Official USMB Shutdown Showdown Thread --- Week of Jan 14th, 2019

Is the political game of chicken being played by BOTH parties worth the lives of a few diabetics?

• Yes, never give in on this wall issue

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, both parties should compromise and get the workers back to work

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Trump should declare a national emergency and resolve the issue

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
BTW, the dems know what it will take to reopen the government and are doing nothing. and you don't care. it seems you don't care others are not getting paid.

The House Democrats have met their constitutional obligation.

No, they have not. That's the partisan hack answer. Their obligation, as is the Senate's obligation, as is the president's obligation, is to work together to reach a compromise and end the impasse. The president wants $5 billion for a wall; the Democrats want nothing. Nobody is willing to budge. Mature adults would meet halfway, but that's not what we have in D.C. I don't support a wall either, but to cause all of this drama over pure partisan politics is irresponsible on everybody's part.

The president and the Senate are not obliged to shut the govt down over funding requests, dope.

Nor is the House. Once again, you provide the partisan hack response.
it's all he has. the dems refused again today to meet the president for a negotiation session. boycotted the meeting.

Great. So it's his shutdown. Thanks.
well no, he can't sign what he doesn't have. so until something touches his desk, he is not at fault. BTW, they know what he wants, why don't they negotiate? isn't that customary in negotiations? just saying.
To you, negotiating means giving him a wall.
not at all, negotiating is and has been funding a wall for 27 billion, and the senate said no, so trump said ok 5.7 billion. he negotiated, in good faith may I say.

not at all, negotiating is and has been funding a wall for 27 billion, and the senate said no, so trump said ok 5.7 billion. he negotiated, in good faith may I say.

Holding the govt hostage is not negotiating in good faith, dope.
so why are the dems doing that?

again, I don't care that you blame trump.. blame him all you want, that isn't getting the dems to the table. they refused to meet with him again today. they refused. he offered. but go ahead, say it's on trump, i give two shits dude. I know it's the dems. and so do many millions.

The Dems aren't demanding anything, dope.
They simply want to open the govt.

Only the hostage taker makes demands.

BTW, the dems know what it will take to reopen the government and are doing nothing. and you don't care. it seems you don't care others are not getting paid.

No, they have not. That's the partisan hack answer. Their obligation, as is the Senate's obligation, as is the president's obligation, is to work together to reach a compromise and end the impasse. The president wants $5 billion for a wall; the Democrats want nothing. Nobody is willing to budge. Mature adults would meet halfway, but that's not what we have in D.C. I don't support a wall either, but to cause all of this drama over pure partisan politics is irresponsible on everybody's part.

The president and the Senate are not obliged to shut the govt down over funding requests, dope.

it's all he has. the dems refused again today to meet the president for a negotiation session. boycotted the meeting.
Does tiny trump have something to offer? Besides McDonalds leftovers?

well no, he can't sign what he doesn't have. so until something touches his desk, he is not at fault. BTW, they know what he wants, why don't they negotiate? isn't that customary in negotiations? just saying.

The Senate approved funding to keep the government open on Dec. 19, but without funds allocated for President Trump's border wall. (Reuters)

By Erica Werner ,
Paul Kane and
Josh Dawsey
December 19, 2018
The GOP-controlled Congress on Wednesday severely undermined President Trump’s drive for a border wall, embracing a short-term spending bill that would keep the government open but deny any new money for his long-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The agreement announced by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) would fund the federal government through Feb. 8, averting a partial shutdown scheduled to take effect at the end of Friday absent action by Congress and Trump.

But the spending bill would not include any of the $5 billion Trump is demanding for his wall, and it would punt the next round of border wall decisions into the new year, when a new Democratic majority in the House will have the power to stop wall funding from going through Congress.

Without Congress, Trump’s only remaining options for fulfilling his wall promise would rely on a series of legally dubious strategies that face opposition from newly empowered Democrats at every turn.
and? No bill ever made to his desk. did you know that?

needed nine senators duncepole. when will you actually educate on how the US functions? wow, you still are lost.

Link please.

Show us the Senate whip count.
link for what? the Senate needs 60 votes to pass a bill. you need a link for that? really? now I know you are stupid.

You said 9 were needed. You're assuming every Republican was on board. Show us the whip count.
it never came to a vote. How can I tell you how republicans were going to vote without a vote? that's a typical lefturd's thought process though. so you agree, they needed at least nine dem votes correct? You educated yourself on the senate and vote counts for legislation?

Then don't assume only 9 Dems were needed, dope.

The Republicans were not able to get this done for two years. Don't act like it's just the Dems.

Trust me, if McConnell had all the repubs, he would have held a vote .
McConnell has the votes to pass the spending bill which passed the House last week. That's precisely why he won't allow a vote.

The House did it's job, fool.

The Senate has not.

again, I don't care that you blame trump.. blame him all you want, that isn't getting the dems to the table. they refused to meet with him again today. they refused. he offered. but go ahead, say it's on trump, i give two shits dude. I know it's the dems. and so do many millions.

and trump wants 5.7 Billion for a wall, so all they have to do is add that to the budget and open it up. you didn't know that? wow.

he hasn't been asked for anything. why not?

The House did it's job, fool.

The Senate has not.
well any bill on the senate floor will include money for a wall. the dems won't vote. why?

LOL
Because that's all there is, dope.

The estimate was not intended to become public. It was just leaked.
Their previous estimate was 0.1% every two weeks.

"The Trump administration now estimates that the cost of the government shutdown will be twice as steep as originally forecast.
The original estimate that the partial shutdown would subtract 0.1 percentage point from growth every two weeks has now been doubled to a 0.1 percentage point subtraction every week, according to an official who asked not to be named."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/source-white-house-believes-shutdown-will-be-twice-as-costly.html‬
You would think that would scare the shit out of Trump and Congress but no, it will just lead to more finger pointing.

I'm convinced the only thing that is going to break the stalemate is a real national emergency, such as a terrorist attack or a disaster linked to the goverment shutdown. What's happening in the airports now is just the tip of the iceberg.

The Senate approved funding to keep the government open on Dec. 19, but without funds allocated for President Trump's border wall. (Reuters)

By Erica Werner ,
Paul Kane and
Josh Dawsey
December 19, 2018
The GOP-controlled Congress on Wednesday severely undermined President Trump’s drive for a border wall, embracing a short-term spending bill that would keep the government open but deny any new money for his long-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The agreement announced by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) would fund the federal government through Feb. 8, averting a partial shutdown scheduled to take effect at the end of Friday absent action by Congress and Trump.

But the spending bill would not include any of the $5 billion Trump is demanding for his wall, and it would punt the next round of border wall decisions into the new year, when a new Democratic majority in the House will have the power to stop wall funding from going through Congress.

Without Congress, Trump’s only remaining options for fulfilling his wall promise would rely on a series of legally dubious strategies that face opposition from newly empowered Democrats at every turn.
That's because McConnell is sitting on it for him. Did you know that?

See post 23.

LOL
Because that's all there is, dope.
yep, the dems can't give the pres a win. we know that. you know that. stalemate eh? blame away!!! it's what you all do best is blame and insult.

and trump wants 5.7 Billion for a wall, so all they have to do is add that to the budget and open it up. you didn't know that? wow.

That's what I just said, dope.

The hostage taker makes the demands.

By Erica Werner ,
Paul Kane and
Josh Dawsey
December 19, 2018

why was that,, McConnell?? Didn't want to see trumps veto over ridden?

The estimate was not intended to become public. It was just leaked.
Their previous estimate was 0.1% every two weeks.

"The Trump administration now estimates that the cost of the government shutdown will be twice as steep as originally forecast.
The original estimate that the partial shutdown would subtract 0.1 percentage point from growth every two weeks has now been doubled to a 0.1 percentage point subtraction every week, according to an official who asked not to be named."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/source-white-house-believes-shutdown-will-be-twice-as-costly.html‬
You would think that would scare the shit out of Trump and Congress but no, it will be just lead to more finger pointing.

I'm convinced the only thing that is going to break the stalemate is a real national emergency, such as a terrorist attack or a disaster linked to the goverment shutdown.
seems simple put in the five bucks into the budget and hand it to the pres to sign. seems rather simple. as long as playing partisan politics isn't your thing.

They don't want anything, dope.

By Erica Werner ,
Paul Kane and
Josh Dawsey
December 19, 2018

why was that,, McConnell?? Didn't want to see trumps veto over ridden?
:dunno:

Except of course the fact that he decides what he will sign and McConnell will only hold a vote for what he'll sign.

So.......it's still Trump's shutdown.

It's the hostage taker that makes demands.
dude, I don't care, nor does he who you blame, the issue is that the dems won't come to the table. dude point that finger all fking day isn't going to make the dems get to the table. why do you behave so stupidly?

The Dems don't need to come to the table, dope. They have made no demands. They have done their job.
then where's the budget?
Mitch McConnell won’t allow any bill out there that Trump doesn’t want to sign. Read the news.
Are you saying there are five dems ready to vote for a 5.7B wall? cause currently, to put a vote on the floor for that bill needs at least five dems at this time.
the dems already agreed to 25bil for DACA but Trump reneged.

They don't want anything, dope.
then why are they holding the government workers hostage?

Forum List

Back