Official USMB Shutdown Showdown Thread --- Jan 10th, 2019

Having a hard time noticing any change from this time last year or the year before. Maybe they really are superfluous.

All Representatives are whores.

It is baffling though, why would the Dims fall on their swords by passing Obamacare, knowing that it was unpopular at the time and also knowing they would turn right around and shove a Single Payer system on us?

In short, neither the GOP nor the DNC liked or likes Obamacare, yet they were willing to get routed in elections in 2012 to pass it.

The same can be said of the border situation.

What I thought was funny was that McConnell thought it was useless to send Trump a bill that he's just gonna veto anyway.

Guess McConnell forgot about the veto proof 2/3rds vote, and, if he wanted it, he would be able to get it. There is bi partisan support for reopening the government, and then debating about the wall.

'Hundreds of furloughed federal employees chanting “we want to work” gathered for a union-led march to the White House on Thursday, the 20th day of a partial government shutdown over U.S. President Donald Trump’s demand for border wall funding.'

“Hey, hey, ho, ho, shutdown’s got to go” protesters shouted as they assembled in the bitter cold outside of the AFL-CIO union headquarters, hoisting signs reading “Trump: End the Shutdown,” “Reopen Govt” and “Let Me Do My Job.”

Some 800,000 federal government employees have been ordered to stay home or work without pay during the shutdown brought on by a standoff between Trump and Democrats in Congress over Trump’s demand for $5.7 billion to build a wall on the southern U.S. border.

Trump, in a 2016 presidential campaign promise, repeatedly vowed that Mexico would pay for the wall. But he has said he will not sign any bill to reopen the government that does not provide wall funding.

Protesters, many wearing neon green vests reading, “I am a worker. I demand a voice,” on Thursday demanded the government be reopened, separate from any debate over wall funding.

“We want our pay! We want our pay! We want our pay!” shouted government employees and contractors bundled against the cold in knitted hats and scarves as they gathered for the march.

In its third week, the shutdown of about a quarter of the federal government is the second longest since the mid-1970s. Trump has said it could continue for months or even years.'

'We want our pay!' furloughed U.S. workers shout at White House | Reuters

Interesting.

There are 670,000 in the union, all they could muster is a few hundred, really? I guess it's good they're keeping themselves busy, idle hands are the devils workshop.

Back then they stood for America, today that is no longer the case. Enemies of America.

So, how about *"Hundreds of furloughed federal employees who happen to be Democrats received a phone call from DNC officials earlier in the week requesting they appear at a White House protest on Thursday".

Federal salaries are generally pretty decent. I suggest any federal worker who will run out of money tomorrow has been spending beyond their capabilities for some time.

Fuck 'em, that's why Goldman Sachs is in the white house regardless of electoral outcomes. Fuck the people, fuck workers.

Talk about a self fulfilling prophecy. We have leftard lamebrains creating a scenario where everything trump says is a lie, the media repeating it, and then leftwards quoting the media to buttress their case. I guess they don’t have time to fact check Ocasio Cortez.
Ocasio Cortez is one of the hundreds of elected representatives and represents one district from NYC. Trump is supposed to be a President of the USA.

'Hundreds of furloughed federal employees chanting “we want to work” gathered for a union-led march to the White House on Thursday, the 20th day of a partial government shutdown over U.S. President Donald Trump’s demand for border wall funding.'

“Hey, hey, ho, ho, shutdown’s got to go” protesters shouted as they assembled in the bitter cold outside of the AFL-CIO union headquarters, hoisting signs reading “Trump: End the Shutdown,” “Reopen Govt” and “Let Me Do My Job.”

Some 800,000 federal government employees have been ordered to stay home or work without pay during the shutdown brought on by a standoff between Trump and Democrats in Congress over Trump’s demand for $5.7 billion to build a wall on the southern U.S. border.

Trump, in a 2016 presidential campaign promise, repeatedly vowed that Mexico would pay for the wall. But he has said he will not sign any bill to reopen the government that does not provide wall funding.

Protesters, many wearing neon green vests reading, “I am a worker. I demand a voice,” on Thursday demanded the government be reopened, separate from any debate over wall funding.

“We want our pay! We want our pay! We want our pay!” shouted government employees and contractors bundled against the cold in knitted hats and scarves as they gathered for the march.

In its third week, the shutdown of about a quarter of the federal government is the second longest since the mid-1970s. Trump has said it could continue for months or even years.'

Interesting.

There are 670,000 in the union, all they could muster is a few hundred, really? I guess it's good they're keeping themselves busy, idle hands are the devils workshop.

You don't really expect americans to stand up for themselves and face power do you?

While Pelosi is pretty brilliant at leading the House, neither she nor Schumer are very good at public communication. But the problem with their response to Trump Tuesday night wasn’t so much what they said. It was the same problem that plagued them in their meeting the following day: They were talking to the wrong person.

To borrow a construct from the classical orator Marco Rubio, let’s dispense with the notion that President Donald Trump knows exactly what he’s doing. Because he really, really doesn’t.

Trump is not in control of Washington. He’s not even in control of his own administration, where officials simply ignore his diktats until his feeble attention shrivels. Trump is not in charge even of the West Wing of his White House, where his own aides regularly leak embarrassing details of his ignorance and buffoonery and his recently departed chief of staff definedhis personal achievements in terms of repeatedly foiling the boss’s half-baked (and not quite half-legal) schemes. And, of course, the reason Trump still doesn’t have a wall is that his fellow Republicans refused for two years to fund one.

With Democrats in charge of the House, Pelosi should stop wasting time and energy on the reality-television president and deal instead with the closest we’ve got to the real thing: Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.
you are right Ed....she should stop wasting every ones time and retire...half the dam congress needs to follow her out that door...
Only half?
well i was referring to the Geritol generation.....as far as congress in general i would say 90-95% need to be shown the door....their approval rating is unacceptable...

Interesting.
Wasting their time

Trump looks at them as losers

They are non-essential after all.

McConnell has nothing good to say about this stunt and seemingly no interest in ending it. He is just sitting around looking bored waiting for his last bit of credibility to disappear.

All Representatives are whores.

It is baffling though, why would the Dims fall on their swords by passing Obamacare, knowing that it was unpopular at the time and also knowing they would turn right around and shove a Single Payer system on us?

In short, neither the GOP nor the DNC liked or likes Obamacare, yet they were willing to get routed in elections in 2012 to pass it.

The same can be said of the border situation.
Trump’s “Bubble” is millions of his voters.
Most Reps have a handful of handlers as a bubble.

Interesting.

You don't really expect americans to stand up for themselves and face power do you?

It was organized by the union and the DNC, it was a political demonstration, if you could call a few hundred a demonstration.

Interesting.
At least the chant is better than- "Hey, Hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today"?

Schumer, like the rest of the Dems, realize that they have to import voters, as America is tired of getting screwed by their assinine policies...HOPE & CHANGE comes to mind...

And THAT, my friends, is Obummer's true legacy...
Pass the 2010 democratic comprehensive immigration bill of 2010 that started out with a national ID card that would end this mess, super duper.

Interesting.

It was organized by the union and the DNC, it was a political demonstration, if you could call a few hundred a demonstration.

See what I mean? Pffffffffffffffffffffft, #the assistance. The american public doesn't have it in them

Tr
The Democrats said they didn't want to negotiate, so Trump went for a sandwich.
Trump left no room TO negotiate!

He walked out!
How do you negotiate with NO?

You say, "yes" and open the govt.

Why don't you suggest the same thing for your side? After all, if they say "yes" to the 5 billion for the wall, the government is reopened.
Why should they?
Trump owns it and a majority of congress want it opened before wall funding is negotiated.

Sure they do. They just want Trump to give in so they can start this charade all over again when the government closes down in a month or two. If they had any intention of negotiations, they would have done it from day one of the shutdown. Instead........Democrats decided it was time for another vacation.

Having a hard time noticing any change from this time last year or the year before. Maybe they really are superfluous.

You might be having a hard time noticing anything, but I can assure you that there are lots of people out there who are noticing, especially the farmers who are supposed to get their subsidy check to help them through this tariff war, as well as the people who have had their homes destroyed in last year's disasters.

Know what I thought was disgraceful? When Trump tried to say that the government workers weren't on furlough, he said he didn't like that term and would prefer to say they were on strike. I think the reason he wants to call it a strike rather than a furlough is so that he can blame them for the shutdown rather than take responsibility for what he did.

Trump referred to shutdown as ‘strike’ in meeting with lawmakers

President Trump reportedly opened a meeting Friday with congressional leaders with an incendiary rant before saying he preferred the word “strike” to refer to the ongoing government shutdown, according to multiple reports.

Forum List

Back