaimer: That means you're fucking stupid, the "voted for Obama" part. Figured I better explain that, for those who voted for Obama.....

You think "faith" is a thing ONLY invested in religion?

Is that what I said?

You really think that a Straw Man will lead you to victory, huh?

You prove every day that it is not. People have or express "faith" in many false profits, hoping for a return on their faith from some hefty and prominent prophets.

You mean like Barry the great tin Messiah®? That sort of "prophet?"

For all the clay feet involved, if you're a multinational corporation, that "faith" is pretty well placed. Graduated tithing seems to be a solid investment.

The 60's were your golden age, weren't they?

Democracy it aint, but you don't give a fuck anyways, do you?

Ah democracy, the dream of the left: Two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch....

Members of The Forbes 400 who are entirely self-made: 274

Members of The Forbes 400 who inherited their entire fortune: 74

Forum List

Back