Oklahoma cons ban living wage

The absurdity of someone...WANTING... to work for less than the minimum wage is as stupid as the con ideology.

Don't dodge. Answer the question. If someone can't find a job making minimum wage, why would it be wrong for them to work for less, if they want to? Could they volunteer, and work for nothing? If so, then why couldn't they work for something between nothing and the minimum wage? Why does that need to be illegal? How do we even justify making it illegal?

People can't make ends meet with the wages they're paid now. Just look at that Wal-Mart in Ohio, holding a food drive for its own employees. What you're suggesting is that a person has a right to slap himself in the face, and no one's saying he doesn't. What minimum wage does is protect workers from employers who would order then to slap themselves in the face.

No, it doesn't. I tells them, "If you can't find a job making at least the minimum wage, tough luck. You're not allowed to work."

The absurdity of someone...WANTING... to work for less than the minimum wage is as stupid as the con ideology.

Don't dodge. Answer the question. If someone can't find a job making minimum wage, why would it be wrong for them to work for less, if they want to? Could they volunteer, and work for nothing? If so, then why couldn't they work for something between nothing and the minimum wage? Why does that need to be illegal? How do we even justify making it illegal?

People can't make ends meet with the wages they're paid now. Just look at that Wal-Mart in Ohio, holding a food drive for its own employees. What you're suggesting is that a person has a right to slap himself in the face, and no one's saying he doesn't. What minimum wage does is protect workers from employers who would order then to slap themselves in the face.

Here you are advocate an endless cycle of overpaying workers for skills they do not have...

You can spout all that shit you want about "employers who would order them(not then, learn to use spell check dummy) to slap themselves in the face".

Now first of all get a clue in life, no one forces anyone else to take a job, if they could you tit suckers would be working right now ....

The second clue you need to get is inflation and the cause, you are part of that problem, until that sinks in all else is futile!!

Your little boy in office should nave created jobs and worked on prosperity, oh wait you have to have SKILLS to survive in a working society ...

When you reach the point that you actually have more sense than a one cell amoeba
you will get paid more than minimum wage, at that point and time this whole discussion becomes mute ...

If someone was working for $2.15 an hour, they'd still be massively dependent on government assistance. What's more, many businesses (especially the larger employers like Wal-Mart and McDonald's) would surely drop their entry-level pay.

Unemployment wouldn't drop as much as you'd hope, either, since people would be disincentivized from looking for jobs. History has shown us that an industrialized society like ours needs to have certain legal protections for workers, minimum wage among them.

4 out of 5 economists today believe raising the federal minimum wage and indexing it to inflation will see benefits that will outweigh the costs. There's no reasonable argument to be made that removing the minimum wage would be better for the workforce.

If someone was working for $2.15 an hour, they'd still be massively dependent on government assistance. What's more, many businesses (especially the larger employers like Wal-Mart and McDonald's) would surely drop their entry-level pay.

Unemployment wouldn't drop as much as you'd hope, either, since people would be disincentivized from looking for jobs. History has shown us that an industrialized society like ours needs to have certain legal protections for workers, minimum wage among them.

4 out of 5 economists today believe raising the federal minimum wage and indexing it to inflation will see benefits that will outweigh the costs. There's no reasonable argument to be made that removing the minimum wage would be better for the workforce.

Keep spouting those fallacies, if you seriously think they could get employees at that point you are sadly mistaken.

Not even lazy teens who are ignorant and gullible are going to get off their lazy asses for that low pay, get out in the real world and get a clue ...

You must be a shut in ...
Home bound??

You seem completely out of touch with reality...

Wage Laws
By Mark Wilson
June 21, 2012

The federal government has imposed a minimum wage since 1938, and nearly all the states impose their own minimum wages. These laws prevent employers from paying wages below a mandated level. While the aim is to help workers, decades of economic research show that minimum wages usually end up harming workers and the broader economy. Minimum wages particularly stifle job opportunities for low-skill workers, youth, and minorities, which are the groups that policymakers are often trying to help with these policies.

There is no “free lunch” when the government mandates a minimum wage. If the government requires that certain workers be paid higher wages, then businesses make adjustments to pay for the added costs, such as reducing hiring, cutting employee work hours, reducing benefits, and charging higher prices. Some policymakers may believe that companies simply absorb the costs of minimum wage increases through reduced profits, but that’s rarely the case. Instead, businesses rationally respond to such mandates by cutting employment and making other decisions to maintain their net earnings. These behavioral responses usually offset the positive labor market results that policymakers are hoping for.

This study reviews the economic models used to understand minimum wage laws and examines the empirical evidence. It describes why most of the academic evidence points to negative effects from minimum wages, and discusses why some studies may produce seemingly positive results.

Some federal and state policymakers are currently considering increases in minimum wages, but such policy changes would be particularly damaging in today’s sluggish economy. Instead, federal and state governments should focus on policies that generate faster economic growth, which would generate rising wages and more opportunities for all workers.
http://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/negative-effects-minimum-wage-laws
No reason at all ...

Last edited:

You got a source on that?

Here's a clue...banning all raises in minimum wage IS forcing people to live in poverty. But you know that. You're just trying to protect your greed. Funny, how the greedy think they are immune to Karma.

They're not banning increasing wages, they're saying government can't dictate wages. Do you understand that those are different?

Do you understand that banning towns and cites from raising minimum wages IS dictating?

Its the normal process of most States, based on their constitution. You are a citizen of a State, not of your county, city, town, village, whatever. Your sovereignty flows from the state, and you are represented by your state legislator.

raising the federal minimum wage and indexing it to inflation will see benefits that will outweigh the costs.

What are the costs? Could you spell them out?

New Oklahoma state law bans all cities and towns from raising the minimum wage. The republican war on workers continues. They won't quit until everyone gets paid $2.13 an hour.

Oklahoma bans local minimum wage increases - Apr. 15, 2014

Oklahoma cons ban living wage

Liar!
Many living in Oklahoma make a living wage.

Heh.. technically, all of them do.

Some have living pensions or living savings.
Many liberals have "living in their parent's basement".

I do, Marty, but I'm new to the board and I can't post URLs. Google "IGM Forum minimum wage" and it should be at the top of your Google search.

I do, Marty, but I'm new to the board and I can't post URLs. Google "IGM Forum minimum wage" and it should be at the top of your Google search.

I did and will continue to make you out to be the lying sack of shit I keep telling everyone you are ...

you either can not read, have no comprehension skills, or just totally fucking ignorant ...

economix-04questionminwage-blog480.jpg

economix-04questionBminwage-blog480.jpg

Can you do simple fucking math??

4/5 = .8 or 80%

Can you read the fucking pictures ....

34% and 42% respectively .....

See how easy that was for me...

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/what-economists-think-about-raising-the-minimum-wage/

Tell me this much, if someone wants to work for less than the minimum wage, why shouldn't they be allowed to?

Calling you out on your stupidity and greed, you call a dodge...BWAH HA HA HA HA!

Calling you out on your stupidity and greed, you call a dodge...BWAH HA HA HA HA!

You people demanding higher minimum wage seem to be the greedy / needy .....

As for who is "the most stupid in this conversation", it is clearly evident that you are running neck and neck with some others for the lead ...

Because it was, and still is. Why shouldn't someone be allowed to work for less than them minimum wage if they're ok with it? I just don't see any moral case for telling them they can't. I agree, most people wouldn't want to, but some would - and I don't see why they should be treated as criminals.

According to their charts its about 2.5 out of 5. you can't count the uncertains. Also the whole weighted by confidence thing is a bullshit tactic to get the result you want.

According to their charts its about 2.5 out of 5. you can't count the uncertains. Also the whole weighted by confidence thing is a bullshit tactic to get the result you want.

I don't agree about your appraisal of weighting the results for confidence, but okay. Let's just look at the first graph. Not counting the uncertains, that's 47% "agree or strongly agree" vs 11% "disagree or strongly disagree." That's actually a little greater than a 4 to 1 ratio.

You're right that it's 2.5 out of 5. My statement earlier would have been more accurate if I'd added, of those who have taken a position. But my point stands; the collective opinion of actual economists is strongly weighted in favor of the minimum wage.

I don't agree about your appraisal of weighting the results for confidence, but okay. Let's just look at the first graph. Not counting the uncertains, that's 47% "agree or strongly agree" vs 11% "disagree or strongly disagree." That's actually a little greater than a 4 to 1 ratio.

You're right that it's 2.5 out of 5. My statement earlier would have been more accurate if I'd added, of those who have taken a position. But my point stands; the collective opinion of actual economists is strongly weighted in favor of the minimum wage.

Only if you ignore people who rightly say they can't predict the effect with enough certainty to warrant changes.

More typical data manipulation from progressives. color me shocked.

Forum List

Back