[OFFICIAL] State of the Union Address Thread

What's The Deal With Obama's New MyRA Plan?

By Matthew Yglesias
1/28/14

One of the most intriguing ideas in the State of the Union was Obama's promise to use executive action to create a new middle class savings vehicle that he calls a "myRA" (a pun, get it). The speech didn't really make it clear what this looks like exactly, and I have to say the White House's policy briefing sheet didn't either:

Creating “myRA” – A Safe, Easy-to-Use Starter Savings Account to Help Millions of Middle Class Americans Save for Retirement.

The administration says full details will be coming tomorrow. The language about the the myRA being offered "through a familiar Roth IRA Account" suggests to me that they're not so much proposing a new type of account as a new type of bond. But I suppose only time will tell.

MyRA plan: What's the deal?

AJ is excited about the new idea.

Is he coming over from the dark side?

The EO to raise the min. wage for Fed workers is brilliant.

Hopefully other Govs will step up and do the right thing.

corporations will, and find cheaper labor offshore. fast food will install automated technology that already exists. Obama will do anything to get his obamacare enrolment numbers up.

By Matthew Yglesias
1/28/14

One of the most intriguing ideas in the State of the Union was Obama's promise to use executive action to create a new middle class savings vehicle that he calls a "myRA" (a pun, get it). The speech didn't really make it clear what this looks like exactly, and I have to say the White House's policy briefing sheet didn't either:

Creating “myRA” – A Safe, Easy-to-Use Starter Savings Account to Help Millions of Middle Class Americans Save for Retirement.

The administration says full details will be coming tomorrow. The language about the the myRA being offered "through a familiar Roth IRA Account" suggests to me that they're not so much proposing a new type of account as a new type of bond. But I suppose only time will tell.

So like SS 2.0?

corporations will, and find cheaper labor offshore. fast food will install automated technology that already exists. Obama will do anything to get his obamacare enrolment numbers up.

Who puts squarely on display, you have no fucking idea what you are talking about.

The EO is for Federal Workers.

By Matthew Yglesias
1/28/14

If the Government set up a plan for people to deduct wages from their paycheck and pay into it that would be great. The Government does not hold it nor ever touches it.

When you die it all goes to family 100% tax free. The same Idea could be used for UE, but when you use it all up it's gone.

But I doubt that is the plan and in fact the idea of doing something like this on top of SS admits SS is a fraud and failing.

here's the deal about Obama speeches. whether they be campaign, state of the union, whatever. the words never match the actions or the reality. no difference tonight. republicans best start preparing now for a majority in the senate this year.

By Matthew Yglesias
1/28/14

Well..

It would be a HUGE gift to Wall street.

:cues evil empire music:

Who puts squarely on display, you have no fucking idea what you are talking about.

step one my friend. take off your blinders. I wonder what he will cut to pay for it? or what he will borrow

By Matthew Yglesias
1/28/14

If the Government set up a plan for people to deduct wages from their paycheck and pay into it that would be great. The Government does not hold it nor ever touches it.

When you die it all goes to family 100% tax free. The same Idea could be used for UE, but when you use it all up it's gone.

But I doubt that is the plan and in fact the idea of doing something like this on top of SS admits SS is a fraud and failing.

you mean like SS was before the democrats decided it was an entitlement?

I said Govs -- meaning Governors. What does that have to do with Fast Food?

Did you not read my post?

step one my friend. take off your blinders. I wonder what he will cut to pay for it? or what he will borrow

You also missed the part where Obama called for a "flip" in the tax code that rewards offshoring and punishes companies that gives jobs domestically.

But then, you didn't listen to the speech.

you mean like SS was before the democrats decided it was an entitlement?

An entitlement is any Gov program or resource you have to qualify for to be ENTITLED to.

SS has always been an entitlement. No one decided it was one.

The President also conveniently did not mention the fact that we have the least productive congress in the history of congress.

because the democrats are the obstructionists. he can't bring that up

That Tea must be really good.
I guess Harry Reid must prefer cool aid then. With all those GOP bills sitting on his desk, he no doubt wants congress to stall or at the very least move at a snail's pace.

The Government Contractors could just pay their CEO's less.

What a concept.

CEO's and VP's are overpaid???

By Matthew Yglesias
1/28/14

Well..

It would be a HUGE gift to Wall street.

:cues evil empire music:

I don't want you boyz to get all wee weed up now, I was just saying that it sounded like that plan Bush tried and the left-wing shot down...:eusa_angel:

Carry on...:whip:

Notice he didn't mention how many lost their health insurance.
...and to make the "9 million have signed up for heath insurance...." a true statement, he had to add "...and Medicare." Probably more for Medicare than ObamaCare.

Anyone have the split on that sum he presented?

..just saw one claim that it was 3.9 million that have signed up for Medicare since ObamaCare opened for applicants.

So...is Obama claiming 3.9 million FALSE CREDITS?

Duh!

You also missed the part where Obama called for a "flip" in the tax code that rewards offshoring and punishes companies that gives jobs domestically.

But then, you didn't listen to the speech.

I agreed with a lot of the speech. Just one part ruined the entire thing.

Forum List

Back